New look Big 12, thoughts?

Nebhawk

On 9/9/2021 at 11:33 AM, BaytownHusker said:

Being a Houstonite. I watch the games when they play someone. Like when they played OU a while back, The U not to long ago. I think this would be just as good a move for UH as it would the Big 12. If they played a schedule with 8-12 teams that had bigger media markets as well I can see OH getting better. Hell I would go to the games.

Yeah, but they won't play OU now.

On 9/9/2021 at 11:33 AM, BaytownHusker said:

Being a Houstonite. I watch the games when they play someone. Like when they played OU a while back, The U not to long ago. I think this would be just as good a move for UH as it would the Big 12. If they played a schedule with 8-12 teams that had bigger media markets as well I can see OH getting better. Hell I would go to the games.

Did you go to UH games? 
The campus is in a horrible area. I’m scared to ride there during mid day. I can’t imagine being out in that area after dark. 

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Yes, many times.  I love memphis.  Love it.  Going again in March.

It would be great to be part of the Big 12.  Helps bridge the gap with WV and Cincy.  Good football program and hoops.  I thought they would be a great fit to the conference a few years ago.  I hope it happens and that they eventually become the Big 14.  Not every conference has to be an ALL STAR LEAGUE. 

6 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The remaining Big 12 will not maintain Power 5 status in the long run.  Kansas will be looking to parlay its basketball program to leave for the Big Ten or potentially the PAC 12. 

Not sure what that has to do with my comment?

No reason for Kansas to change for basketball.  Teams make the tournament from small no name conferences all the time.  Regardless, the big 12 will remain a power 5 conference.  There are enough names left to hold enough "respect" to have a seat at the table when 12 teams are competing for playoff spots.  I personally think a team like BYU, who I really don't like, will capitalize and become a major power nationally.

9 hours ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Houston played the teams they wanted to play back in the day. Texas, A&M, Baylor, Arkansas.   They are a COMMUTER SCHOOL- no one has ever cared deeply for them before, they dont now, they wont in the future. They will always be "cougar high"- a former Junior College.  Their alums are not engaged, never have been even when Houston was good in the SWC or recently. They are a nothingburger. No one in Houston cares. 

The state and region are growing so quickly that the state can raise UH to it's first tier. 

3 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

The state and region are growing so quickly that the state can raise UH to it's first tier. 

Growth has NOTHING to do with it. Their students and alumni aren't engaged at all. In Texas there are so many college football teams to root for, if you didnt attend there- there are more storied programs to root for.

Its a commuter campus- which means the alumni and students dont care.  The only time they do well attendance wise is when a rival completely takes over their stadium- which happens. Its a Professional sports city. 

On 9/11/2021 at 3:08 AM, Nebraska55fan said:

Growth has NOTHING to do with it. Their students and alumni aren't engaged at all. In Texas there are so many college football teams to root for, if you didnt attend there- there are more storied programs to root for.

Its a commuter campus- which means the alumni and students dont care.  The only time they do well attendance wise is when a rival completely takes over their stadium- which happens. Its a Professional sports city. 

They have time and resources to plan for multiple generations.  At  one time you could have said the same thing about ASU and FSU.

There was even a big Texas political slap fight over this. UT wanted in on the action.  The Austen school wanted to build a "University of Texas at Houston" campus so they would benefit from the growth and not UH.  I didn't hear if it was resolved.