Former Players Who Transferred- Stats

29 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Yep.  I really like how he plays, his routes, and his versatility. He seems sneaky fast too 

Leaving out some things that make a long term good player. He's extremely smart- he understands the game, coverages, concepts and has great technique. He understands leverage and where the holes are going to be in the defense. 

He also is very calm and situationally aware. Watch when he is interviewing. Confident, knowledgeable, no hesitation, no stammering. He can create separation and knows how to alter his routes and get offs to help create separation. Excellent body control, lowers his hips well on the breaks so he doesn't have to slow down. Just a really smooth player. Really good get to say the very least. 

5 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Yep.  I really like how he plays, his routes, and his versatility. He seems sneaky fast too 

He's sneaky big!  That's the biggest difference between him and Wandale.  A 6'3" slot receiver is a lot nicer than a 5'10" slot receiver.  This is especially important on passes downfield where Adrian is forced to throw over a LB.

• Plus1 2
12 minutes ago, Undone said:

Again - what he went on to do or not do at another program cannot necessarily be reverse engineered into what he would or wouldn't have done for the 'skers in 2020.

An inherently flawed and unproductive player at a mediocre program in a weak conference isn't going to fare any better at NU than TCU. 

Wandale has shown he is a P5 football player- JD has not. Not since his season end meltdown. 

13 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

An inherently flawed and unproductive player at a mediocre program in a weak conference isn't going to fare any better at NU than TCU. 

Wandale has shown he is a P5 football player- JD has not. Not since his season end meltdown. 

You're actually claiming that a guy who is 3rd in career Yds/Catches, has 3 of the top ten receiving seasons in Nebraska history in the 3 years he played here is "inherently flawed and unproductive?" That is an incredible stretch. JD was an excellent receiver, the fact that he's had issues at TCU has no bearing on what he was here.

• Plus1 5

There have definitely been some missteps by the staff - not to harp on them because it happens everywhere - but some unfortunate ones that have hurt in the long run.

That said, even though it didn’t work out how we all hoped, I thought the Luke McCaffrey recruitment was a very unique and awesome idea by the staff. At the time (can’t stress enough that I mean at the time), we had a true freshman, future Heisman candidate at QB. Luke was a 4-star ATH with a 2-star QB offer list but wanted to play QB. Frost basically said, “look it’s going to take you a couple of years of development, you know that, but in a couple years, Adrian will be leaving to the pros. And then you’ll be our guy.” I thought Mario and Frost were going to turn him into a beast QB.

Injuries, the pandemic, and some weird stuff has pretty much guaranteed that Adrian will be here for this year and another year and I can’t blame Luke for realizing he wasn’t going to get the chance he thought he was at QB. If he would have accepted a gadget role, we’d no doubt be utilizing him but he didn’t want that. Can’t blame him but it worked out for both parties.

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

You're actually claiming that a guy who is 3rd in career Yds/Catches, has 3 of the top ten receiving seasons in Nebraska history in the 3 years he played here is "inherently flawed and unproductive?" That is an incredible stretch. JD was an excellent receiver, the fact that he's had issues at TCU has no bearing on what he was here.

He is flawed today- not was. He has trouble putting in the work and running routes that could involve contact. Now he is a shell of the productive player he was earlier in his career at Nebraska. That last Nebraska season- he just couldn't take it- it ruined him. Today He is a MUCH different player upstairs than the one who caught so many balls at NU. 

• Haha 2
4 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

He is flawed- he has trouble putting in the work and running routes that could involve contact. Now he is a shell of the productive player he was earlier in his career at Nebraska. That last Nebraska season- he just couldnt take it- it ruined him. Today He is a MUCH different player upstairs than the one who caught so many balls at NU. 

JD and WanDale are similar in that they both were good.  But, they needed a player like Toure or Manning with them to make them really shine.  Problem was, neither had that other that JD his freshman year.

It just doesn't work to have your only threat at WR to be 5'10 with good, but not blazing speed.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

He is flawed- he has trouble putting in the work and running routes that could involve contact. Now he is a shell of the productive player he was earlier in his career at Nebraska. That last Nebraska season- he just couldnt take it- it ruined him. Today He is a MUCH different player upstairs than the one who caught so many balls at NU. 

I don't remember the game(s), but the kid got destroyed over the middle play after play several weeks in row one year.  He was clutch.

He was a different dude.  It didn't work here, but he was a baller.

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

JD and WanDale are similar in that they both were good.  But, they needed a player like Toure or Manning with them to make them really shine.  Problem was, neither had that other that JD his freshman year.

Sure, I agree with you minus Manning- he hasn't proved he can stay on the field yet. However 2021 JD isn't 2018 JD. Those are two very different players. He would be an unproductive distraction here and then there is the dad etc. 

Just now, Nebraska55fan said:

Sure, I agree with you. However 2021 JD isn't 2018 JD. Those are two very different players. He would be an unproductive distraction here and then there is the dad etc. 

I agree with you in that he wouldn't be a huge help to us this year.  I like what the staff has done with the WR room.  We went through years where we only had JD, then only had WanDale.  Now, we have talent where we have multiple options.  That's way better than either one of those by themselves.

JD was TCUs 9th best receiver last year with 56 yards

28 rushing

https://www.espn.com/college-football/team/stats/_/id/2628/season/2020

THis season JD is TCUs 5th best receiver with 35 yards-

7 yards rushing

https://www.espn.com/college-football/team/stats/_/id/2628/season/2020

He had 800+ yards here each of his 3 years. 

To think that something ISNT dramatically different in his game in 2019 and today is beyond delusional

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

He's sneaky big!  That's the biggest difference between him and Wandale.  A 6'3" slot receiver is a lot nicer than a 5'10" slot receiver.  This is especially important on passes downfield where Adrian is forced to throw over a LB.

Your last sentence is a very good point.  More room slight error on those passes. 

• Plus1 2