Former Players Who Transferred- Stats

On 9/14/2021 at 8:22 AM, Nebraska55fan said:

Seems we talk quite a bit about the loses of players to the transfer portal. 

How well did these guys do- how big a loss were they really?

JD Spielman- lots of people thought losing him left a crater in our offense. Maybe so. But when he moved on his numbers have not been very good. He has done very little at TCU and I think Patterson is a really good coach. We missed Spielman last year- the old Spielman, not the one with the mental issues he had/has now. We are much better off with Toure. An amazing athlete, smart, mature and situationally aware.

The guys that thought Spielman would crush it at TCU were dead wrong. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/team/stats/_/id/2628

I like to remember JD Spielman as the guy who was about to hold every receiving record at Nebraska, an absolutely clutch possession receiver who took massive hits on poorly thrown balls, and sometimes seemed to keep Nebraska in the game by himself.  Whatever mental health issues he has now, he had then. I take zero comfort that he's not succeeding elsewhere. 

Wandale is succeeding because Kentucky is using him almost exclusively as a receiver, and not pretending he's also a traditional running back. He's an exciting player, but Frost was treating Wandale as the offense's only legitimate threat, and that wasn't good for Wandale or the offense.  Wandale could still be thriving on a Nebraska team with more traditional wide receivers like Toure and Manning by giving him the role he was born to play -- wingback. Like Bobby Newcombe and Johnny Rodgers. Like Kentucky is doing. 

• Plus1 8
30 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Wandale could still be thriving on a Nebraska team with more traditional wide receivers like Toure and Manning by giving him the role he was born to play -- wingback. Like Bobby Newcombe and Johnny Rodgers. Like Kentucky is doing. 

Like we would be doing this year if he would have had the stick to ittiveness to hang around and see the project through, but he had other things important to him so it is what it is. 

We will have to see how the season plays out. In general, when players flake to find better opportunities elsewhere, they don't.  Even in the case of Wandale, it is possible by the end of the season we could show that he may have still not benefited stat wise/football wise from shifting to Kentucky.  

Really, what I take home from these discussions is that 90% of the time the problem lies with the player and his expectations as opposed to our coaches being a$$-ups, which, not going to lie, I prefer. 

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

Really, what I take home from these discussions is that 90% of the time the problem lies with the player and his expectations as opposed to our coaches being a$$-ups, which, not going to lie, I prefer. 

I'd prefer that, too. Doesn't always mean it's the case.

Keep in mind that every player Nebraska gets in the portal is flaking on a team and coach. 

• Plus1 1
On 9/24/2021 at 11:28 AM, Husker03 said:

Like we would be doing this year if he would have had the stick to ittiveness to hang around and see the project through, but he had other things important to him so it is what it is. 

We will have to see how the season plays out. In general, when players flake to find better opportunities elsewhere, they don't.  Even in the case of Wandale, it is possible by the end of the season we could show that he may have still not benefited stat wise/football wise from shifting to Kentucky.  

That seems to be what the data says all right. 

On 9/24/2021 at 9:43 AM, Mavric said:

As per usual, you are accusing someone of being "wrong" when all you are doing is disagreeing. 

You can't prove someone "wrong" by making all the assumptions and generalizations that you are doing.

Here you go- using your own post=

"With some help from RSS:

Keyshawn Green (FAU) is in the portal again but hasn't landed anywhere

CJ Smith is still looking for a home

Henry Gray (FIU) had one tackle last year.  No stats this year.

Jaiden Francios (UCF) no stats recorded

Miles Jones appears to be out of football

Ronald Delaney hasn't played at Toledo

Marcus Fleming has played two snaps for Maryland, catching one pass for minus-six yards."

Data is pretty clear. 

• Oh Yeah! 1

It is a bit odd that most folks hope that anybody transferring out from the Nebraska program fails miserably. Why? I do not understand. You all love them until they leave and then its like "oh, we never needed him anyway". 

That said, the transfer portal will be the cause of the college football as we know it today, to fail. 

