Buffalo: What Did We Learn?

Mavric

45 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I think it's a byproduct of a few things. Any Nebraska quarterback is going to be heavily scrutinized, but when you've quarterbacked the offense of a team that has not had a winning season in more than four years, I think that brings a different type of intensity to it. Quarterbacks are largely judged on how many games they win and how they perform in those games, and since AM has lost more than he's won, and made his fair share of mistakes through the process, then you get where we are.

It also doesn't help that the first game of the season was effectively a microcosm of all the things people have criticized about him and I think the fallout of that game has left a bad taste in a lot of peoples' mouths, particularly when taken into context of how bad Illinois has been since. And even though AM played pretty well these last two games, you know how people are... "it was a Fordham." "It was Buffalo." Etc.

It really all boils down to the same exhausted adage - just win. You win and, by and large, your mistakes are less important. You lose and they're far more glaring.

I get that Martinez makes plenty of physical mistakes, which have hindered the offense. He makes poor throws, he fumbles, etc.  But, to me, those are physical mistakes, and not mental mistakes. I was just taken back by the "stupid stuff" comment, when most of his mistakes aren't mental mistakes. 

13 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I get that Martinez makes plenty of physical mistakes, which have hindered the offense. He makes poor throws, he fumbles, etc.  But, to me, those are physical mistakes, and not mental mistakes. I was just taken back by the "stupid stuff" comment, when most of his mistakes aren't mental mistakes. 

Eh... I may have to agree to disagree. I think those things you listed are more mental mistakes.

Most coaches I've had always considered fumbles more of a mental mistake. Same with most players I've heard talk about them. Losing focus of your positioning on the field, not protecting the ball in a certain way, etc. Like the way Smothers fumbled against Fordham. He shouldn't have tried to spin in the open field with a bad grip on the ball. Same with bad decision making or overthrowing a receiver. Most of the time that's head game/mental stuff. It doesn't have much to do with physical capabilities or limitations.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Enhance said:

I think it's a byproduct of a few things. Any Nebraska quarterback is going to be heavily scrutinized, but when you've quarterbacked the offense of a team that has not had a winning season in more than four years, I think that brings a different type of intensity to it. Quarterbacks are largely judged on how many games they win and how they perform in those games, and since AM has lost more than he's won, and made his fair share of mistakes through the process, then you get where we are.

It also doesn't help that the first game of the season was effectively a microcosm of all the things people have criticized about him and I think the fallout of that game has left a bad taste in a lot of peoples' mouths, particularly when taken into context of how bad Illinois has been since. And even though AM played pretty well these last two games, you know how people are... "it was a Fordham." "It was Buffalo." Etc.

It really all boils down to the same exhausted adage - just win. You win and, by and large, your mistakes are less important. You lose and they're far more glaring.

I like this

1 hour ago, hskrfan4life said:

Jesus, can't give the guy credit....

He has a 62% completion percentage. so factually you're wrong

Most of those throws are completions.

Why is it so hard for people to give him credit?

Why?

He played poorly in game 1,  missed 2 very easy wide open throws that would have been sure game tying touchdowns. He also fumbled- it was returned for what turned out to be the game winning TD. More of the same. The offense sputtered against a very bad defense. We lost to an inferior team that may only win 2 games this year. 

In the last 2 games he has played well- both opponents are not quality teams by any stretch. These 2 games are encouraging, but again, these teams aren't very good.

I'm guessing there are some that are tired of and don't appreciate the kool aide drinkers who carry AMs water no matter how poorly he plays. Many long suffering Husker fans have been hoodwinked by overhyped teams and players that consistently let them down over these last 15 or so years-- they are tired of it- I'm guessing.  I'm hoping he is getting better and can get us to 6-6, but skeptical due to the poor coaching. 

• Plus1 3
4 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

Why?

A lot of people think he sucks.  (I am occasionally one of those people)  Some people would rather be right than be wrong and he gets better.  I would rather be wrong and he is first team All-B1G.  In the end, i want our guys to be the best.  AM is a little better than last year.  He still needs to improve to be where he needs to be.

7 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

Why?

I give him tons of credit.  I may be his biggest fan. BUT When he’s off, he’s way off. And actually I think the receivers take to much criticism. I have no idea how good they are. And I mean over the last 3-4 years, not just this year. 

And it was just a playful jab. 

I think he has a terminal case of Husker anxiety. Something he and I both share.  Emotionally, he appears to take on too much. He seems soulful and confused, which would significantly delay his processing speed. He also has a crappy QB’s coach and spent several years not knowing if the snap was going to go over his head. I don’t know how he can put up with the scrutiny that is so undeserved. 

Can we agree that if he had even an average o-line and better coaches he wouldn’t need therapy for the rest of his life?  And also, very few could have done any better and most would have done significantly worse. I also can’t believe he’a stayed relative heathy.  

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
23 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

I give him tons of credit.  I may be his biggest fan. BUT When he’s off, he’s way off. And actually I think the receivers take to much criticism. I have no idea how good they are. And I mean over the last 3-4 years, not just this year. 

And it was just a playful jab. 

I think he has a terminal case of Husker anxiety. Something he and I both share.  Emotionally, he appears to take on too much. He seems soulful and confused, which would significantly delay his processing speed. He also has a crappy QB’s coach and spent several years not knowing if the snap was going to go over his head. I don’t know how he can put up with the scrutiny that is so undeserved. 

Can we agree that if he had even an average o-line and better coaches he wouldn’t need therapy for the rest of his life?  And also, very few could have done any better and most would have done significantly worse. I also can’t believe he’a stayed relative heathy.  

All very true. I would add that this offense just asks too much of him. 40 different formations, motions, protection schemes, before the ball is even snapped. Then he has to execute the play, which normally has several different reads in succession, and defenders running free through our young, porous line. I seriously doubt even Mariota or Milton could hack it in Lincoln right now.

I once heard an old, very successful HS football coach say that he ran at most, 8 plays, because 'even though most boys like the game, the average thought in their heads is about 3 things, and none of those thoughts have anything to do with football.' This goes for college athletes, too, to some extent. He has classes, grades, a girlfriend, social life, etc. 

I dislike Iowa very much, but Ferentz has a formula he's stuck to for more than 2 decades now: simple plays, simple reads. Focus on fundamentals, defense, special teams. Petras gets an easy snap under center, quick and efficient (most of the time), turns around, hands off/fakes the hand off, boots. Simple, predictable, but effective. On the boots/waggles, he has 2, maybe 3 easy reads, and if they aren't there, he can scramble or throw the ball away. It isn't flashy or super exciting, and once again, I DON'T want to be Iowa, but who's ranked 5th in the country, and who isn't? 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
53 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

Why?

This is a bit like debating how well the gear shift is functioning when the tires are completely flat.  As I have said many times, Adrian is not the primary issue with this team.  His decision-making has improved, his passing statistics support efficiency, and he has improved in the turnover department.  All told, he makes many more good plays than not and still gives us the best chance for success.

If the issues plaguing this team were so simple to fix (i.e. QB change) it would have been done.  Assign scrutiny to line play (on both sides), mental mistakes, turnovers, and poor assignment discipline.  These are structural issues that we can assign to coaching and arevnot related to a single position.  

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, krc1995 said:

I give him tons of credit.  I may be his biggest fan. BUT When he’s off, he’s way off.

How many of his 74 passes this year are you thinking are "way off"?  He's completed 62.2% of them so 46 of them must not have been.  I remember maybe 3 all year that I would say, "where in the hell are you throwing"?

Maybe a little perspective would be nice.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1