Buffalo: What Did We Learn?

Mavric

1 minute ago, thatguy said:

I think Buffalo isn’t as bad as people think. I still think Scott Frost is basically interviewing for his job on a weekly basis right now, but Buffalo is not weak sauce.  Frost did a decent job given the heat, the officials, and his tendency to shoot himself on the foot. Plus they covered the spread easily. 

I agree. That said, most people on the national level don't think of Buffalo as a legit team. We need wins vs. Top 25 opponents, which should be occurring regularly at this point in Frost's tenure.

I learned that while NU had a 2 score advantage late in the 3rd quarter, NU stayed patient, played the field position game, and counted on the defense to make a play and put the game away. It wasn't pretty but plenty of Big Ten teams have gotten wins against MAC opponents doing exactly what NU did today.

The refs took one TD away from NU, and the field goal misses are frustrating, but NU did what it was supposed to do today. 

• Plus1 1

Just now, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

That's where we'll have to agree to disagree. Beating a lesser opponent means nothing. The goal is to be able to compete with the top teams in our conference.

I don't disagree that is NU's ultimate goal, and NU will have opportunities to do so down the road. However, I will enjoy the wins when they happen. 

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

That's where we'll have to agree to disagree. Beating a lesser opponent means nothing. The goal is to be able to compete with the top teams in our conference. Iowa, Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan... we should be right there with them.

I don't think you will find many that disagree with where we SHOULD be at....but, at the end of the day, this is WHERE we are at...cannot beat the teams you shouldn't beat if you cannot consistently beat the teams you you should beat

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't disagree that is NU's ultimate goal, and NU will have opportunities to do so down the road. However, I will enjoy the wins when they happen. 

I enjoy the wins as well... but at this point they need to be coming more often. Based on how we've played to this point, I don't see that happening.

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Wow, it must really be fun to be you. 

Why, because he speaks the truth? What winnable games to do see on the remaining schedule? We lost to Illinois, who got blown out today by Virginia, and lost last week to UTSA. Don't kid yourself - Nebraska is nowhere close to being a good football team.

Just now, soup said:

Man. Some of you all need to watch some other football other than Nebraska. If you did. You might see that Nebraska is not the only team that struggles from time to time

"from time to time" :lol: -- good one

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I enjoy the wins as well... but at this point they need to be coming more often. Based on how we've played to this point, I don't see that happening.

I agree that NU should have beaten Illinois. That's was a mind-numbing loss that will make no sense at season's end.

However, looking at what I think NU can be, compared to many teams on their schedule, I think NU can get to 6 or 7 wins. Is that great, not really. But IMO this was a 10 game schedule with OU and Ohio State guaranteed losses.

I'm not tied to Frost long-term. If Alberts thinks that Frost isn't doing a good enough job, then I will be ready for a new coach.  I will watch the games each week and go from there. 

• Plus1 2
16 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Wow, it must really be fun to be you. 

Don’t get me wrong. I wish with all my heart that I am completely off base and that my Huskers win all their games. However, watching this team and watching the other BIG teams, it is painfully obvious we are far from where we want to be. The issues with special teams are very serious and not something you can fix between weeks. Our offense sputters and is extremely inconsistent. Our defense is improved but they still commit costly penalties at the worst times. After 4 years of consistency in coaching personnel, we should expect better results. I can name several teams that have turned the corner with new coaches in their second or third year. We have not. It is sad but true. But, I still love my Huskers and will always cheer for them no matter what. Wanting your team to be better does not make you less fun.

• Plus1 2