Buffalo Week Pressers

Mavric

Yeah, I think we can call 3 punt return blunders by the same guy the same problem. Every punt is a different situation but one guy messing it up by making bad decisions is the same problem. If it happens again it’s not CTB’s fault, it’s the coaches fault for not making a change. Surely this team has another guy that can field punts without channeling the keystone cops.

• Plus1 5

50 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I don't think we really made any of the same mistakes.

People get frustrated - which is understandable - and all of the sudden everything is "the same mistakes."  No, there were mistakes but they're all different.

People complained after Illinois that it's "the same special teams mistakes that we've seen for years".  No, it wasn't.  Our All-B1G kicker didn't miss any PATs last year.  We haven't had a punt returner field the ball going into the end zone then try to throw it back out.  We didn't see any of that against Fordham.  It was a punt return mistake but it was a completely different situation.

There are still things to be worried about.  But only if you are painting with the broadest of brushes are the "the same mistakes."

not exactly the same mistakes no. But I lump special teams gaffes into the same category. Our offensive line play is full of mistakes, whether that is improper pad level/leverage. Missing receivers, RB taking the wrong hole etc. Granted this was the majority of the first half and not as much as the game went on. Was that because we cleaned it up or was that because Fordham had no depth and we simply began to walk over them as any P5 school should at that point? We consistently make things look hard instead of easy. This isnt just a Frost thing but has been something that has gone on for quite awhile now. 

• Plus1 5

The biggest thing I'm looking at tomorrow is that if we're not getting five yards a pop on handoffs by our second drive, gotta switch it up and get creative earlier on in the passing game and not just keep smashing a back who is relatively ineffective into the pile (see: Illinois game).

Maybe Buffalo comes in as a pretty good team, or maybe they suck. But we shouldn't be playing from behind against a MAC team. The score shouldn't be close that close at half time with all of the weapons we have on offense IMO.

9 minutes ago, Undone said:

The biggest thing I'm looking at tomorrow is that if we're not getting five yards a pop on handoffs by our second drive, gotta switch it up and get creative earlier on in the passing game and not just keep smashing a back who is relatively ineffective into the pile (see: Illinois game).

That's what we've been doing right from the start.  I don't know why we are struggling so badly to get the running game going but when we get stuffed on first down we go to the pass.

First play of the game against Illinois Ervin got stuffed for one yard.  On second down we threw for a first down.  Then we ran Ervin again for zero followed by two passes.  The next possession we threw on first down then ran.  

21 minutes ago, Mavric said:

That's what we've been doing right from the start.  I don't know why we are struggling so badly to get the running game going but when we get stuffed on first down we go to the pass.

First play of the game against Illinois Ervin got stuffed for one yard.  On second down we threw for a first down.  Then we ran Ervin again for zero followed by two passes.  The next possession we threw on first down then ran.  

I do agree that we were surprisingly effective on a couple of those 2nd/3rd & longs.

This is now an aside, Mav, and doesn't have much to do with my original post you had quoted: This play was on drive #3. I can't see all of the other plays in this drive that got us to their 49. But, talk about a freaking awesome play call and execution on first down here:

Then just a couple plays later, Stepp gets the fortune of better blocking that we've talked about Ervin not getting as much of. Crazy there.

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, The Dude said:

The problem with games like this at this stage in Frost's tenure is if we win, meh, we did what we were supposed to do.  If we lose, burn the whole thing down.

And it's not that crazy to think Nebraska might find a way to lose this one.

Isnt that how a fanbase should be in year 4 after our last 3 year of results though? I mean if Frost has winning records in year 2 and 3 we arent having this conversation if we are currently 1-1. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Isnt that how a fanbase should be in year 4 after our last 3 year of results though? I mean if Frost has winning records in year 2 and 3 we arent having this conversation if we are currently 1-1. 

Yep. We’ve been well conditioned to expect things to go south.

It doesn’t help that Buffalo is likely as good or better than 2 or 3 teams in the B1G West. Besides Fordham and Bethune, I can’t say there are any teams we can count on beating yet.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
49 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

It doesn’t help that Buffalo is likely as good or better than 2 or 3 teams in the B1G West.

Still trying figure out why people think Buffalo is some P5-level monster team, when they ain't even played a P5 team in two full years, and don't even have the same head coach as they did back then. What, they put up a bunch of points against a peewee school that's only won a single game in the last two years and probably shouldn't even be in D-1? FFS, Fordham would've probably put up 40+ against Wagner.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Just now, Toe said:

Still trying figure out why people think Buffalo is some P5-level monster team, when they ain't even played a P5 team in two full years. What, they put up a bunch of points against a peewee school with less than 2000 students that's only won a single game in the last two years and probably shouldn't even be in D-1? FFS, Fordham would've probably put up 40+ against Wagner.

My comment was based on the last couple of years and not on the Wagner game. Maybe you’re right and I’m wrong. I think we may have our hands full if we play like we did the first quarter and a half last week. I might start believing once the Huskers put together more than 2.5 quarters of football. Nebraska has not earned any respect and has proven they can struggle with anybody. I was including Nebraska in that 2 or 3 teams in the West.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Decked said:

These guys just refuse to learn 

it will be the same s#!t until Frost is canned. Guy is too stubborn. Besides the penalties/turnovers he is perhaps one of the worst personnel coaches in power five ball. 

Put down the Busch lattes brother...