Jump to content


At This Point Why Continue To....


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Nebraska55fan said:

 Lukes numbers at Rice so far. Very similar to NU. At NU 6 Ints 1 TD. at Rice 3 Ints 1 TD. So hes doing better at Rice, but his TD/INT ratio is definitely upside down:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4426948/luke-mccaffrey

 

My contention is- our coaching staff isn't very good at evaluating QBs or developing them very well. And Yes, they are all fine wonderful amazing hardworking kids, they just aren't great QBs. 

We took a gamble on Luke - everyone knows that.  Half of this board was begging for him to take the reins after watching him in a few games.  Easy to see how a coaching staff would think he was worth taking a gamble on while he was playing against lesser competition in high school.

 

Adrian looks pretty damn good this year - everyone knows that as well.  Seems like a pretty good evaluation and some pretty good development.  

 

Also, that guy you were complaining about after the spring game has looked pretty damn good as well.  Smoothers, in his small sample, has looked like the best backup we have had in a long time.  So far looks like a solid evaluation and maybe even some good development since the spring.

 

Now please proceed with your cherry picked comment about something irrelevant to my post.

Link to comment

This is Martinez year 4 game 3. The past 2 years he has played poorly and not progressed well by most metrics. In 3 games so far this year, he played poorly in 1 and against lower competition in the last 2 he has played pretty well. Lets see how the rest shakes out. I love the kid, hope he does well- not a fan of who is coaching him. 

 

What we saw in any extensive action from Logan Smothers was in the Spring game, he looked pretty bad. Tiny sample size vs a very tired- hot- worn out Buffalo team. Remember last year when Luke threw the one gadget play TD and lots of people said he should start? I wasn't one of those guys and thats why small sample sizes don't mean much.  Im hoping he develops, but with Coach V- in very skeptical. 

 

Luke- looks like an older version of Smothers. Poor recruiting choice and looks like no development. 

Link to comment
14 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

 

None of us know that. 

 

Is Verduzco doing something maliciously to mess up our Quarterbacks mechanics? No

 

Is Verduzco teaching things to our players that result in poor mechanics? Maybe. 

 

Is Verduzco doing some oddball things- teaching in an ineffective and inefficient way that doesn't result in consistently good Quarterback development and play ACROSS the Quarterback room? Probably.

 

A buddy of mine who coaches 8A HS QBs in Florida said that early in Verduzcos tenure in Florida HS coaches would consider what Mario does and try to learn from him. Now they just roll their eyes- they think he does things the way he does JUST TO DRAW ATTENTION TO HE IS DIFFERENT> they chuckle at what he does now. 

 

 

I'm not sure we can say our QB haven't been developed.  2AM is playing pretty well right now and Smothers has looked good when he's in.

Link to comment
22 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

This is Martinez year 4 game 3. The past 2 years he has played poorly and not progressed well by most metrics. In 3 games so far this year, he played poorly in 1 and against lower competition in the last 2 he has played pretty well. Lets see how the rest shakes out. I love the kid, hope he does well- not a fan of who is coaching him. 

 

What we saw in any extensive action from Logan Smothers was in the Spring game, he looked pretty bad. Tiny sample size vs a very tired- hot- worn out Buffalo team. Remember last year when Luke threw the one gadget play TD and lots of people said he should start? I wasn't one of those guys and thats why small sample sizes don't mean much.  Im hoping he develops, but with Coach V- in very skeptical. 

 

Luke- looks like an older version of Smothers. Poor recruiting choice and looks like no development. 

And, in those years, you also need to look at who was playing around 2AM.  He looked good his freshman year when he had good receivers.  He looked bad when he didn't.  Now, he looks good again when he has good receivers.  

Link to comment
11 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

This is Martinez year 4 game 3. The past 2 years he has played poorly and not progressed well by most metrics. In 3 games so far this year, he played poorly in 1 and against lower competition in the last 2 he has played pretty well. Lets see how the rest shakes out. I love the kid, hope he does well- not a fan of who is coaching him. 

