Florida 2017 Coaching Search SI Article- Coach Frost Tidbits

seaofred92

Man ... that Buffalo win was fun. We were up in the second half and the defense closed it for us. There was never a doubt in my mind through the fourth quarter that we were going to win. And that's a big deal. It hasn't happened a lot under Frost. 

And now the bad news, the road ahead looks as rough as it could be.

Oklahoma, Michigan State, Michigan. Ohio State, Wisconsin and Iowa. All losses.

Just those losses has us at 5-7. Minnesota is on the road. And Northwestern gives us fits. Purdue. Certainly we can beat them. But a split of Minny and NW makes us 4-8. And Frost gets the door.

Good news though. And I really do believe this. Nebraska is going to hire a coach with experience who is a builder of programs. Not going to be flashy. Not going to be a big deal on the national scene. But we will see improvement right away. Eight or nine wins in 2022. Calling it now.

• Plus1 3

4 minutes ago, tmfr15 said:

Man ... that Buffalo win was fun. We were up in the second half and the defense closed it for us. There was never a doubt in my mind through the fourth quarter that we were going to win. And that's a big deal. It hasn't happened a lot under Frost. 

And now the bad news, the road ahead looks as rough as it could be.

Oklahoma, Michigan State, Michigan. Ohio State, Wisconsin and Iowa. All losses.

Just those losses has us at 5-7. Minnesota is on the road. And Northwestern gives us fits. Purdue. Certainly we can beat them. But a split of Minny and NW makes us 4-8. And Frost gets the door.

Good news though. And I really do believe this. Nebraska is going to hire a coach with experience who is a builder of programs. Not going to be flashy. Not going to be a big deal on the national scene. But we will see improvement right away. Eight or nine wins in 2022. Calling it now.

So the new coach will get the benefit of an easier schedule and Frosts recruits and get all the credit??? 

I'd like to see what Frosts team does against a normal schedule, rather than one of the top 10 hardest in the country, which it has been about every year since he got here. 

Edited by Born N Bled Red
  • Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
15 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

So the new coach will get the benefit of an easier schedule and Frosts recruits and get all the credit??? 

I'd like to see what Frosts team does against a normal schedule, rather than one of the top 10 hardest in the country, which it has been about every year since he got here. 

And that is the gamble.  If frost tanks this year and we give him one more year because  of what you say above and Frost tanks agan in 2022 - it will be very, very painful to endure.  Or do you cut him loose this year if he tanks and acknowledge the fact that the new guy will have an easier schedule and more experienced players?

• Plus1 2
33 minutes ago, tmfr15 said:

Nebraska isn’t looking for a new head coach. 

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yet

Well that’s a pessimistic approach.   I think with our defense, we get to 6 wins and a bowl.  Frost makes some necessary and overdue changes and the “dreaming of a new coach “ crowd quiets down a bit.   Can someone please tell me why I’m wrong?

• Haha 3

Frost lost to an Illinois team that lost to UTSA… the Road Runners for crying out loud … and then to Virginia, by four TDs. And Illinois was coached by a first year coach and led by a transfer QB, the back up who no doubt had few if any practice reps and who left Rutgers because he couldn’t beat out Noah Vederal, who left here because Scott didn’t feel he had what it took to beat out AM. 

How soft is the schedule going to be next year? Methinks It would have to be powder puff soft to inspire any sort of confidence 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1

I think that the easy out is bowl or bust.  Makes sense. It shows improvement in the most important column, (win/loss), but doesn't address the continued shamble that our offense is.  OL continues to struggle.  RB still struggle (see OL maybe), ST continues to stink etc...as @Decoy73mentioned if we get to 6 it will be on the backs of the D.  No one thought that would be the case with a Frost high octane O....But that's our reality.  One side has improved and the other, well hasn't.....So IF Frost gets to 6+ (and I hope he/we do), there needs to be a serious conversation about who stays and goes from the offensive side of the staff.  For me today?  Verduzco, Held, Austin and Lubick.  With Lubick I do not see any benefit in sharing play calling.  Bring in a OC that knows the B1G (Tom Herman?).  Receivers look improved, but is that the quality or coaching?  

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
22 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Well that’s a pessimistic approach.   I think with our defense, we get to 6 wins and a bowl.  Frost makes some necessary and overdue changes and the “dreaming of a new coach “ crowd quiets down a bit.   Can someone please tell me why I’m wrong?

May I offer you some film of the offensive line?

• Plus1 4

27 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Look, I want Nebraska to win and do it with Frost as Head Coach, but I am also being realistic. There are a number of 50-50 games and a number of games which NU will be heavy underdogs. Getting to 6 or 7 wins will be a challenge.  It's not being pessimistic, it's seeing a similar team to other Frost teams and not seeing much progress (other than the D). 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
11 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Look, I want Nebraska to win and do it with Frost as Head Coach, but I am also being realistic. There are a number of 50-50 games and a number of games which NU will be heavy underdogs. Getting to 6 or 7 wins will be a challenge.  It's not being pessimistic, it's seeing a similar team to other Frost teams and not seeing much progress (other than the D). 

And 6 got harder losing to Illinois....The schedule doesn't get any easier moving forward.  I see us favored maybe against Purdue and NW. That based on home games...The rest I think we are underdogs.  Heavy against OSU and OU.  Unsure the other two more realistic wins with the remaining schedule in OU, OSU, Michigan, MSU, Wisky, Minnie and Iowa.....

• Plus1 2
36 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

May I offer you some film of the offensive line?

Ha. No thanks. I’ve seen it with my own eyes.   But despite their obvious underperforming, with the D I still believe we get to 6.  Outside of OSU and possibly UM if they actually are for real, no B1G team on our schedule is a sure loss.  At least at this point anyway.  Every other team has “issues “ of there own.  Now if I’m wrong and we don’t get to 6, then I’m with most of you that a change would be coming.   

• Haha 1
19 minutes ago, lo country said:

And 6 got harder losing to Illinois....The schedule doesn't get any easier moving forward.  I see us favored maybe against Purdue and NW. That based on home games...The rest I think we are underdogs.  Heavy against OSU and OU.  Unsure the other two more realistic wins with the remaining schedule in OU, OSU, Michigan, MSU, Wisky, Minnie and Iowa.....

Losing to Illinois could end up being Frost's undoing, and Frost knows that. That was a game against a very bad team, and it could be the game holding NU back from 6+ wins. Now there are a number of "winnable" games on the remaining schedule, but NU needs to start playing better and the offensive line and RB's need to give Adrian some help. 

2 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

USC loves to fire their coaches in September. 

• Plus1 2