Stockholm Syndrome...?

thatguy

As of 2 weeks, maybe 10 days ago, i wanted Frost and this staff fired.

Part of me still does, because from a logical standpoint, his results say there needs to be a change, and if this were any other blue blood, we over here would be wondering why he hasn't been fired yet.

So why am i wavering? lol is this the textbook definition of "simping"??

The more i think about what could be with frost and some flashes of what we see on gameday, the more i feel he has a shot, a chance to show that he can succeed at this level and in the B1G. but, i just can't get around the issues this team has. or is this just a case of getting comfortable with the mediocrity?

We watch and wait i guess. hopefully the team comes out prepared and ready to play.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, I am I said:

I want to give him 5 full yrs. 

the covid year barely even counts to me, what a National but especially a B1G disgrace. 

I have patience. If after 5 yrs we haven’t gone to a bowl I can deal with what they decide. 

That's where i'm at. We need to have some stability, but if we are in same position this and next year, than peace boy.

• Plus1 3

I was thinking yesterday too about where the program is today compared to what it was under Riley. Besides Riley's one decent year where at one point we were unbeaten and #7 in the country before falling in OT to Wisconsin, we are basically the same team/program. Then I asked myself, just as I asked myself back when we hired Riley, would I rather be this program under a 65 year old head coach who has been coaching for 35 years, or be the same program under a young head coach, who is a Nebraskan and former player, who has time and needs time to grow and develop? Thinking this way the choice was  clear, just like it was back in 2015 and just like it was in 2018, I'd take Frost any day.

• Plus1 3
27 minutes ago, I am I said:

I want to give him 5 full yrs. 

the covid year barely even counts to me, what a National but especially a B1G disgrace. 

I have patience. If after 5 yrs we haven’t gone to a bowl I can deal with what they decide. 

Exactly, we need to give him a legitimate shot. Hard to sell the next guy to come here when we've fired our last 2 coaches in a 7 year span. 

Personally, I'm not going to uproot my family to travel to the middle of the country if they're only going to give me 3 years to right the ship.

• Plus1 1

Just now, PattyG said:

Exactly we need to give him a legitimate shot. Hard to sell the next guy to come here when we've fired our last 2 coaches in a 7 year span. 

Personally I'm not going to uproot my family to travel to the middle of the country if they're only going to give me 3 years to right the ship.

Especially when results haven't been that of what they were in the 90's or early 2000's, or even the late 2010's, and yet it seems the expectations should still be where it was in 2003. 

The revolving door at head coach hasn't been the solution to our problems. Let the time ride itself out and see where it gets us. I'd rather we do that with Frost then to have done that with someone like Callahan or Riley, or any other outsider. Let's be patient and ride with one of our own.

2 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

I think you have to give Frost 5 years, but I have seen little that makes me think we are turning any corner to goodness, let alone greatness.

The Illinois game completely took the wind out of this programs sails. But had we managed to escape Illinois with a win, Our record of 3-0 would be a farce as we would once again be let down as we get embarrassed by Oklahoma. 

Our hope can be that the team learned from the Illinois loss, will certainly learn tomorrow vs Oklahoma, and there is enough improvement and development that we are able to beat the likes of Michigan State, Northwestern and Purdue. Trade that Illinois loss in for a win against those three teams, in which I think had we beaten Illinois and got embarrassed by Oklahoma, we lose one of those three games. So what I am saying is, maybe the Illinois loss balances itself out somewhere later in the season. I've forgotten, maybe because it's been four 3 years and we haven't really seen on field improvements, but just how bare the cupboard was here when Frost arrived. This was an enormous rebuild project.

18 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

The Illinois game completely took the wind out of this programs sails. But had we managed to escape Illinois with a win, Our record of 3-0 would be a farce as we would once again be let down as we get embarrassed by Oklahoma. 

Our hope can be that the team learned from the Illinois loss, will certainly learn tomorrow vs Oklahoma, and there is enough improvement and development that we are able to beat the likes of Michigan State, Northwestern and Purdue. Trade that Illinois loss in for a win against those three teams, in which I think had we beaten Illinois and got embarrassed by Oklahoma, we lose one of those three games. So what I am saying is, maybe the Illinois loss balances itself out somewhere later in the season. I've forgotten, maybe because it's been four 3 years and we haven't really seen on field improvements, but just how bare the cupboard was here when Frost arrived. This was an enormous rebuild project.

Who recruited Frost best RB? Best WR? Best Olinemen? Answer: Not Frost and his Staff. 

• Thanks 4

6 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Who recruited Frost best RB? Best WR? Best Olinemen? Answer: Not Frost and his Staff. 

Best RB? Ozigbo? Did Stanley Morgan Jr play with Frost? Who was a best Olinemen we have had in recent years? I haven't seen an actual beast of an Olinemen come through Nebraska in a very, very long time. Or at least was a beast while at NU. Our lines have looked small for over a decade. 

But if our best RB was Ozigbo, sorry although he was good, he isn't a RB that is winning us division titles, and besides Morgan and before him, Westerkamp, we haven't had a great WR that I can think of. 

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Most productive RB to this point?  No.  "Best"?  I feel pretty confident the answer is yes.

Similarly for WR, perhaps not best so far but it's not an apples-to-apples comparision.

Not to mention you're limiting your discussion to 4 out of 22 positions.

• Haha 2
5 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Best RB talentwise/ potential is definitely Washington. Production was Zig. But the lack of depth the former staff left really created a huge hole. No Freshman was going to come in and blow the doors off with the offensive line that was left. 

Best WR I think Frost did recruit Wandale and Toure... you could make a case that Morgan was better, but he was a Senior who had maxed out his potential and I'm not really sure he was better than Toure.

Best Olineman, I think that's probably Jurgens. - 

• Haha 1
36 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

If Frost only wins 4 games this year how can you justify a 5th? Like really? That shows other coaches hey 4 years show us some progress. Any coach worth a lick could manage that assuming we continue to pay 5+ mil a year. 

i agree here as well. at this point, frost is coaching for his job every week. he's likely not going 9-3, so then its the nature of the losses that will probably determine if he comes back. Hopefully. At least we hope Trev Alberts is not going to just accept whatever we see on the field.

• Plus1 1

One more year only if he delivers measurable improvement this season a-la five wins and some close losses and more semblance of an upward swing, such as average penalties per game or lower and the same with turnovers.  This to show that he’s coaching toward true goals instead of "guessing" (as he famously said last week).  Then, next year, six wins and a bowl win.  Up from there.  

otherwise, we’ve seen this all before and need to get a coaching staff worthy of other than success in lower tier conferences.