Buffalo: What Did We Learn?

Mavric

I think AM would certainly benefit from a better supporting cast (particularly a better offensive line). This is by no means a criticism, but he's not a transcendent enough player to make up for deficiencies in other parts of the offense. Honestly, few quarterbacks are great enough to do that.

We just need to see him keep his current momentum going. He has had positive swings like this in recent seasons. On-field adversity is inevitable so I want to see him carry that good decision making we've seen moving forward.

9 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I think AM would certainly benefit from a better supporting cast (particularly a better offensive line). This is by no means a criticism, but he's not a transcendent enough player to make up for deficiencies in other parts of the offense. Honestly, few quarterbacks are great enough to do that.

We just need to see him keep his current momentum going. He has had positive swings like this in recent seasons. On-field adversity is inevitable so I want to see him carry that good decision making we've seen moving forward.

He could benefit from better play calling and better field position which falls on our coaching staffs shoulders. 

HOWEVER we aren't a practice and we can't see what this team can and cant execute consistently in practice. Like no screen passes, I get that- hard to execute well and AM doesnt throw those type of passes well at all.

We can however throw a play action pass and bootleg and rollout passes RUPO and not. If we're going to be a team that runs some option- throw the dang play action off of it. However we choose not to run those. 

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

He could benefit from better play calling and better field position which falls on our coaching staffs shoulders. 

HOWEVER we aren't a practice and we can't see what this team can and cant execute consistently in practice. Like no screen passes, I get that- hard to execute well and AM doesnt throw those type of passes well at all.

We can however throw a play action pass and bootleg and rollout passes RUPO and not. If we're going to be a team that runs some option- throw the dang play action off of it. However we choose not to run those. 

Or we aren't showing them against Fordham and Buffalo.  Game 1 they wouldn't be near as effective because Illinois wouldn't be preparing to stop the option.  We were in control in the next two games so why show our hand?  Guessing we see it against Oklahoma.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Or we aren't showing them against Fordham and Buffalo.  Game 1 they wouldn't be near as effective because Illinois wouldn't be preparing to stop the option.  We were in control in the next two games so why show our hand?  Guessing we see it against Oklahoma.

We lost to Illinois- they should have run them then. That game was the most important game of our season- pivotal to getting to 6 wins and a Bowl game. They showed option in the first half- no reason not to throw the play action off of it first offensive possession of the second half. Play action, boots etc aren't oddball concepts, they are plays we should be running right from the start- Illinois etc since we struggled mightily on offense. Play action will also HELP your run game. 

8 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

We lost to Illinois- they should have run them then. That game was the most important game of our season- pivotal to getting to 6 wins and a Bowl game. They showed option in the first half- no reason not to throw the play action off of it first offensive possession of the second half. Play action, boots etc aren't oddball concepts, they are plays we should be running right from the start- Illinois etc since we struggled mightily on offense. Play action will also HELP your run game. 

The long pass to Stepp at the end of the first quarter was a play action.  The long pass to Martin was a play action.  There were others.  It's not like we didn't use it we just didn't run it off the option look because it wouldn't have been nearly as effective as it will be in the future now that defenses will have to prepare to stop the option.

I think you would argue if someone said the sky is blue.  You know enough about football, your just want to argue.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

My father was and F4 phantom pilot for the Marines.  Call sign:  Husker

They used to fly F4s out of the Lincoln ANG base before they changed to a refueling wing.  I used to go park under the big oak tree at the north end of the runway and watch them do touch-and-goes while doing homework way back in the day. 

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

They used to fly F4s out of the Lincoln ANG base before they changed to a refueling wing.  I used to go park under the big oak tree at the north end of the runway and watch them do touch-and-goes while doing homework way back in the day. 

If I had one wish it would be to fly in one of those jets one time.  My uncle was retired as a Lt Cornell in the AF - he was the electronics guy in B-52s.  He was stationed at Ellsworth in Rapid City and took a friend and I to the base so we could watch B-52s do 'touch-and-goes' as only a B-52 can.    And by the way, they are still I'm guessing 100 feet above the ground but pretty amazing to watch. 

3 hours ago, knapplc said:

That's cool.  He wasn't flying any of those tho. Lol.  Spent most of his time in the south and in Japan.  Has an awesome picture his wingman took in Front of Mount Fuji.  Always thought it was the coolest thing growing up

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, knapplc said:

Did you cruise by on your Kawasaki 900R pumping your fist?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
8 hours ago, MasterPulverizer said:

I'm equally impressed with the 0 in the interceptions column.  Adrian has thrown it well this year when he has time.  What I learned from this Buffalo game is that AM is a hell of a football player.  He does some stupid stuff, but so far he's the best thing we have going on offense!

He has only thrown 3 INTs in his last 10 games. 

He has eight games since the start of last year where he has NOT thrown an INT against only two games where he HAS thrown an INT.

He is pretty good making decisions on when to - and when not to - throw it.

• Plus1 3
2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

He has only thrown 3 INTs in his last 10 games. 

He has eight games since the start of last year where he has NOT thrown an INT against only two games where he HAS thrown an INT.

He is pretty good making decisions on when to - and when not to - throw it.

I don't get the thought that Martinez does "stupid stuff".  If anything, many of his turnovers are trying to do "too much" because so much of the offense relies on him.  Yeah, he has fumbled a lot in his career, but IMO those are more physical mistakes, not mental mistakes.

• Plus1 4
On 9/14/2021 at 6:08 PM, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't get the thought that Martinez does "stupid stuff".  If anything, many of his turnovers are trying to do "too much" because so much of the offense relies on him.  Yeah, he has fumbled a lot in his career, but IMO those are more physical mistakes, not mental mistakes.

I think it's a byproduct of a few things. Any Nebraska quarterback is going to be heavily scrutinized, but when you've quarterbacked the offense of a team that has not had a winning season in more than four years, I think that brings a different type of intensity to it. Quarterbacks are largely judged on how many games they win and how they perform in those games, and since AM has lost more than he's won, and made his fair share of mistakes through the process, then you get where we are.

It also doesn't help that the first game of the season was effectively a microcosm of all the things people have criticized about him and I think the fallout of that game has left a bad taste in a lot of peoples' mouths, particularly when taken into context of how bad Illinois has been since. And even though AM played pretty well these last two games, you know how people are... "it was a Fordham." "It was Buffalo." Etc.

It really all boils down to the same exhausted adage - just win. You win and, by and large, your mistakes are less important. You lose and they're far more glaring.

• Plus1 1