NU/OU Game Prediction & Poll

TGHusker

Who will win - OU/Neb  

130 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Thought I'd start a poll on what you expect the final winning margin will be on Saturday's not quite the game of the century game at Norman.

I'm really puzzled how Frost will approach this game.  The running game has been almost non-existent outside of AM's runs.  It has been inconsistent at best. Will our OL, which some thought might be a strength going into the season, man up and provide holes for our backs?

Does Frost throw in new wrinkles for this game - more triple option type plays?  More short pass plays to get the ball to RBs in space?  How about a screen pass?

Or does Frost throw caution to the win and try to play up temple and try to match OU score for score by airing it out?

On the other side of the ball, the game will reveal if our D is a pretender or a contender.   

In the first game against Tulane, OU's D looked like it had holes.  Can Frost make adjustments and take advantage of some of the issues that OU's defense displayed against Tulane. 

OU's strength is the passing game.  Do we blitz, blitz, blitz to get OU's QB out of rhythm.  Do we play zone, or a tight man to man? 

• Plus1 1

I may be in the minority, but it looks to me like the surest way to getting blown out is trying the ball control plan that's being thrown around. We don't have bread and butter plays, and they will score plenty if we run it 4 out of plays and then punt. Not saying try and make it a shootout by any means, but at least passing we have a better chance of breaking some plays. Unless we've got some schemed up runs that we haven't shown (or maybe go heavy on the option?) or the OL gels in a hurry, we lose by 3-4 scores if we try and run clock. You have to get first downs running the ball to run clock.

But I am cautiously optimistic, because I do think the repeated attempts to hammer out our base runs against Fordham/Buffalo were because we knew we could spend time on that against those teams. I don't expect more of the same running game Saturday, I think it's pretty clear we've held a lot back and only shown pieces of wrinkles to make teams spread their preparation thinner. I have no idea if the kitchen sink offense will be any more effective, but I expect it to be different at least.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I may be in the minority, but it looks to me like the surest way to getting blown out is trying the ball control plan that's being thrown around. We don't have bread and butter plays, and they will score plenty if we run it 4 out of plays and then punt. Not saying try and make it a shootout by any means, but at least passing we have a better chance of breaking some plays. Unless we've got some schemed up runs that we haven't shown (or maybe go heavy on the option?) or the OL gels in a hurry, we lose by 3-4 scores if we try and run clock. You have to get first downs running the ball to run clock.

But I am cautiously optimistic, because I do think the repeated attempts to hammer out our base runs against Fordham/Buffalo were because we knew we could spend time on that against those teams. I don't expect more of the same running game Saturday, I think it's pretty clear we've held a lot back and only shown pieces of wrinkles to make teams spread their preparation thinner. I have no idea if the kitchen sink offense will be any more effective, but I expect it to be different at least.

I have been hoping the same thing ever since Saturday.  We haven't shown much at all in our running game other than mostly handoffs up the middle and a few option plays.  Frost's offenses have always been more creative than that running the ball.  Hopefully, we have held some back for this week.

1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

I sure hope we have some new stuff to throw at OU.  I hope there are some more option plays, pass option plays, and I hope the TEs and other WRs show up so it isn't just a

AM & Toure show.    Most of all the OL needs to play the game of their young lives. 

I picked the O to play better than the D only because (1) They have to in order to get the D off of the field (2) I'm not convinced OU's D is any where as good as its O. 

The problem isn’t what Frost may or may not attempt. The issue is, can we run the ball against OU and all indications are we won’t be able to. That means we’ll have to throw it and try to out score them. I think our D will do okay but the O won’t be able to keep up or keep our D off the field.  Neighborhood of 22-48.

• Plus1 1

Our D is pretty good right now.   I think we play them a pretty even low scoring first half.   Then we’ll come out and have the usual crap 3rd quarter, claw back a little in the 4th, but lose by 2 TDs.  Another special teams blunder will account for one of those scores.  Our offensive tackles will have a rough day, I fear.  

• Plus1 2

I think it might look like the ohio state game did last year. Nebraska will throw some new stuff at them and keep it within 2 scores for a quarter or so but that pass rusher from Oklahoma number 11 i think is going to embarrass this offensive line and the pressure from Oklahoma's defense will lead to turnovers. Nebraska's defense is improved from where it was when chin took over but they don't have the athletes to hang with a team like Oklahoma. Nebraska's pass rush from the 1st quarter against Illinois has disappeared. Oklahoma 55 Nebraska 19

16 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

I think it might look like the ohio state game did last year. Nebraska will throw some new stuff at them and keep it within 2 scores for a quarter or so but that pass rusher from Oklahoma number 11 i think is going to embarrass this offensive line and the pressure from Oklahoma's defense will lead to turnovers. Nebraska's defense is improved from where it was when chin took over but they don't have the athletes to hang with a team like Oklahoma. Nebraska's pass rush from the 1st quarter against Illinois has disappeared. Oklahoma 55 Nebraska 19

So do you think we might line up in the "I" formation and do really well with it- then abandon it abruptly  and completely like being caught at the movies with a fat girl in front of your friends and ditching her- like we did against OSU?