What did we learn? Fordham Edition

seaofred92

57 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

I think there are definitely some called gives, though. Several times, if AM was actually making a read, he should have pulled it (on regular read option).

Also, no bad snaps, right? Way to go, Jurgy!

I didnt watch the entire game on film- just the 20 minutes of highlights. 

One bad snap that I remember in person

I think one thing we learned was the value of having some “patsies” on the schedule to get some confidence and Ws under our belts.  I know they are not as easy to find as they used to be, but we don’t need to apologize for anything as I see even mighty ‘Bama plays Mercer next week.

Hopefully Frost has learned to trust his eyes a little better.  Stepp looked to me the much more fluid runner last week and I think he’s listed at 6’ 1” 230.  How he wasn’t the starter from the get go puzzles me.  While it’s water under the bridge now, maybe we are 2-0 if we’d featured Stepp against the Illini.

I REALLY want Frost to work out and to me that was fubar but otherwise I think we can still get better each week and win our share of B1G games this year.  I consider anything but the OSU game as ones we should have a decent chance to win.

Toure is the real deal, we are deep on offensive skill positions and across the entire defense.  OK I’ll take off my rose colored glasses but with them on I see a team that could be pretty good.

Also we were reminded that that season is not over after week one, LOL.

18 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

4th quarter at the 11:35 mark. Watch Ramir’s block. Is that how it’s suppose to look? 

Is that the play when Smoothers fumbles? Looks like a speed option where they key off the safety. That could be a wrinkle for Smoothers since he's faster; where they block the EMOL & corner, then attack the safety in space.

2 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Is that the play when Smoothers fumbles? Looks like a speed option where they key off the safety. That could be a wrinkle for Smoothers since he's faster; where they block the EMOL & corner, then attack the safety in space.

No it’s a completion to Betts. RJ looked confused. 

Special teams is going to cost us at least one more game.   While not as bad as the last game, I still seem some very red flags.

Obviously they can't all be FCS teams and if you schedule 5 or more years out there is no telling how good they might be in the future, but we need to try to schedule 3 weak teams in our preseason a year until we consistently get at least 7 wins a season again.  We don't need to worry about strength of schedule for national championships anytime soon.

• Plus1 2
44 minutes ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

Special teams is going to cost us at least one more game.   While not as bad as the last game, I still seem some very red flags.

Obviously they can't all be FCS teams and if you schedule 5 or more years out there is no telling how good they might be in the future, but we need to try to schedule 3 weak teams in our preseason a year until we consistently get at least 7 wins a season again.  We don't need to worry about strength of schedule for national championships anytime soon.

Replace CTB and I think they will be fine. 

• Plus1 1