Buffalo: What Did We Learn?

Mavric

29 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

I am excited to the board opening up their minds to the idea that the OL is a problem.  As stated elsewhere, we really need to have 2-3 OL recruits every year moving forward that are in the high 4+ range [at a minimum].  I'm including this current recruiting season with the limited space.  I would literally [as coach], state today to my team and to the nation that we are looking to get better players and development at every position on the OL.  Yes, I'm "calling-out" these supposed "studs" whom Scott calls, "He's a really good football player".  That "mantra" and type of statements really need to go away.  If anything, these guys are "really incomplete OL and are fortunate to be playing Division I football at :bigredn:".  Unfortunately, since we don't seem to develop much talent ... we don't seem to be able to take a 3* and develop them.  What we did do was attract some nice 4*'s in the OL whom saw Frost as an amazing coach ... and they are at best 3* type players [I prefer to see them as 2* type players whom aren't pushed enough to be displaced].

As much as AM is a disappointment, I feel bad for him to endure his horrid OL.  If I were him, I would definitely make this my last year.  Between his own play and what he has on the OL ... why endure such a toxic experience.

Finally, we can now see that IL sucks.  I conclude that Fordham wasn't a football team and despite ourselves we still won 28-3.  It's like the addictive mind to me [the addict's issues] ... we just can't get out of our own way.  We are so horrid and toxic at a football level we can't seem to stop shooting ourselves.  We are three games in and at 2-1 most fully see that even if we were 3-0 ... WE SUCK!  Truly, truly, I hope that OU tears us a new one.  I think my own sanity will be better seeing us get torched and embarrassed ... then to do well.  That will only lead me to a "WTF" in my mind and spiral me even more toward insanity/death.  It would make the most sense to get blown out.  Like most of this ... you never really know ... and there is always that flicker of hope [which is really torment] because you know that your "abuser" [this thing called Nebraska football] is just going to do it again and there isn't anything you can do about it but take it up the butt for one more year.

So, I don't take the game or score as anything positive.  I hate that.

have you tried decaf?

• Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1

8 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

- Kinda pulling a Bo Ruud and jumping on the pile here, but the OL is going to hold the offense back from being truly great. The bones and structure are there for the offense to hum, and Toure is already the best WR since Morgan, but the line is incredibly poorly coached, has more bad habits than good, and is thus far a massive disappointment. 

- Adrian might be a natural running the option. He needs to press the issue a bit more, cut upfield earlier and force the defense to commit to defending him, but he has made real good decisions and it looks a lot like Frost has worked with him personally on it (including throwing no-look pitches). 

- I really have nothing to complain about with Frost this week, other than he should have called his last time out to yell at those absolutely inept, head-up-their-asses reffing crew. 

- I don't understand the love affair with CTB. 

- Garrett Nelson has made me a believer.

- Overall, the defense is real, real salty, and will keep this team in games. They need to develop a better pass rush so we don't have to blitz to get pressure, but other than that, they've been real solid at every position group. 

I agree with the CTB quote. He simply isnt very good. Talks a big game, but doesn't produce. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

- Kinda pulling a Bo Ruud and jumping on the pile here, but the OL is going to hold the offense back from being truly great. The bones and structure are there for the offense to hum, and Toure is already the best WR since Morgan, but the line is incredibly poorly coached, has more bad habits than good, and is thus far a massive disappointment. 

- Adrian might be a natural running the option. He needs to press the issue a bit more, cut upfield earlier and force the defense to commit to defending him, but he has made real good decisions and it looks a lot like Frost has worked with him personally on it (including throwing no-look pitches). 

- I really have nothing to complain about with Frost this week, other than he should have called his last time out to yell at those absolutely inept, head-up-their-asses reffing crew one last time. 

- I don't understand the love affair with CTB. 

- Garrett Nelson has made me a believer.

- Overall, the defense is real, real salty, and will keep this team in games. They need to develop a better pass rush so we don't have to blitz to get pressure, but other than that, they've been real solid at every position group. 

To the first bolded, Adrian's reads on the option are light years better than on the zone read.  So much so you almost wonder if on a lot of the zone read plays it's a predetermined give.  I'd agree it looks like Frost has instilled a lot of his mastery of the option onto Adrian.  Moving forward I'd like to see 7 to 8 options a game.  It's working.  Keep doing it.  Of course there will be turnovers. Expect board meltdown then.

To the second bolded, it's the defense that has me bookmarking this thread for the guys saying "that's it, no more wins are possible. Done, zip, nada mas".  With any improvement whatsoever on the o-line or special teams, this D may steal a game or two.  Guys are flying and active....see Reimer and Domann

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2

Martinez improved his throws on the left side of the field. He still struggles on the short game. Does anyone help him with his damn footwork?!

We don’t have a running back. Held has no idea what he is doing there. It seems like he’s just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.

I liked the I-Formation at goal line and Speed Option plays however, I think these are just little wrinkles TBH and won’t become a normal thing but you never know.

The offensive line can’t block at the second level. Toure is going to have a good year along with Oliver Martin, I think. Our defense played with a bend but don’t break scheme and it worked but the 4.1 ypc allowed is alarming to me. 

You can complain about a lack of a pass rush but it’s extremely hard to get to the quarterback when the balls out of his hand in 2 seconds. I think in that case, we could lean on man coverage a little bit more.

Our field goal unit is atrocious. Maybe it was all mental, maybe the wind had a factor to it. Our kick coverage on punt and kickoff is solid but at this point, we need to have a return man on punts. That could provide a swing later in the year or come back to bite us.

Frost called a really good game offensively in my opinion. However there is one thing we’ve done multiple times already this season that frustrates the hell out of me. When we are in the 35-40 yard line area and we have 3rd and have roughly a 3rd and 7 or less. I’d much rather see us run and if you get 3-4 yards or more you go for it on 4th. Instead we throw, don’t get any yards and end up feeing like we have to punt it. Then we send one through the end zone for a 20 yard net gain. Might be a bit of playing it safe in a game like this I suppose, so hopefully we see us approach this different in bigger games.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Farms said:

Frost called a really good game offensively in my opinion. However there is one thing we’ve done multiple times already this season that frustrates the hell out of me. When we are in the 35-40 yard line area and we have 3rd and have roughly a 3rd and 7 or less. I’d much rather see us run and if you get 3-4 yards or more you go for it on 4th. Instead we throw, don’t get any yards and end up feeing like we have to punt it. Then we send one through the end zone for a 20 yard net gain. Might be a bit of playing it safe in a game like this I suppose, so hopefully we see us approach this different in bigger games.

You would run on 3rd at 7 on the 40....with our offensive line?  Seriously?

• Plus1 1