Buffalo Week Pressers

Mavric

43 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

They need to do two things on top of what they have already been doing in the passing game.  They want to get Toure the ball.  That's great but I don't want it to turn into the Wandale dilemma when its like they are trying to get him the ball too much.  Get your huge TE involved more.  Find a way to use Toure to get either Manning or Martin open.   This is the difference between this year and last.  Who was getting the ball if Wandale or Allen/Stoll wasn't?  Nobody.  Have to make other teams scheme to stop everyone not just Toure 

I agree.  It did feel at times that QB locked onto Samori. 

I have been pleased with Omar after 2 games, especially the YAC and his physical toughness.  Oliver obviously has super speed, and Allen is reliable and physical with the ball.  Spreed it around to all 4 and it is a dangerous passing game.  Would live to see QB make quicker decisions and fire it.  Those guys are just waiting to make plays.  Will probably happen as season progresses.

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

What?  No OSU?  This has to be a mistake.

I know you are kidding, but with the latest Big Ten scheduling where they announced the 2022-2025 schedules, the conference swapped out Ohio State as NU's "earmarked" cross-divisional opponent and put in Michigan.  Wisconsin will play Ohio State each year, while Iowa gets Rutgers.  That seems really equitable.  :dunno

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I know you are kidding, but with the latest Big Ten scheduling where they announced the 2022-2025 schedules, the conference swapped out Ohio State as NU's "earmarked" cross-divisional opponent and put in Michigan.  Wisconsin will play Ohio State each year, while Iowa gets Rutgers.  That seems really equitable.  :dunno

:facepalm:

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
5 hours ago, Undone said:

Good theory there.

Against Oklahoma we should just bring out our riskiest possible game plan; no way we beat them unless we take big risks and go big.

Speaking of Oklahoma, living in Tulsa there is a lot of 'concern' in the air.  A lot of folks really concerned that OU isn't and possibly won't live up to the pre-season hype (sound familiar <_<).  Anyway, looking at the replay of the OU/Tulane game gave me some hope --- if we get our act together.  OU will score points but I believe our D is better than Tulane's D and I think if Frost opens up the offensive playbook we can score plenty on OU --IF WE DON'T SELF DESTRUCT WITH PENALTIES AND STUPID MISTAKES (AM don't fumble!!)  Seeing some triple option play with Toure gave me some hope that Frost will open up the playbook.  Seeing Stepp's consistency at running back gave me some hope as well.  If our OL can gel by then and we get the run game going, then I think our use of our talented TE, WR and Slot Receivers will be able to score on that D. 

Of course, the opposite could happen, OU wakes up and plays up to the pre-season hype and potential.   I would really love to see us upset OU in Norman.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Watching the game Saturday, I was very frustrated with our defense.  They were giving up yardage in the first half pretty bad and we weren't getting to the QB.  I think they had around 245 yards at half.  

But, rewatching, I think I see what was happening.  In the first half, it seemed like we were playing off of the receivers a lot.  Possibly in zone coverage.  At half, that changed and we started playing a lot tighter coverage at the line.  So, in the first half, their QB was making a lot of very quick throws to guys finding the opening in the defense.  After half, they weren't able to do that.  We started to get more pressure on him and they only gained like 40-45 yards all half.

What, we actually made adjustments?   That is a good thing- maybe some maturing of the staff going on there.

3 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I remember looking years ago and really liking the 2022 schedule. Only lose 1 starter on offense (possibly) and will have a real strong front 7 on defense. 

The problem with looking at 2022 or 2023 is that we have to get through 2021, show improvement so that the team have momentum, and we don't have a major staff change.

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, admo said:

wait til you see 2024.  It's a doozy. 

At Colorado

Vs N Illinois

Vs Illinois

Vs Northwestern

At Minnesota

Vs Ohio State

Vs Wisconsin

At Michigan

At Penn State

At Ohio State

Vs Iowa

So, we only drop OSU for two years, then they congratulate us on that by putting Michigan AND PSU on the schedule with them.  What a load of BS.

Meanwhile, in 2024, Iowa has Rutgers, Maryland and Indiana.

At least Wisconsin has the same three we have.

• Haha 1
48 minutes ago, admo said:

I agree.  It did feel at times that QB locked onto Samori. 

Don't take this as me arguing.   :D

Going back through the quick YouTube highlights versions of the game, I feel like possibly a more accurate version is that Samori is just really finding his groove at getting himself open.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

Biggest thing that sticks out to me heading into this game and then also for the other games that are winnable on our schedule (Michigan St, Purdue, Minnesota, Northwestern, Iowa): Will Frost be stubborn with the idea that every first quarter has to consist of steady zone read handoffs to establish the power run...even if it isn't working?

Or is he just using these first few games to try to get reps in on that concept and will switch it up down the B1G stretch?

Illinois is probably a pretty bad team that winds up going either 4-8 or 5-7. We had a lot of trouble getting the chains moving in the first half and were down 16-9 at the half. Then against an FCS team the score was just 10-7 NU with 7:40 left in the second quarter before we really started getting the offense rolling.

Pretty concerning there. Obviously it's a 4 quarter game and we rolled Fordham to the tune of 52-7 and over 600 yards of offense...but we can't be behind in the first half in these games we have to win to get to 6-6.

• Plus1 1