Fordham Play-by-Play

Mavric

Interesting input by MRI.  The nice thing is that on this play, everyone is covered other than the QB.  Problem is, even if the ILB takes the RB going to the flats and the OLB takes the inside RB, there still isn't a defender to stop the QB before he makes a decent gain.  And, there is a chance the ILB isn'g going to get to the RB in the flats early enough to cover him.

Slightly off-topic, but, watch this. All respect to this kid, but most of the plays, no one even TRIES to block him. I don't know if it's the scheme, Greg Austin, or what, but this is an enormous failure for a blue-blood, national brand program like ours. In what world of college football does your offensive scheme not account for the middle linebacker, possibly the best player on their team?

Starting to lose faith in Frost. I want to believe, but what the HECK?

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

In what world of college football does your offensive scheme not account for the middle linebacker, possibly the best player on their team?

I think you're making a good point, but also we put up 633 yards of offense on them. And if Martinez would have played the entire game we probably crack 60 points and wind up with 700 - 750 yards of offense.

I do think our O linemen are struggling to push up and block at the second level on running plays - and that reinforces your point IMO.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

Slightly off-topic, but, watch this. All respect to this kid, but most of the plays, no one even TRIES to block him. I don't know if it's the scheme, Greg Austin, or what, but this is an enormous failure for a blue-blood, national brand program like ours. In what world of college football does your offensive scheme not account for the middle linebacker, possibly the best player on their team?

There are plenty of legitimate reasons to be losing faith, an opposing kid playing out of his mind is not one of them. Some pretty poor block attempts, and second what @Undone said - the OL did not climb up to him very well. But we ran the ball 65 times and had 95 total plays - there were tackles to be had. 

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I really like this play. 

We have seen:

Give to the RB

QB Keep

QB Keep with a pitch to Toure

I see two more options:

There is a TE on the left side that could fake block then break open down the middle

Toure could end up in a wheel route down the left side if the TE is covered.

On this particular play, I would think that Jurgens should move to the second level to block the LB.  He stays at the LOS and really doesn't contribute anything with his block.

I know this wasn't posters ?, but this is a straddle option, split zone is when the H-back comes across the formation, & blocks the backside defender.  I really don't like seeing that from NU, because you are no longer playing 11 on 11 in the run game at that point, although I do realize they do this to set up other plays.

The more I watch this NU offense under Frost, the more convinced I am they aren't reading anything, and are predetermining reads.  I know Gus Malzahn does that for example, but they are misreading a lot of mesh point decisions if they are reading...

1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

There are plenty of legitimate reasons to be losing faith, an opposing kid playing out of his mind is not one of them. Some pretty poor block attempts, and second what @Undone said - the OL did not climb up to him very well. But we ran the ball 65 times and had 95 total plays - there were tackles to be had. 

I sort of get what you are saying, but just because we ran a lot of plays doesn't mean the guys don't have to do their jobs or shouldn't have had the proper assignments given to them by the coaches.  This stuff will get us killed in nearly every game moving forward if it doesn't get cleaned up.

If you watch the film very closely you will see our guards getting jammed up, not being able to climb to LB level. What often times happens and its tough to see is Dlinemen will hold, even go down low and wrap an arm around the thigh of one or both Olinemen- or a leg and shoulder. Their only goal is when they feel the initial double team of a zone block is to take up both blockers to leave the LB free. They did this. D linemen are RARELY called for holding.

1 hour ago, Jeremy said:

The interesting question would be this: what's the average gained yards before contact? I'm guessing 90% of those tackles occured at least 3 yards downfield. 

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

1 hour ago, Jeremy said:

We all arrive at a point in time where realism meets idealism.  For me, it was the complete collapse at the hands of 1st Year Head Coach Mel Tucker in Boulder two years ago.  Incidentally, the same Mel Tucker who will out-scheme Coach Frost when we play MSU in a couple of weeks.  

At any rate, with my late arrival to the Board this week perhaps I missed the congratulatory messages to the staff and players with UTSA for their win over Illinois.  Watching that team offensively outmaneuver and outplay the same Illinois defense that held us in check the previous week further illustrated how much we are underperforming.

No need to analyze the tape gents, the results speak for themselves.

• Thanks 2
14 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

The interesting question would be this: what's the average gained yards before contact? I'm guessing 90% of those tackles occured at least 3 yards downfield. 

2 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

EDIT: I checked the stats; they have him down for 1 TFL. 

This was my question as well. Where were those tackles made? If we're gaining four or five yards on all of his tackles, who cares how many tackles he has.

We gained 600 yards of offense. This kid had a unicorn game where he made an a$$ ton of tackles. Those two things can happen and still not be bad for Nebraska. 

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

The bold portion is what I saw a lot of. Watching the video, Greenhagen was "blocked". I put it in quotes because they barely touched him most of the time. Once Juergens went for a low chip block, but the paly hadn't gotten there yet and Greenhagen just went around him. In defense of the line (don't be angry with me) they did block, just very poor blocks.

• Plus1 2