New look Big 12, thoughts?

Nebhawk

I am sure everyone has varying opinions about the move by the Big 12.  I however think that its a decent move for them considering they have enough clout without OU and Texas to keep there Power 5 status.  Its in the NCAA bylaws. 

First off, if and when the playoffs expand, to a 12 team system, it won't matter much.  Second, right now the SEC isn't looked at very nicely by the others and thats good to hear. 

Third, When Saban retires, the SEC won't have the dominate team and league.  SEC has rode the coattails of Bama and its greatness.  There won't be 3 deep NFL players at Bama.  Those players will be spread out through the nation once again leading to more parity.  ESPN and CBS doesn't want to hear that, but its like everything else, its cyclical. 

Will the Big 12 be actually relevant?  Not really unless they schedule games against other P5 conferences.  Will that happen?  I think so, but depends on how things are looked at by others.  Will ESPN push for the SEC more once these things happen, yes.

I think the Cincy and Houston additions are huge media markets to have if I am the New Big 12, and adding BYU  is a national brand, and UCF is including the state of FLorida.  Not bad in my opinion.  Maybe we should go back and rejoin now.  No Texas makes this way more appealing for now.  We know that this era of realignment isn't over yet, but this might subside things for another 10 years.  Once the SEC is no longer the power, they might have teams running for the next best thing. 

• Plus1 1

Probably need to let it digest a bit but to be brutally honest, this move doesnt move the needle for me at all and is just going to lead to a slower/inevitable painful death for that poorly ran conference.  

For football- who is their flagship program?  Perhaps cincinnati bucks the trend and they turn into a consistent force but history would say this team will fizzle out as soon as some of the recruits they hit on graduate.  I guess BYU is a national brand- but i dont necessarily associate them with sports excellence

UCF nice grab for florida recruiting purposes but they will always be a far lesser option for those instate kids compared to going with Florida, miami, Fsu

Maybe big12 being a power conf helps elevate some of these additions to be consistent winners but we thought the same might happen to TCU/WVU when they joined the big12 and that really hasnt panned out

Ok move given the limited options but oustide of kansas basketball there really isnt a single reason for the big12 to have my sports attention

Did I miss something? Has the Big XII made an announcement about specific teams they will be adding to the conference? I’m confused. I sort of assumed the remaining Big XII teams will be seeking life elsewhere.

Adding Cincy, UCF and BYU would be about as good as it gets for the Big XII. Still seems like desperate flailing against the inevitable.

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, JJ Husker said:

Did I miss something? Has the Big XII made an announcement about specific teams they will be adding to the conference? I’m confused. I sort of assumed the remaining Big XII teams will be seeking life elsewhere.

Cincy (lame because they get no eyes on TV)

UCF (sort of okay but no eyes)

Houston (not one person in Texas has ever said "Hey, can you turn on the Houston game?")

BYU (might be the best name of the 4.)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Cincy (lame because they get no eyes on TV)

UCF (sort of okay but no eyes)

Houston (not one person in Texas has ever said "Hey, can you turn on the Houston game?")

BYU (might be the best name of the 4.)

I keep hearing media markets for reasons which make Cincy and Houston good choices for conference expansions. But, as you correctly point out, nobody watches Houston or Cincy games. Houstonites are more likely to watch UT, A&M, or even LSU, and Ohio State has a stranglehold on the entire Ohio area.

BYU actually has a good following because of the whole Mormon thing, but that can also make them challenging to deal with schedule wise, for non-football sports as they don't play on Sundays. 

Cincy, UCF, and BYU will never have a conference road game that is within a reasonable driving distance (except West Virginia for Cincinnati). That doesn't matter much to the fan bases because UCF and Cincy don't really have fans anyway. But it is going to suck for the athletes who have to travel. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
10 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I keep hearing media markets for reasons which make Cincy and Houston good choices for conference expansions. But, as you correctly point out, nobody watches Houston or Cincy games. Houstonites are more likely to watch UT, A&M, or even LSU, and Ohio State has a stranglehold on the entire Ohio area.

BYU actually has a good following because of the whole Mormon thing, but that can also make them challenging to deal with schedule wise, for non-football sports as they don't play on Sundays. 

Yep!

I mean I get those are some big markets but you know who most UC grads are fans of...OSU.

UCF is a commuter school in a state that has UF, FSU and Miami

Houston doesn't even count, I would bet you find more ND fans in Houston than you do Houston fans.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Ulty said:

Cincy, UCF, and BYU will never have a conference road game that is within a reasonable driving distance (except West Virginia for Cincinnati). That doesn't matter much to the fan bases because UCF and Cincy don't really have fans anyway. But it is going to suck for the athletes who have to travel. 

This is interesting as well and very true.  It is really hard to build a brand when your fans (or lack of) won't travel.

Rutgers to Nebraska isn't alot different than some of those games in the New Big 12 as far as traveling goes. 

College football is not ever going to be the same.  Thats the world we live in.  I wished we never left the Big 12 for what we have now.  Sure, the new Big 12 won't have an immediate name, but they have some that can do some damage.  I mean the league didn't fold when we left did it?

• Haha 2
18 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

I wished we never left the Big 12 for what we have now. 

I mean the league didn't fold when we left did it?

Hopefully you’re just unhappy that our team has sucked. That is the case no matter which  conference we were in. Moving to the B1G was absolutely the right move by any metric.

Uh yeah, the Big XII did in effect fold. Not just because we left but CU, Mizzou, A&M….With Texas running the show, the demise was inevitable. Its been a patchwork POS ever since. Cincy, BYU and UCF are just more pieces in the quilt. At least the Pac can now say, well, at least we’re better than the Big XII.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1