Stockholm Syndrome...?

thatguy

1 hour ago, TheSker said:

Mike Riley earned the nickname "ol' 500" after nearly three decades of head coaching.

Maybe we can wait more than 5 seasons to determine what Frost "predictably" is 

An undefeated season at any collegiate level is damn good.

He absolutely deserves praise and credit for that terrific season at UCF.  That said, sometimes you just catch lightning in a bottle.  None of the other seasons in which he has been a head coach reflect that level of success.

I maintain that it appears to be more of an aberration at this stage.  

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, Undone said:

This game tomorrow really doesn't matter much at all. More than anything it's just really bad luck in having to play another Top 5/Top 10 team in a season where Frost is already on the hot seat.

The Illinois loss is drastically skewing the fan base towards the side of potentially wanting Frost gone.

But on the other hand, there are 8 more games to play after tomorrow's contest. It is possible that we win 5/8 starting with Michigan State, get to 7-5, win a bowl game, and finish 8-5.

So I don't have a big desire to talk about firing Frost even if we're blown out tomorrow because OU will probably blow out most of the teams on their schedule, and also because again, there are 5 more winnable games left on the schedule anyway.

I pretty much agree with this. At this point I have all the patience in the world. I won’t be calling for him to fired but it also wouldn’t bother me much if he was let go. I don’t see the improvements. I do see the same problems every game since day 1.  I don’t see 5, or even 4, winnable games left on our schedule without some drastic on field improvements. I don’t see things improving next year without some big changes, primarily with the coaching staff.  But I’m done with the coaching carousel. I’d rather give Frost way too much time than not enough.

1 minute ago, JJ Husker said:

I pretty much agree with this. At this point I have all the patience in the world. I won’t be calling for him to fired but it also wouldn’t bother me much if he was let go. I don’t see the improvements. I do see the same problems every game since day 1.  I don’t see 5, or even 4, winnable games left on our schedule without some drastic on field improvements. I don’t see things improving next year without some big changes, primarily with the coaching staff.  But I’m done with the coaching carousel. I’d rather give Frost way too much time than not enough.

how many losing seasons are you cool with in a row? 

• Plus1 3

Just now, Hedley Lamarr said:

how many losing seasons are you cool with in a row? 

IDK….all of them. IMO we’ve sucked since the year before Solich got canned. I wasn’t impressed with Pelini’s 9 wins. Play in and win games of consequence or it doesn’t matter to me. I was lucky enough to experience the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s firsthand. Start winning some championships of some kind and the number of years will matter. But at this point its all been the same for the last 20 years to me.

• Haha 1

Everyone is expecting a blowout by Oklahoma.

They were expecting Oklahoma to blowout Tulane, but a well-coached and resilient Tulane took Oklahoma to the brink, despite a huge disparity in talent. 

Why can't Nebraska be Tulane?  Why don't we ever come out jacked and upset minded, with a ballsy scheme to match? 

Of course we can learn a lot about this team from the Oklahoma game. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

The game tomorrow does matter a lot. A lot of people, potential recruits, and future recruits are going to watch it.

The rivalry is being promoted and pushed by news outlets.

This is year 4. Most blue blood programs won't wait even 3 years for a coach to turn a program around.

We can point to improvements in areas, but the only improvement that matters is wins and losses.

Year 4 was circled as thee year. Not year 5. Most of the excuses that don't work at year 5, don't work at year 4.

Also, any excuses given in regards to 2020 doesn't work. Every other team lived through the pandemic. However, not every other team got busted for allegedly holding extra practices. It makes us look worse.

The season is far from over, let's see what happens.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Everyone is expecting a blowout by Oklahoma.

They were expecting Oklahoma to blowout Tulane, but a well-coached and resilient Tulane took Oklahoma to the brink, despite a huge disparity in talent. 

Why can't Nebraska be Tulane?  Why don't we ever come out jacked and upset minded, with a ballsy scheme to match? 

Of course we can learn a lot about this team from the Oklahoma game. 

Lack of fundamentals, coaching, and athleticism sums up the answer to those two questions. 

• Plus1 2

this oklahoma game definitely didnt help this situation. a loss is still a loss, but they truly didn't look so far off. the same three issues cost us a closer game, maybe a win. 

- special teams

- Oline consistency

- focus in the moment

all three are basically visible in pretty much every game in frost's tenure. and that basically speaks to a lack of attention to details. the little things are why frost is where he's at. its not really about any coach on staff but about frost himself. clean these up and he would be in indianapolis every year.