Former Players Who Transferred- Stats

Seems we talk quite a bit about the loses of players to the transfer portal. 

How well did these guys do- how big a loss were they really?

JD Spielman- lots of people thought losing him left a crater in our offense. Maybe so. But when he moved on his numbers have not been very good. He has done very little at TCU and I think Patterson is a really good coach. We missed Spielman last year- the old Spielman, not the one with the mental issues he had/has now. We are much better off with Toure. An amazing athlete, smart, mature and situationally aware.

The guys that thought Spielman would crush it at TCU were dead wrong. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/team/stats/_/id/2628

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

how's wandale doing?  He's the only other one that we are "missing"

Out of all the guys in the last few years, Robinson is the one that hurts the most.  He has posted pretty similar numbers to Toure's this year at Kentucky.  I think he was a genuinely good kid who was a casualty of Covid. 

image.png.072c681794eb3abb6fdd2b4ef9aa0224.png

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

Wandale Robinson has had a good start to his career in Kentucky, and I think of his transfer more of wanting to be close to his sick mom (along with an overbearing father and trainer).  That was less of how he liked Nebraska.

On the other hand, Luke McCaffrey has struggled in his first 2 games at Rice.  Now, he's playing for a team with a lot less talent than their opponents, but it will be interesting how long he sticks at Rice.  I wouldn't be surprised if Luke ends up transferring to UNC to end up playing for his dad.

• Plus1 2

Wandale Robinson is killing it at Kentucky.

So we had one tiny guy who transferred and is failing and one who transferred and is crushing it. Maybe the guy who is failing- it had little to do with NU and all about him.

Would have been great to see how Wandale would have done with Toure as an additional threat and warm bodies in our RB room. 

https://ukathletics.com/sports/football/stats

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Wandale Robinson is killing it at Kentucky

So we had one tiny guy who transferred and is failing and one who transferred and is crushing it. Maybe the guy who is failing- it had little to do with NU and all about him.

https://ukathletics.com/sports/football/stats

Even with Wandale, I would say it had little to do with NU, and more to do with dealing with his family issues.  I understand NU wasn't using him exactly like he thought he would, but I think that was upsetting Wandale's dad and trainer, and less of Wandale.

• Plus1 1

Greg Bell is one of the best RBs in the MWC and someone we could have used but he was promised a starting job here and got mad when he lost it and left.

Avery Roberts is one of the best LBs in the Pac12 and definitely the one that hurts the most in my opinion but for whatever reason he and Ruud didn’t click and it’s possible Roberts would never have put in the work here and needed the change of scenery.

I’m actually glad for Wan’Dale that he’s flourishing. I think it was a loss but Toure is amazing.

• Plus1 2
  • Nebraska55fan changed the title to Former Players Who Transferred Numbers
8 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Would have been great to see how Wandale would have done with Toure as an additional threat and warm bodies in our RB room. 

This would have been huge for Wandale.  If he were here, he would be doing extremely well with decent (not great yet ) RBs and one or two really good other options at WR.

That said, with our current WR room, I don't think we are really missing him much.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This would have been huge for Wandale.  If he were here, he would be doing extremely well with decent (not great yet ) RBs and one or two really good other options at WR.

That said, with our current WR room, I don't think we are really missing him much.

Agree with the last statement IF we can stay healthy.  I do think Brown can help a lot more than he has been used though- they have some similarities.  

Tristan Gebbia hasn't seen any action through 2 games at Oregon State.  After starting 4 games last year, I'm not sure where he sits on the depth chart this year or if he's been injured.  Tyjon Lindsey has 4 receptions for 42 yards, but has only played in 1 of the 2 Beaver games this year, so he might be injured as well.

Patrick Obrien left Colorado State for Washington this past offseason, but has not played for the Huskies.

• Plus1 4
13 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Wandale Robinson has had a good start to his career in Kentucky, and I think of his transfer more of wanting to be close to his sick mom (along with an overbearing father and trainer).  That was less of how he liked Nebraska.

On the other hand, Luke McCaffrey has struggled in his first 2 games at Rice.  Now, he's playing for a team with a lot less talent than their opponents, but it will be interesting how long he sticks at Rice.  I wouldn't be surprised if Luke ends up transferring to UNC to end up playing for his dad.

I have watched a fair amount of UK football this year and it is good to see Wandale thriving in their offense.  In fact, I found myself cheering when he broke loose on an end around against Mizzou last weekend. 

While I agree that there were personal dynamics that played in his decision to ultimately return to the Bluegrass State, I do think our misuse of his talent played a role.  UK is utilizing him in a manner consistent with talents. 

NU misused his skillset by running him between the tackles and exposing him to repeated punishment from 300+ lb. defensive lineman.  In Year 3 (last season), we should have developed at least one IB to shoulder the rushing attempts and not left that burden to a sub-180 lb. slot receiver.  Very happy that he has found a good offensive home to showcase his talents.  And a winner no less.  

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Nebraska55fan changed the title to Former Players Who Transferred- Stats