NCAA Considering Upping 25 New Player Annual Limit

Mavric

NCAA officials are moving closer to an immediate expansion of the annual 25-person signing limit as a way for coaches to replace players they’ve lost to the burgeoning transfer portal. The NCAA Division I Football Oversight Committee is finalizing a proposal that would change the signing limit this cycle in what’s being described as a one-year waiver of relief until a permanent policy is created.

Multiple officials spoke to Sports Illustrated under the condition of anonymity given the sensitive nature of ongoing deliberations on the proposals.

A compromise is finally emerging among a group of proposals. Under the plan, schools can sign 25 new players while gaining additional signee spots for every player who transfers out of their program—up to a certain limit. The extra spots would be based on the number of players who enter the transfer portal under their own volition and would be capped at a figure, such as seven.

For instance, a school that loses five players to the portal can sign 30 new players. A school that loses 10 players to the portal can sign 32 new signees, if the cap were seven. The replacement cap has not been finalized.

In fact, other proposals are being discussed as well, including one that simply increases the total signees to 30, 32 or 35. Another proposal, still being vetted, would require a school to use its 25 spots on high school players and would give a school an additional five to seven spots for transfers.

SI

• Plus1 1

NU where it is right now- this may not be much help, in fact it may make us less competitive. The OSUs and Bamas of the world can stockpile even more players and anyone that doesn't pan out gets flushed down the toilet and creates an additional scholarship spot. Our recruiting looks like it has hit a brick wall of late, not sure the additional scholarships help NU much right now. 

5 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

I don’t see how this would help and from a Husker POV, I don’t think help is needed. The sheer number of transfers was astonishing, but I think we gained more in quality than we lost in quantity. Wandale hurt, but that is all. 

What may make sense is trying to figure out an effective and efficient way quickly evaluate transfer players. Not sure this coaching staff has the skills for this- but this could be a way to gain a competitive advantage over other programs that don't have it figured out well. Something NU should throw money, people and technology at to get a leg up. 

Michigan State is a program that has flipped its roster by heavily investing in the transfer portal. Looks like its paying off for him. 

https://statenews.com/article/2021/09/transfer-portal-talk-the-new-faces-of-michigan-state-football?ct=content_open&cv=cbox_latest

• Plus1 1

5 hours ago, Nebraska55fan said:

What may make sense is trying to figure out an effective and efficient way quickly evaluate transfer players. Not sure this coaching staff has the skills for this- but this could be a way to gain a competitive advantage over other programs that don't have it figured out well. Something NU should throw money, people and technology at to get a leg up. 

Michigan State is a program that has flipped its roster by heavily investing in the transfer portal. Looks like its paying off for him. 

https://statenews.com/article/2021/09/transfer-portal-talk-the-new-faces-of-michigan-state-football?ct=content_open&cv=cbox_latest

You can better predict how a kid will physically develop. Like Juco, but you could get kids with 3-4 years of eligibility. Given our whiffs in recruiting,  it might be a better strategy to getting athletes to Lincoln. Except lineman.  I think you need all 4-5 years with them. Not sure about this, but I would assume lineman are the least likely to transfer. 

And why have a limit at all? Let OSU and Alabama do the recruiting and we’ll pick up their sophomore leftovers. 

• Plus1 1