Buffalo: What Did We Learn?

Mavric

28 minutes ago, knapplc said:

It's amazing what he can do when he gets actual blocking. He's been visibly upset with the line through three games.

I really saw the vision/slasher running style comparisons from his high school film. Amazing what happens when you get a smidge of daylight. He needs to get stronger in his lower half to break some arm tackles (much like Rahmir). But I see the promise and why he was the starter. 

2 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

- Kinda pulling a Bo Ruud and jumping on the pile here, but the OL is going to hold the offense back from being truly great. The bones and structure are there for the offense to hum, and Toure is already the best WR since Morgan, but the line is incredibly poorly coached, has more bad habits than good, and is thus far a massive disappointment. 

- Adrian might be a natural running the option. He needs to press the issue a bit more, cut upfield earlier and force the defense to commit to defending him, but he has made real good decisions and it looks a lot like Frost has worked with him personally on it (including throwing no-look pitches). 

- I really have nothing to complain about with Frost this week, other than he should have called his last time out to yell at those absolutely inept, head-up-their-asses reffing crew one last time. 

- I don't understand the love affair with CTB. 

- Garrett Nelson has made me a believer.

- Overall, the defense is real, real salty, and will keep this team in games. They need to develop a better pass rush so we don't have to blitz to get pressure, but other than that, they've been real solid at every position group. 

Kudos to you sir.  I haven't stopped laughing at the bolded.  Well done.  Well played!

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Wait. I just learned over in Stats that Logan Smothers was 1 for 1 for 54 yards.

When did that happen and where the hell was I?

My recording cut off the last minute of the game, but I can't imagine it happened then. 

NU was ready to run out the clock, and Buffalo called a time out. That must have annoyed Frost, because then he called a play action pass from Smothers to Hickman. Then Frost is trying to score in the waning seconds of the game. 

• Plus1 5
2 hours ago, man eating mastodon said:

Lmao!!  Details!!

Nothing much to tell...me and my boy tried to get past the ESPN censoring gates with our signs on Saturday.  Mine was about 4x4 and said **** ESPN.  Very tastefully done in big black letters on white poster board.  His was of similar size with a picture of Kirk Ferentz he blew up and pasted on the board with a big KKKKirk over the top of it.  The commie censors wouldn't let us bring our signs in so we drove 3 hours to SW Iowa to watch an antique tractor pull instead (Farmall slaughtered John Deere by the way)

• Thanks 2
20 minutes ago, Cy the Cyclone said:

Nothing much to tell...me and my boy tried to get past the ESPN censoring gates with our signs on Saturday.  Mine was about 4x4 and said **** ESPN.  Very tastefully done in big black letters on white poster board.  His was of similar size with a picture of Kirk Ferentz he blew up and pasted on the board with a big KKKKirk over the top of it.  The commie censors wouldn't let us bring our signs in so we drove 3 hours to SW Iowa to watch an antique tractor pull instead (Farmall slaughtered John Deere by the way)

Lol.  KKKKirk. Lol. 

How old is your son?  

13 hours ago, admo said:

I don't think this guy knows what he's talking about. 

The pick play on the TD pass was from the slot, 2nd man from the top.  He cleared out 2 defenders on the play.  This is his job.  But he has to look back to the QB.  Otherwise it gets called 90 times out of 100.  Alabama runs it.  Clemson runs it.  We run it.  Everybody runs it.  The NE Patriots perfected it 15+ years ago.  You can't just clear out defenders on pass play.  It's illegal, but does not get called when the pick man looks back to the QB

There is an official box score and the box score says the penalty was on 85 at the bottom of the screen. Doesn’t matter though because the possible guy from the top doesn’t run into anyone in a way that would generally be called. Both his guys start running with him like they’re guarding him. It was a bail out call by the refs and overall just terrible. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2

I remember Virginia Tech under Frank Beamer. They won so many games because of the play of their special teams. He invested a lot on special teams and it paid off. I do not know why Frost does not see value in hiring a dedicated special teams coach to work with this group. Having a coach be in charge of two groups is not efficient or effective. There is no shame in hiring a special teams coach and let each coach focus on their group. The special teams woes have been apparent in the Frost era and four years in, he still does not see that this is a major area of weakness. Loyalty to your coaches is one thing but this is really hurting the entire team and is discouraging to the defense who play their butts off to stop opposing teams only to have our unspecial teams give the ball right back. That is demoralizing.

5 hours ago, commando said:

have you tried decaf?

Nope, only the cold, clear water stuff.  No more red kool-aid either.  We got into this spot by believing that.  Obviously, you drink it still.  Good for you.  I may not be "woke" in various societal aspects, but I am certainly "woke" to the woes of the horrid OL.  The opinion is warranted.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1