• Plus1 1
35 minutes ago, CyHawk said:

It is a bit odd that most folks hope that anybody transferring out from the Nebraska program fails miserably. Why? I do not understand. You all love them until they leave and then its like "oh, we never needed him anyway". 

That said, the transfer portal will be the cause of the college football as we know it today, to fail. 

It's interesting to see. I have thoughts on how well kids will or won't do- but I don't root that they do poorly. However- the data might say something about the NU program. 

If a player does well- is that evidence that we made a mistake? Maybe he should have played more. Maybe we didn't manage the relationship well. Maybe they got better development once they left? If we have a lot of these, that's not a good sign, we don't seem to have a bunch of these. 

If a player didn't do well after he transferred- maybe he wasn't a Power 5 level athlete to begin with or wasn't developed well. Or he had an injury or situation that couldn't be overcome, even in a different environment. A mixed bag of signals- not all bad. 

• Fire 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2021 at 11:34 AM, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'd prefer that, too. Doesn't always mean it's the case.

Keep in mind that every player Nebraska gets in the portal is flaking on a team and coach. 

Are they? It could also be a move along chute for the ones that don’t develop mentally or physically. 

• Plus1 1

11 hours ago, krc1995 said:

Are they? It could also be a move along chute for the ones that don’t develop mentally or physically. 

At the end of the day, some kids don't adjust well at college. Away from home for the first time, they are no longer "the guy". Facing competition like they've never had, competing against like or better players for the first time for playing time. Football becoming such an overwhelming part of your life. Most have no idea the time and emotional commitment these guys go through to play college football. Some kids just don't handle that very well. Hence the transfers to the lower level programs closer to home for many- where they often times are surprised at how good and how committed lower level program kids are too. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
On 9/26/2021 at 4:10 PM, Nebraska55fan said:

Here you go- using your own post=

"With some help from RSS:

Keyshawn Green (FAU) is in the portal again but hasn't landed anywhere

CJ Smith is still looking for a home

Henry Gray (FIU) had one tackle last year.  No stats this year.

Jaiden Francios (UCF) no stats recorded

Miles Jones appears to be out of football

Ronald Delaney hasn't played at Toledo

Marcus Fleming has played two snaps for Maryland, catching one pass for minus-six yards."

Data is pretty clear. 

Oh so they are all doing what they would have been at Nebraska anyway lol..

• Plus1 1

Completely random thoughts here.

When Wan'Dale announced he was leaving in the spring I felt like it hurt our chances this season a ton. And I even said that I thought it was hurting after the season had begun.

However, seeing the emergence of Toure, Manning, Martin, & Betts I really feel differently now.

But here's another thing: We run so much double tight end sets now. Could be wrong about this but when you've only got 2 receivers in these big sets I think you'd rather have 6'2", 6'3" & 6'4" receivers out there as wideouts as a little guy.

Definitely not a "we're better off without him" comment but the double tight end sets thing was something I was just thinking about.

• Plus1 3
6 minutes ago, Undone said:

Completely random thoughts here.

When Wan'Dale announced he was leaving in the spring I felt like it hurt our chances this season a ton. And I even said that I thought it was hurting after the season had begun.

However, seeing the emergence of Toure, Manning, Martin, & Betts I really feel differently now.

But here's another thing: We run so much double tight end sets now. Could be wrong about this but when you've only got 2 receivers in these big sets I think you'd rather have 6'2", 6'3" & 6'4" receivers out there as wideouts as a little guy.

Definitely not a "we're better off without him" comment but the double tight end sets thing was something I was just thinking about.

until you see the option where we motion the WR to be the pitch man and imagine Wan'Dale as the pitch option for Martinez. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
Just now, Hedley Lamarr said:

until you see the option where we motion the WR to be the pitch man and imagine Wan'Dale as the pitch option for Martinez. 

Agreed. Toure is decent at it, Betts is decent at it, but I can get my mind around that.   :)

But I do wonder if he saw himself kind of getting less touches based on both scheme & personnel this year that also led to him transferring.