New look Big 12, thoughts?

Nebhawk

38 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Hopefully you’re just unhappy that our team has sucked. That is the case no matter which  conference we were in. Moving to the B1G was absolutely the right move by any metric.

Uh yeah, the Big XII did in effect fold. Not just because we left but CU, Mizzou, A&M….With Texas running the show, the demise was inevitable. Its been a patchwork POS ever since. Cincy, BYU and UCF are just more pieces in the quilt. At least the Pac can now say, well, at least we’re better than the Big XII.

You do remember that the Sooners have been top 10 for 8 or 9 of the ten years since the BigXII "folded" ...

Right?

• Plus1 1

10 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

You do remember that the Sooners have been top 10 for 8 or 9 of the ten years since the BigXII "folded" ...

Right?

Yeah……???

One team doesn’t change my opinion of the patchwork Big XII conference as a whole. It’s pretty much been on life support since Nebraska, Colorado, Mizzou and more recently TA&M left.  Do you feel that conference is and has been at the same level as the B1G or SEC just because OU has been good?

And I did say “in effect”, I know it didn’t completely fold. Maybe a bit hyperbolic but that conference has been in constant flux and making desperate moves to avoid actually folding.

27 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Yeah……???

One team doesn’t change my opinion of the patchwork Big XII conference as a whole. It’s pretty much been on life support since Nebraska, Colorado, Mizzou and more recently TA&M left.  Do you feel that conference is and has been at the same level as the B1G or SEC just because OU has been good?

And I did say “in effect”, I know it didn’t completely fold. Maybe a bit hyperbolic but that conference has been in constant flux and making desperate moves to avoid actually folding.

I'm just busting your chops. OU, TCU, OkSt, Baylor and the Whorns have all represented pretty well on the gridiron.  It has been in Flux since "the breakup" but definitely not a complete sh*tshow. And, don't forget KU on the hoops side.

3 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

I guess BYU is a national brand- but i dont necessarily associate them with sports excellence

UCF nice grab for florida recruiting purposes but they will always be a far lesser option for those instate kids compared to going with Florida, miami, Fsu

BYU is far from a blue-blood, but they did have a fairly dominant 10 year stretch under Bronco Mendenhall, who had 99 wins in that time. Definitely were hitting the ceiling of the time for them, so increased exposure and money and pedigree will give them a good chance to be very successful.

2 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

Rutgers to Nebraska isn't alot different than some of those games in the New Big 12 as far as traveling goes. 

True, but Rutgers to Nebraska is the two furthest away programs of our whole conference, while most of the members and distances are all reasonable and geographically sensible. It's not nearly equivalent to the regular-ness of West Virginia to Utah to Texas. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

I'm just busting your chops. OU, TCU, OkSt, Baylor and the Whorns have all represented pretty well on the gridiron.  It has been in Flux since "the breakup" but definitely not a complete sh*tshow. And, don't forget KU on the hoops side.

I hear ya but it has been a struggle for the Big XII to hold a conference together. They had to add West Virginia and TCU (anyone) out of necessity. Some may say but Rutgers and Maryland, what was that? But that was for TV sets from a position of power. Quite different circumstances.

Ive always respected Oklahoma and sort of like most of the original Big 8 teams (except CU) but once they added Texas and half the failed SWC it’s been a s#!tshow imo. I might feel differently if Nebraska hadn’t dropped off at the same time.

• Plus1 2

15 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I keep hearing media markets for reasons which make Cincy and Houston good choices for conference expansions. But, as you correctly point out, nobody watches Houston or Cincy games. Houstonites are more likely to watch UT, A&M, or even LSU, and Ohio State has a stranglehold on the entire Ohio area.

BYU actually has a good following because of the whole Mormon thing, but that can also make them challenging to deal with schedule wise, for non-football sports as they don't play on Sundays. 

Being a Houstonite. I watch the games when they play someone. Like when they played OU a while back, The U not to long ago. I think this would be just as good a move for UH as it would the Big 12. If they played a schedule with 8-12 teams that had bigger media markets as well I can see OH getting better. Hell I would go to the games.

• Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, BaytownHusker said:

Being a Houstonite. I watch the games when they play someone. Like when they played OU a while back, The U not to long ago. I think this would be just as good a move for UH as it would the Big 12. If they played a schedule with 8-12 teams that had bigger media markets as well I can see OH getting better. Hell I would go to the games.

I agree.  I think it would/will be a good, competitive conference.  Nothing wrong with that.  And it levels out the field (Big 12).  And the addition of Houston and BYU adds to the basketball showcase (Baylor, Kansas, Tech - who each have made the final 4 in the last 3 March Madness tournaments.  Houston too).

On paper it's competitve.  It's like the Big 12 meets C-USA, Mountain West, the WAC, the former SWC, and Big East.

It's something I will definitely be more interested with UT and OU gone.

(New Big 12 - no particular order)

TCU

Oklahoma State

Cincinnati

Kansas State

BYU

Houston

West Virginia

Iowa State

UCF

Baylor

Kansas

Texas Tech

• Plus1 1

Houston doesnt bring much. Houston is a pro sports city. 

When I attended University in Texas and we played Houston- the chants were "cougar high" because it was a commuter campus with little student support, let alone community support. Most of the people watching college spots in Houston are Texas or A&M fans. 

BYU, CINCY definitely add some value though.