Buffalo Week Pressers

Mavric

23 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

Just grab someone out of the student section who isn't completely drunk.  Probably not much of a difference.

What worries me is that we made many of the same mistakes in both of our first 2 games. People see the 52-7 score and a lot of people turned off their fire alarms. Hopefully this changes tomorrow or we might be in more of a dog fight than many think. 

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

What worries me is that we made many of the same mistakes in both of our first 2 games. People see the 52-7 score and a lot of people turned off their fire alarms. Hopefully this changes tomorrow or we might be in more of a dog fight than many think. 

I'm with you.  The first half still had issues and Fordham missed a wide open post close near the goal line to take the lead midway through the second quarter.  If they hit that does the team press like normal make more mistakes? Instead the QB airmailed it and then we block the FG. We then overwhelmed them with depth and they were worn out in the second half.

This team can't take any game for granted and neither should fans.  I'm expecting a tight game for 4 quarters.

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I really think he's just trying to do too much.  

Frost said he's still the guy.  So I'm sure he'll get another shot.

I'd actually like to see what he can do if he would actually get one to return.

I'm guessing it's probably nerves when that ball is in the air. Because there's no way he's dropping/muffing em in practice like that because if he were, he wouldn't have been selected to return punts, right?

So I really feel for him. But I've said this before and I'll say it again - we are legitimately and I believe even statistically at the point right now where if we screw up one more punt in a key game, we would be better off just putting Pheldarius Payne back there to jack one of their bullet men on each punt and let the ball bounce than to do what we're doing now.

Does anybody happen to know whether it's Becton or Dawson that works with the punt return team?

1 hour ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I don't think we really made any of the same mistakes.

People get frustrated - which is understandable - and all of the sudden everything is "the same mistakes."  No, there were mistakes but they're all different.

People complained after Illinois that it's "the same special teams mistakes that we've seen for years".  No, it wasn't.  Our All-B1G kicker didn't miss any PATs last year.  We haven't had a punt returner field the ball going into the end zone then try to throw it back out.  We didn't see any of that against Fordham.  It was a punt return mistake but it was a completely different situation.

There are still things to be worried about.  But only if you are painting with the broadest of brushes are the "the same mistakes."

• Plus1 4
1 minute ago, Undone said:

I'm guessing it's probably nerves when that ball is in the air. Because there's no way he's dropping/muffing em in practice like that because if he were, he wouldn't have been selected to return punts, right?

So I really feel for him. But I've said this before and I'll say it again - we are legitimately and I believe even statistically at the point right now where if we screw up one more punt in a key game, we would be better off just putting Pheldarius Payne back there to jack one of their bullet men on each punt and let the ball bounce than to do what we're doing now.

Yeah, the Illinois gaffe was obviously just thinking he could make a huge play and wanting to justify being put out there as PR1.  Just plain old bad judgement in the heat of the moment.  Then he slipped and compounded the situation.

I really have a hard time faulting him for the Fordham muff.  That ball just took a really odd bounce and it was just reaction to reach for it when it's whizzing past your head.  If he would have let it go and it would have rolled 20 more yards downfield people would have been all over him for that as well.

• Plus1 4
14 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I really have a hard time faulting him for the Fordham muff.  That ball just took a really odd bounce and it was just reaction to reach for it when it's whizzing past your head.  If he would have let it go and it would have rolled 20 more yards downfield people would have been all over him for that as well.

Eh, not me.

He let a punt bounce off his numbers in the second half against Iowa last year that they recovered. You can only give the other team the ball back so many times on punts before it's just flat out ridiculous to keep trotting that same player back out there that's making mistake after mistake.

And I'll even double down: Frost will never have a team that contends for even just the West title if he doesn't get issues like this squarely turned around.

• Plus1 3