What did we learn? Fordham Edition

seaofred92

6 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

What I love about this season is we either make a bowl or we don’t. No in between. And we’re gonna have to beat 4 B1G teams (or Oklahoma) to pull it off. Fordham got us one step closer to our goal. Nut up or shut up time baby!!!

You are right - assuming we beat Buffalo (which is not a sure thing at all), NU is going to have to beat 4 Big Ten teams.  Where are the 4 wins?  

I'm writing off OSU as a loss now.  Same with OU (even though that is a non-con).  It is reasonable to think NU might (MIGHT) be able to beat Purdue and Northwestern at home.  That's 2.  I suppose NU will have a shot at MSU and Minnesota - though I suspect NU will be an underdog in both. You certainly cannot pencil in either of those games as a win.

That leaves us with home games against Michigan and Iowa, and a road game at Wisconsin.  I think NU is going to have to win at least 1 of those games in order to get to 6 wins.  They may need to win 2, or even all 3.

I just don't see it.  I have seen nothing from Scott Frost's teams in 3+ seasons that indicates they can rise to the occasion often enough to get to 6 wins.  In fact, I think we are going to end up with 5, gnashing our teeth at giving away that Illinois game.

• Plus1 4
16 minutes ago, Husker4Real said:

You are right - assuming we beat Buffalo (which is not a sure thing at all), NU is going to have to beat 4 Big Ten teams.  Where are the 4 wins?  

I'm writing off OSU as a loss now.  Same with OU (even though that is a non-con).  It is reasonable to think NU might (MIGHT) be able to beat Purdue and Northwestern at home.  That's 2.  I suppose NU will have a shot at MSU and Minnesota - though I suspect NU will be an underdog in both. You certainly cannot pencil in either of those games as a win.

That leaves us with home games against Michigan and Iowa, and a road game at Wisconsin.  I think NU is going to have to win at least 1 of those games in order to get to 6 wins.  They may need to win 2, or even all 3.

I just don't see it.  I have seen nothing from Scott Frost's teams in 3+ seasons that indicates they can rise to the occasion often enough to get to 6 wins.  In fact, I think we are going to end up with 5, gnashing our teeth at giving away that Illinois game.

I’m just happy we get to watch it play out. No more wondering. Personally I would be surprised if he pulls it out. But there is still a chance. 

5 hours ago, The Duke said:

They have utilized that Pistol option with the Orbit/Jet-Motion enough in these first two games to where I believe it it is not just a gimmick but will be a real part of our offense going forward.

I can't help but think Frost is holding a few new wrinkles back to use for the Oklahoma game.

We've been running the triple option with orbit since Frost has been here. I'm pretty sure they used to run it with Mariota at Oregon too. If you can pick up yards on the run it opens up a lot of play action opportunities as well.

9 minutes ago, ZRod said:

We've been running the triple option with orbit since Frost has been here. I'm pretty sure they used to run it with Mariota at Oregon too. If you can pick up yards on the run it opens up a lot of play action opportunities as well.

Im pretty sure it's a double option, it's called. He isnt giving to the RB on the called double option. JUST LIKE what Osborne did in his day- ALL double options.

Yes you might see a give to the RB with window dressing orbit motion behind it- but its CLEARLY a called give. 

Hopeful we see the play action off of this which was deadly during the Osborne years. 

• Plus1 1

12 hours ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Stepp should be the option A at RB. Offense seems to flow easier with him in, churns out yards and isn't afraid of contact. Reminds me of Ozigbo. Offensive coaches should take notice and plug him in and ride him for awhile each game. Sub in Ervin, Scott, Morrison & Johnson as changes of pace but bulk of carries should go to Stepp. With some decent blocking, first downs should follow.

More pressure coverage in the secondary would be nice. Opponents seem to find big, open holes in our defense while we often struggle to get separation from defenses. 

Stepp hit's quicker while the others it takes longer for their runs to develop it seems which is affected by the line play. Plus the others timing should improve with experience. 

37 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Im pretty sure it's a double option, it's called. He isnt giving to the RB on the called double option. JUST LIKE what Osborne did in his day- ALL double options.

Yes you might see a give to the RB with window dressing orbit motion behind it- but its CLEARLY a called give. 

Hopeful we see the play action off of this which was deadly during the Osborne years. 

Reminded me of this for anyone interested.

https://rileykolstefootball.com/2018/06/26/the-chip-kelly-mark-helfrich-scott-frost-pin-pull-sweep/

5 hours ago, BigRedN said:

Had no desire to watch this game.  Was surprised when I saw the score.  Good for them.  Then I saw Illinois and them losing to USTA and it sort of put it all into perspective for me.  

Wow, you must be a magical being. You don’t watch two games, only see the scores, and it puts everything into perspective for you. Might be time to consider the thought that maybe you aren’t using a very good process for learning or developing opinions and perspective.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I’m just happy we get to watch it play out. No more wondering. Personally I would be surprised if he pulls it out. But there is still a chance. 

Same.  Diehard fan that has witnessed the highest of highs and our recent wandering in the desert. Just glad we have football and fans and a multitude of games on Sat.  I wanted Frost then, and still want him to succeed.  Just unsure it'll happen.  I also didn't think Tulane would go toe to toe with OU, Iowa would mud stop Indiana, Clemson would get 2 yards rushing etc.....It'll be hard, but that's why we play the game.  Any given Sat........  

Yesterday was Fordham.  It was a win. I could care less about the quality of opponent.  Winning is winning.  And this team, staff, fans etc needed it.

• Plus1 3

It's college football.  Extrapolating what one opponent does vs another team then applying it to how good your team is never works.  Someone did this a few years back when Alabama won the national title with one loss.  It turned out they would have gotten stomped by Yale or some such.

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, Nebraska55fan said:

It's not. It's a true triple. They leave the EMOLS unblocked and the first defender outside the EMOLS unblocked.

Yes, Oz never ran the triple, but Chip and Scott do. They also run it as an RPO triple, which we haven't seen yet this year, but I think the blocking on those plays is set up for the RPO to be ran depending on how many guys are in the box. Against Illinois they actually had an RPO called that Adrian should have passed on, but he gave to the RB who got stuffed at the goal line.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, ZRod said:

It's not. It's a true triple. They leave the EMOLS unblocked and the first defender outside the EMOLS unblocked

Watch when they GIVE to the RB- the spacing and effort isn't there with the QB and Orbit back. It does look like a true triple, but isn't.  Osbornes looked like they were- they weren't. 

You are correct on the blocking and we give it away by formation. Hope to see more of it AND see Allen come off that block on the LB and slide behind the safety for a big gain. It should be there. 

19 minutes ago, ZRod said:

It's not. It's a true triple. They leave the EMOLS unblocked and the first defender outside the EMOLS unblocked.

Yes, Oz never ran the triple, but Chip and Scott do. They also run it as an RPO triple, which we haven't seen yet this year, but I think the blocking on those plays is set up for the RPO to be ran depending on how many guys are in the box. Against Illinois they actually had an RPO called that Adrian should have passed on, but he gave to the RB who got stuffed at the goal line.

OZ did run pass option off the double option- which would make it a triple. He never ran the true triple run option. 

I dont doubt we rupo off this- but I havent really seen it as a 3 run option.