Former Players Who Transferred- Stats

31 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Just interesting to see how things shake out. Are we missing? Is it the player? Is it the coaching?

Luke has been Luke since he left. 

Many suggested that losing JD was catastrophic and our fault- well he has done very little for a well coached TCU team. 

Wandale we all agreed was a pretty big hit. He has shined at his new home. 

Green was thought to have been a big loss- with lots of potential- but most likely not- only FAU picked him up and he bombed there. 

Jones seemed like a Johnson type player or a poor mans Wandale- people thought he was a pretty good player- never did anything here or anywhere. 

Some of talk about Fleming doing well in practice- never saw it on the field- here or anywhere else. 

I do think it is interesting too.

Sometimes it seems there is schadenfreude, or some kind of apologist posting going on.

Some of these guys are pretty young still. It would be good to have them and see if they develop.

I also think so much of how a player turns out is opportunity and confidence. Just bc/ player a didn’t do well at the new school doesn’t mean they wouldn’t have here, especially with time.

JD not doing well at TCU doesn’t mean his loss didn’t hurt us.

Keyshaun did seem like he might be something from recruiting.
‘Luke needs to get humble and change positions 

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Yes losing old JD hurt us. However he wasn't the same player by the end of the 2019 Season as he was in 2017 and 2018 and hasn't seemed to recover from that. We don't lose much by not having todays JD on our team. 

that could be completely true. He got absolutely bl0wn up by some of those floaters over the middle.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, macroboy said:

What do we want these stats to mean? They are not that good so it wasn’t that big of a deal they left? Because that also means they shouldn’t have been recruited. 

I’d be curious what it looks like in a few years.

I think it's more of a "grass isn't always greener" illustration.

Three of those guys aren't even on rosters right now.  Seemed like they were looking for something better and haven't found it.

Fleming seemingly left because he didn't think he was playing enough.  He had 5 catches for 75 yards through three games for us.  Then he didn't get much time in the fourth game and left.  Now he's done significantly less than that.

• Plus1 3

12 hours ago, Mavric said:

I think it's more of a "grass isn't always greener" illustration.

That is the best way to sum it up in my opinion.  I do think some of them are good players who landed in poor spots.  For instance Luke is now surrounded by 2 star talent and has to compete against higher level teams for a chunk of his schedule- makes him look worse than he is.  Hopefully future players considering transfer see this happens to the majority but, at 18-22 years old, it's hard not to look at the success stories.  

21 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

For instance Luke is now surrounded by 2 star talent and has to compete against higher level teams for a chunk of his schedule- makes him look worse than he is. 

Luke cratered out at NU- then couldn't stick at Louisville. Ending up at Rice of all places, then not doing well there? Pretty good evidence he is not a very good QB at all, in fact a bad QB, no matter where he would be playing. Should have moved to slot receiver- returning kicks. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Luke cratered out at NU- then couldn't stick at Louisville. Ending up at Rice of all places, then not doing well there? Pretty good evidence he is not a very good QB at all, in fact a bad QB. Should have moved to slot receiver- returning kicks. 

Agree completely- but that has nothing to do with what I posted.  The point is that most who have transferred away end up on lower caliber teams where they have a better chance at playing time.  That in turn lowers their performance potential making them look worse than they would had they stayed at Nebraska- even with limited playing time.   

2 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Agree completely- but that has nothing to do with what I posted.  The point is that most who have transferred away end up on lower caliber teams where they have a better chance at playing time.  That in turn lowers their performance potential making them look worse than they would had they stayed at Nebraska- even with limited playing time.   

Your point is valid. But, with Luke, the only way he would look better here is if he changed positions.  

7 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Your words exact words" I do think some of them are good players who landed in poor spots" then you gave the Luke example of moving to a small school with no talent etc. I showed that Luke ISNT a good player, that example was incorrect and I showed why. 

The evidence so far on kids transferring out- most of them haven't done very well at all. Wandale looks to be the outlier. Which is a good thing for those keeping score. 

6 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Luke cratered out at NU- then couldn't stick at Louisville. Ending up at Rice of all places, then not doing well there? Pretty good evidence he is not a very good QB at all, in fact a bad QB, no matter where he would be playing. Should have moved to slot receiver- returning kicks. 

I agree that Luke is not a QB, but to be fair, Rice has played Arkansas, Houston, and Texas thus far. No QB would perform well given that talent differential.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Caveman said:

I agree that Luke is not a QB, but to be fair, Rice has played Arkansas, Houston, and Texas thus far. No QB would perform well given that talent differential.

Fair enough. He had no chance to crack the lineup at Louisville and not many teams came calling. I saw him play here- he's not a QB and he just isn't going to have a very good season regardless of talent. His dad coached him at QB- in youth and HS. REmember he didn't even start in HS until he was a Senior. Really blown opportunity 

8 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Your words exact words" I do think some of them are good players who landed in poor spots" then you gave the Luke example of moving to a small school with no talent etc. I showed that Luke ISNT a good player, that example was incorrect and I showed exactly why. 

The evidence so far on kids transferring out- most of them haven't done very well at all. Wandale looks to be the outlier. 

I do think Luke is a good football player who could potentially be a great player with a position change.  That said, he performed a whole lot better at Nebraska than he has so far at Rice.

Nebraska - 64.7% completion rate with 5.95 rushing yards per attempt.

Rice - 50% completion rate with 1.2 yards per attempt.

Again, you aren't following the conversation.  You have managed to steer the entire thread into an argument about something that wasn't even a topic.  Back on topic - Again, most players who transfer to lower level teams are going to look worse than they have at Nebraska.  The outlier is Robinson.  I believe that is because he landed on a team with a fairly strong roster, good coaching, and they had a need at his position.  

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Hilltop said:

I do think Luke is a good football player who could potentially be a great player with a position change.  That said, he performed a whole lot better at Nebraska than he has so far at Rice.

Nebraska - 64.7% completion rate with 5.95 rushing yards per attempt.

Rice - 50% completion rate with 1.2 yards per attempt.

Again, you aren't following the conversation.  You have managed to steer the entire thread into an argument about something that wasn't even a topic.  Back on topic - Again, most players who transfer to lower level teams are going to look worse than they have at Nebraska.  The outlier is Robinson.  I believe that is because he landed on a team with a fairly strong roster, good coaching, and they had a need at his position.  

Well you're wrong again. Most players who transfer to lower levels of competition- IF they were legit Power 5 kids- one would think they would START ahead of the lesser competition that are on their teams right? Most aren't- they aren't even starting. Those playing often times are playing in leagues where the teams are playing against LESSER competition than Power 5- one would think if they were legit Power 5 kids, they would do well. The facts are MOST of them aren't. 

Most of the thread I started posts are just discussing where the kids that left NU went- not some debate. Sorry- got to run, heading to the game and where I'm from it's rude to be on your phone when you're with your friends. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
15 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Well you're wrong again. Most players who transfer to lower levels of competition- IF they were legit Power 5 kids- one would think they would START ahead of the lesser competition that are on their teams right? Most aren't- they aren't even starting. Those playing often times are playing in leagues where the teams are playing against LESSER competition than Power 5- one would think if they were legit Power 5 kids, they would do well. The facts are MOST of them aren't. 

Most of the thread I started posts are just discussing where the kids that left NU went- not some debate. Sorry- got to run, heading to the game and where I'm from it's rude to be on your phone when you're with your friends. 

As per usual, you are accusing someone of being "wrong" when all you are doing is disagreeing. 

You can't prove someone "wrong" by making all the assumptions and generalizations that you are doing.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1