Nebraska - Oklahoma... THE Rivalry above all rivalries

Nebraska - Oklahoma, nothing else comes close in my opinion.  I'm 50 years old, and have grey and white hair with a great deal to do with the rivalry game that used to happen the day after Thanksgiving. 

Wishbone, Blackshirts, Sooner Magic, Bleeding Crimson and the battle of the big reds. 

Many years, it was make or break of the season.  I'm sure many if not all of us, had Dads who would yell at the TV even if they couldn't hear you, trying to will the Cornhuskers to victory.  I had a Dad who on the Nebraska Oklahoma game would be decked out in a Husker hat, at least 4 Nebraska shirts, Husker Socks and Husker shoes that were given to him as a gift from his nephew, my cousin who was a Nebraska Cheerleader.  

The Rivalry...

Edited by cornhuskers4ever
added video
  • Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 4

Have some great memories and terrible heartbreak when it comes to the Oklahoma rivalry.  I know it's been labeled as a "respectful rivalry" in the past 15-20 years, but I freaking hated Oklahoma when I was a kid.

If you have a subscription to The Athletic, Mitch Sherman and an OU beat writer are doing daily stories about big games and events of past NU-OU games.  They have been pretty cool to read so far.

Finally, there was a great segment on 1620 the Zone yesterday.  Jack Mitchell and John Bishop nailed my thoughts on Oklahoma when I was a kid.  Here is the video.  It's a good 30 minute segment to watch/listen.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeSEDfcV9pc&t=2s

• Plus1 2

Husker players now don't understand ("feel") that rivalry any more than they understand much of anything that was going on before they were born.  I'm sure they've been reading about it and that some are intrigued a bit;  perhaps it'll add a bit of juice to their efforts. 

2 minutes ago, hagg said:

Husker players now don't understand ("feel") that rivalry any more than they understand much of anything that was going on before they were born.  I'm sure they've been reading about it and that some are intrigued a bit;  perhaps it'll add a bit of juice to their efforts. 

The media asked Luke Reimer if he knew anything about the Game of the Century, and he guessed "was that in the 60s or 70s".  At first, I thought "how could he not know", but then the more I thought about it, that was something that happened 50 years ago.  That's like asking me about my thoughts on World War II when I was in college in the mid-90s.  It's something that seems like ancient history.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The media asked Luke Reimer if he knew anything about the Game of the Century, and he guessed "was that in the 60s or 70s".  At first, I thought "how could he not know", but then the more I thought about it, that was something that happened 50 years ago.  That's like asking me about my thoughts on World War II when I was in college in the mid-90s.  It's something that seems like ancient history.

Yeah.  I'm hoping Scott Frost will be able to impart some of the real feel of those days and that one game to the players.. perhaps with some film.

24 minutes ago, hagg said:

You could apply this to the blackshirts as well.

11 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

How so?  I think the current staff has done a good job of bringing back former Blackshirts to hand out the current Blackshirts and dole out wisdom on what it means to be a Blackshirt.

Because when was the last time the Blackshirts actually played like Blackshirts all season long? Suh 2009? And before that it wasn't since sometime in 2000. IMO, the Blackshirts died in Boulder, Colorado in 2001.

• Plus1 2

Besides the 1970 NC game against LSU won by Nebraska, my earliest Husker memory is the Game of the Century.  The whole family was gathered at my uncle and aunts place in Sioux Falls for Thanksgiving turkey and we all watched the game.  I was 15 years old then.   I've rode the emotional rollercoster ever since.  My wife and I moved to

Tulsa Nov 1978 - just prior to Tom's fist big win over OU.  It was great celebrating the win in the midst of sooner land.  Then the disappointing loss to Mo and the rematch.  What a let down.  But we ruled the first few years of the 1980s and at the end of the decade only to have sooner magic rise up in the mid 1980s.  We ruled the 1990s.  I was at the 2000 game in Norman when OU came from behind to beat # 1 Nebraska.   That was the last OU/Neb game I attended. 

I have to add:  Several years back when NU and OU played for the B19 12 championship, a local sports radio was having an on air OU trivia contest.  The callers of course were OU fans - until I called. First I surprised the radio guy that I was a Nebraska fan.  Then even more so, I ended up winning the contest - knowing more about OU than some of the local yokal OU fans (or Hillbillies as BC would have said).  But that is how us Nebraska fans are - we are the most knowledgeable fans out there - N stands for Knowledge we all know that to be a fact.   And by the way: :ou1:

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1