 

What we saw in any extensive action from Logan Smothers was in the Spring game, he looked pretty bad. Tiny sample size vs a very tired- hot- worn out Buffalo team. Remember last year when Luke threw the one gadget play TD and lots of people said he should start? I wasn't one of those guys and thats why small sample sizes don't mean much.  Im hoping he develops, but with Coach V- in very skeptical. 

 

Luke- looks like an older version of Smothers. Poor recruiting choice and looks like no development. 

 

I don't think it's a fair assessment to use the spring game over a real game, regardless of how tired the opposing team was or how much he played. The spring game is very vanilla, no tackling in the first half, and he hadn't had all of fall camp. We just don't have enough info to make a judgement on him at all, but he was much more polished than Luke from the beginning. Not sure about the arm, but it looked fine on the throw to Hickman.

 

In my book, there's really only 2 issues that can be put on Verduzco - Martinez's sophomore year, and Luke. Adrian has also claimed most of the blame for his sophomore slump himself. Luke, I don't know what the deal was. Maybe some hubris thinking they could turn him into a good passer, but also weird how he was apparently good in practice and not in the game. I am not fully on the Verduzco train, but I think you've got to weigh past success with Milton and how Adrian is playing now as well. I'm willing to wait and see.

 

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment

27 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

 

I don't think it's a fair assessment to use the spring game over a real game, regardless of how tired the opposing team was or how much he played. The spring game is very vanilla, no tackling in the first half, and he hadn't had all of fall camp. We just don't have enough info to make a judgement on him at all, but he was much more polished than Luke from the beginning. Not sure about the arm, but it looked fine on the throw to Hickman.

 

In my book, there's really only 2 issues that can be put on Verduzco - Martinez's sophomore year, and Luke. Adrian has also claimed most of the blame for his sophomore slump himself. Luke, I don't know what the deal was. Maybe some hubris thinking they could turn him into a good passer, but also weird how he was apparently good in practice and not in the game. I am not fully on the Verduzco train, but I think you've got to weigh past success with Milton and how Adrian is playing now as well. I'm willing to wait and see.

 

 

 

I don't know- it was very obvious from the Spring Game- that Toure was going to be very special. He has been that in spades and then some. 

 

Wasn't impressed with Smothers throwing motion, release or arm strength in the extensive action he had in the Spring game. 

Link to comment
3 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

 

 

I don't know- it was very obvious from the Spring Game- that Toure was going to be very special. He has been in spades and then some. 

 

Wasn't impressed with Smothers throwing motion, release or arm strength in the extensive action he had in the Spring game. 

 

We've had spring game stars never do anything in real games before. The things you listed are things that can be judged from the spring game more than overall performance, I'll give you that. But he threw 13 passes in the spring game, and he's thrown 11 this year. Neither is a big enough sample to draw serious conclusions, and I'm not going to pretend I know enough about releases and throwing motions to critique those. But the arm strength seemed adequate on the ball to Hickman, looked like maybe an issue on his throw to Betts against Fordham. We'll just have to see. Can't put a ton of the arm strength blame on Verduzco anyway, other than the fact that he apparently decided it was enough during recruitment. 

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment
5 hours ago, Nebraska55fan said:

 You are incorrect. If the ball doesnt cross the line of scrimmage, they can block. If what you are saying is true- there would never be a screen, bubble screen, slip screen, smoke screen play that would not be flagged.  https://www.ajc.com/blog/high-school-sports/ask-the-ref-forward-pass-interference-restrictions-the-offense/24YEc2ZU09g8OFHcm4UeGP/

I didnt realize the rules in college were different. NFL seems to have all those plays without blocking downfield though. You can still block for screens without blocking way down field while before the ball is caught. 

Link to comment
2 hours ago, Mavric said:

 

So why are you only arguing against people making one side of the argument?  If you really believed that you would have argued with the first post.

 Look at my entire post- we DONT KNOW that for sure. 

 

We can see the results and consistent data points that certainly point to poor coaching in that position group. You are the one choosing to be argumentative here. I'm talking football. 

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...