Former Players Who Transferred- Stats

1 minute ago, All Hail Herbie said:

I concede that I was overwhelmed.  Bottom line, the IB situation is like many the last 4 years, one where we were less than prepared and frankly not agile enough to deal with.  If we accept that there are two foundational dynamics to football; personnel and play selection, than why not simply alter the play calling to fit the new personnel (i.e. a 175 pound slot receiver)?  Why subject him to a game plan suited to a larger back? 

In other words, being the best option at IB does not necessarily translate to between the tackles rushing.  

Wandale is far better off in his current situation and our team is now unburdened with his presence and loaded with a stable of accomplished IBs.

Agreed.  It is challenging to alter the game plan based on injuries but slightly modifying it wouldn't have been that hard to keep him from running between the tackles.  

2 hours ago, irafreak said:

I opened this expecting a discussion about players that had changed numbers on their jersey while they were here. This then led me to believe we had a recent number swap and wondered who and why now. 

I was listening to a radio segment on the NU-OU series yesterday, and they commented how Tommie Frazier came back to suit up for the 1994 NU-OU game at the end of the season (after sitting out a number of games due to his blood clot issue).  They brought up a point which I totally forgot.  When Frazier suited up for that 1994 NU-OU game, Frazier wasn't wearing his traditional #15.  He was wearing #17 or #19 or something.  They didn't give the reason why Frazier wasn't wearing his traditional #15, but I wonder if it's due to a last minute decision to have him suit up, and they didn't have a #15 jersey available for the game in Norman.

• Plus1 1

Gebbia blew out his hamstring on a QB sneak at the end of last year's Oregon game.  He had surgery in the offseason and still hasn't returned to game duty.  He has practiced, but the hammy hasn't fully healed.  My guess is he'll start again this season as the QB we got from Colorado was a dud against Purdue and Gebbia's backup from last year started against Hawaii this past Saturday.   

• Nebraska55fan changed the title to Former Players Who Transferred- Stats

38 minutes ago, SuhGirls1Cup said:

Just saw Luke's stat line against Houston.  Yikes... Hope he does well there, but so far it is safe to say it wasn't a huge blow to the team having him leave. 

It's disappointing that Luke wasn't open to a position change, because there is nothing wrong with having that type of athlete on the roster/field.  Being a slot receiver who could do multiple things within an offense is where Luke would have the best success on the football field.

• Plus1 2
23 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

This would have been huge for Wandale.  If he were here, he would be doing extremely well with decent (not great yet ) RBs and one or two really good other options at WR.

That said, with our current WR room, I don't think we are really missing him much.

I doubt we get Toure if Wandale is here.  I’m happy with the “trade so far” 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1

23 hours ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Seems we talk quite a bit about the loses of players to the transfer portal. 

How well did these guys do- how big a loss were they really?

JD Spielman- lots of people thought losing him left a crater in our offense. Maybe so. But when he moved on his numbers have not been very good. He has done very little at TCU and I think Patterson is a really good coach. We missed Spielman last year- the old Spielman, not the one with the mental issues he had/has now. We are much better off with Toure. An amazing athlete, smart, mature and situationally aware.

The guys that thought Spielman would crush it at TCU were dead wrong. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/team/stats/_/id/2628

Straw man argument.

You can say that you believe a bunch of people were making it about how well he'd do somewhere else. Maybe a sizeable chunk of the fan base was saying that, maybe they weren't. But that isn't the real discussion. The real discussion was, aside from Wan'Dale who on the team was better than JD last year?

Answer: Nobody. Thus, losing him for Nebraska was a big deal. What he did or didn't do on another team was never the issue.

And what Toure brings as a transfer this year has little to do with Spielman because if we had them both this season it would be better than only having one of them...right?

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Undone said:

Straw man argument.

You can say that you believe a bunch of people were making it about how well he'd do somewhere else. Maybe a sizeable chunk of the fan base was saying that, maybe they weren't. But that isn't the real discussion. The real discussion was, aside from Wan'Dale who on the team was better than JD?

Answer: Nobody. Thus, losing him for Nebraska was a big deal. What he did or didn't do on another team was never the issue.

And what Toure brings as a transfer this year has nothing to do with Spielman because if had them both it would be better than only having one of them.

It wasn't a big loss at all- because he has some issues upstairs that hold him back from being a productive football player. Since he left he has done nothing- hence he would not have helped us be a better football team. 

Having Speilman on the team now would just be wasting a roster spot and possibly having someone that hurts the buy in factor of others. 

Those that said he would tear it up at TCU were sadly mistaken.

5 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I doubt we get Toure if Wandale is here.  I’m happy with the “trade so far” 

Yes, Toure seems to be the complete receiver.  It also forces Frost not to place him in the position of a RB (like WanDale) except on that beautifully executed triple option play - get the ball to him in space and let him do his thing. Hope to see a bunch of that against OU.  

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Yes, Toure seems to be the complete receiver.  It also forces Frost not to place him in the position of a RB (like WanDale) except on that beautifully executed triple option play - get the ball to him in space and let him do his thing. Hope to see a bunch of that against OU.  

Yep.  I really like how he plays, his routes, and his versatility. He seems sneaky fast too 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1