Tailgater Question -- Open Container Enforcement

EdRyan

Hi everyone...parent of a student here, and first time tailgater at a Nebraska football game this weekend.

We have a parking spot in the Haymarket area via stubhub...not a garage, but a parking lot spot.  

Are open container laws enforced by the cops?  Not planning on having anyone get drunk, but we would like to indulge in some adult beverages during the course of the day.

Is it enough to pour drinks in red solo cups, and stay around the car in the lot (no sidewalks), and don't act like a dumb@$$?  I'm hoping that is enough to avoid being ticketed by the police.  (Assuming a ticket is what you get for an open beer.)

Looking forward to my first tailgater!

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 3

Thanks for the responses.  

One thing I tell all my kids:  Try to learn from other people's mistakes, not your own mistakes.

So, we'll use the red cups, but we'll be watching how the other approaches work.  GBR!  Looking forward to our first tailgater and game!

• Plus1 3
5 minutes ago, EdRyan said:

Thanks for the responses.  

One thing I tell all my kids:  Try to learn from other people's mistakes, not your own mistakes.

So, we'll use the red cups, but we'll be watching how the other approaches work.  GBR!  Looking forward to our first tailgater and game!

Just be smart about it and you should be fine.  If it’s on campus they won’t be randomly checking donor lots unless there’s a problem or disturbance.  They’re already getting nervous about keeping people going to games.  If it’s off campus, I’ve heard of LPD doing lame a$$ things like undercover officers, etc.  They can’t even get game day traffic right, so I wouldn’t put anything past them.  I would always use disposable coffee cups with a lid.  So if they would ask. I would lie.  If they would ask to see, I will say no.  

• Plus1 1

There will be people drinking literally at every parking lot.  Most will use solo cups but I have seen just about everything including bottles of jack being passed around without issue.  Like others have said, you would have to intentionally do something to create a problem to get in trouble.

I’m maybe not the most experienced person on tailgating but the quite a few times I’ve been in those areas I wouldn’t have guessed there were any rules at all. Cans, bottles, cups…whatever, and nobody trying to hide anything. My guess is, if you’re not being a jerk, you can probably do about whatever you want.

• Plus1 4

If you stay in your lot with your booze you are fine, don't try to leave your lot carrying your booze and drinking.  That is all you need to do.

Also, plan on letting everyone get drunk, because they will and you will all have fun.

If you get a ticket for an open container it probably means you also have your pants around your ankles.

I have a friend that is LPD, he said the only issue is drinking your booze outside of your lot.

• Oh Yeah! 2