Buffalo: What Did We Learn?

Mavric

1 minute ago, huskerfan74 said:

Don’t get me wrong. I wish with all my heart that I am completely off base and that my Husker win all their games. However, watching this team and watching the other BIG teams, it is painfully obvious we are far from where we want to be. The issues with special teams are very serious and not something you fix between weeks. Our offense sputters and is extremely inconsistent. Our defense is improved but they still commit costly penalties at the worst times. After 4 years of consistency in coaching personnel, we should expect better results. I can name several teams that have turned the corner with new coaches in their second or third year. We have not. It is sad but true. But, I still love my Husker and will always cheer for them no matter what. Wanting your team to be better does not make you less fun.

So, you are expecting NU to lose the remaining games on the schedule. So, you shouldn't be mad and upset if that happens, because that's what you expect and you really shouldn't be mad if NU is playing to your expectations. 

• Plus1 3

41 minutes ago, Farms said:

I’m starting to think this defensive unit might be the best we’ve had in quite a few years. I think they’ve been under rated due to constantly being put in tough positions by a lackluster offense and awful special teams. I really think this unit is good enough to keep us in most of the games the rest of the way if the offense doesn’t let them down. 

I’m still having a hard time forgiving this team for the Illinois game and I think a lot of you are too. This was a good win and I think we’d all be much happier about it if we were 3-0. 

I really like the talent we have at the skill positions and I think our overall depth is the best it’s been in a while. It wouldn’t surprise me if this group came together and had a good season still. It also wouldn’t surprise me if we got curb stomped by Oklahoma and we completely went off the rails. We’ll know a lot more next week, GBR!

Imagine the D when CTB gets his ego in check and realizes he's part of a greater cause than himself.

4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

So, you are expecting NU to lose the remaining games on the schedule. So, you shouldn't be mad and upset if that happens, because that's what you expect and you really shouldn't be mad if NU is playing to your expectations. 

That's exactly right. I don't get mad when we lose to decent competition, because that what I've come to expect. I'm perfectly calm while all the others who said things like, "Must be fun to be you" and "perhaps you should find another team to cheer for" are blowing gaskets.

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

That's exactly right. I don't get mad when we lose to decent competition, because that what I've come to expect. I'm perfectly calm while all the others who said things like, "Must be fun to be you" and "perhaps you should find another team to cheer for" are blowing gaskets.

But you come on here and complain about the results of the games?

20 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Why didn’t you say this before the game? Why now, after a decisive win? 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

My takeaways:

• Nebraska's offensive line is the biggest thing preventing them from competing in the west. They have shown considerable inconsistency through the first three games, particularly in the run game against Buffalo. I have a hard time imaging that line gets much better than what we've seen and that's hugely concerning.
  • Adrian Martinez played really well today. Overall, made good reads, found open receivers, made key plays when he needed to, and made some great heads up plays... which is something I've criticized about his play in the past. That shovel flick to Hickman near the sideline was really good.
  • Their defense looks like it's going to be able to keep them in most of the games on their schedule, but through three games, I'm still not seeing a decent enough pass rush. That's been a big concern for several seasons now and guys that I hoped would be those impact players by now (i.e. Caleb Tannor) still seem to be a few steps away from they need to be.

Honorable mention: the Illinois loss continues to be baffling when taken into the larger context of how bad Illinois is through three weeks. Nebraska is so close to being a good football team. There are flashes of it everywhere... but the equally powerful flashes of bad plays and costly mistakes continue to rear their ugly heads.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

Nebraska still has a lot of work to do.

But a lot of teams struggle.  And a lot of "lesser" teams are a lot better than people want to give them credit for.  If you don't play well, you're in trouble.  That goes for about anyone in the country.

We are not even through the second full weekend of the season.  And so far we've seen:

Tulane take Oklahoma to the wire

Fresno State take Oregon to the wire

Montana beat Washington

Florida State take Notre Dame to overtime then ...

Florida State get beat by Jacksonville State

Colorado take Texas A&M to the wire

Toledo take Notre Dame to the wire

• Plus1 4
4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Nebraska still has a lot of work to do.

But a lot of teams struggle.  And a lot of "lesser" teams are a lot better than people want to give them credit for.  If you don't play well, you're in trouble.  That goes for about anyone in the country.

We are not even through the second full weekend of the season.  And so far we've seen:

Tulane take Oklahoma to the wire

Fresno State take Oregon to the wire

Montana beat Washington

Florida State take Notre Dame to overtime then ...

Florida State get beat by Jacksonville State

Colorado take Texas A&M to the wire

Toledo take Notre Dame to the wire

I like this take, and seriously we beat that a$$ today.   Like we physically dominated a team.  The defense is pretty freaking good.  You got them into 22 3rd downs? That's ridiculous

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
38 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Here it is ... I guess...

I don't think this guy knows what he's talking about. 

The pick play on the TD pass was from the slot, 2nd man from the top.  He cleared out 2 defenders on the play.  This is his job.  But he has to look back to the QB.  Otherwise it gets called 90 times out of 100.  Alabama runs it.  Clemson runs it.  We run it.  Everybody runs it.  The NE Patriots perfected it 15+ years ago.  You can't just clear out defenders on pass play.  It's illegal, but does not get called when the pick man looks back to the QB