USC fires head coach!!

BigRedBuster

2 hours ago, AZRaiderH8r said:

Helton went 46-24 while head coach at USC. Talk about some high expectations! I personally enjoy seeing USC struggle, but for a team with national championship thoughts every year, I suppose it makes sense to move on. Hoping that Donte does very well and gets an opportunity to be named Head Coach. 

It's not like Southern California had turned into the UofAZ. Helton won the PAC in 2017 and narrowly lost the PACCG in 2020.  Not that I had an interest in Clay's continued employment :rolleyes:

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Being fired right now, I’m guessing there was more to this than results on the field. 

Not really sure there is.  He's pretty much been on the hot seat since going 5-7 in 2018.

I've seen a theory that once you've had a season bad enough to almost get fired, you pretty much never recover.  All they're waiting for is just enough to get past that tipping point and you're gone.  Seems to make sense.  His results since have been good but there's just enough bad for people to forget the good.

I also saw a stat that his record with Sam Darnold at QB was excellent but he's barley over .500 without him.

• Plus1 3

16 hours ago, man eating mastodon said:

If the leash was that short usc should have fired him last year and went after a better coach!  I did just learn that the AD there came from Cincinnati and was the guy that hired Luke Fickell so that's a  possibility. 

I actually know the AD's son; trying to get some insider info... :)

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

Just read Stu Mandel's mailbag and he threw out PJ Fleck as a potential name for the job and you know what?  It's not the craziest thing I've heard.  Fleck has the same rah-rah personality that Pete Carroll has and as much as it pains me to say this, he's done a really nice job in 2 spots building up the culture and he would take the USC job in a heartbeat.  The interesting litmus test for me would be if Fleck's personality would be viewed as authentic to big-time recruits.  

• Plus1 1