Stockholm Syndrome...?

thatguy

1 minute ago, soup said:

How many year 3 coaches also had their entire spring, fall practice and game schedule blown up because of a pandemic?  I agree the results aren't where we want them to be, but last year has to be factored in to any discussion about what is happening.

I don't think 2020 can be seen as that negative of a thing for the foundation and success of a program. For one, look at Chip Kelly at UCLA, he has been at UCLA just as long as Frost has been at Nebraska and so far it appears Kelly and UCLA got things figured out. Second, unless you were legitimate playoff contenders, 2020 should have been used as one long Spring practice to build and prepare for 2021. Also, didn't everyone get an extra year of eligibility due to the 2020 season? So more reason to have used 2020 as a roster developing and depth building season.

• Plus1 5

I don't think my opinion on Frost's job status is relevant (i.e. Trev's gonna do what Trev wants/needs to do). 

I will say that, if we don't make a bowl game this year, I think the only way Frost is able to continue as our head coach is if he makes some significant changes to his staff.  We've seen this buy other coaches one more year to attempt to right the ship.  I'm pretty convinced that he's too loyal to make the changes he probably should make, tho.  Those changes would be, almost exclusively, on the offensive side of the ball.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, soup said:

How many year 3 coaches also had their entire spring, fall practice and game schedule blown up because of a pandemic?  I agree the results aren't where we want them to be, but last year has to be factored in to any discussion about what is happening.

Thank God we were the only school that had to deal with that and couldnt gain any progress from a season. We are in year 4. We should be seeing a winning season this year. All I know is offensively we are a soup sandwich with an offensive guru as our HC. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1

As I have maintained for the past year, this staff will get a full 5 years for a variety of reasons.  Missing a bowl for the 5th consecutive season this year will merely trigger a countdown to an end of tenure in November, 2022 (barring an unforeseen, and frankly miraculous, turnaround in Year 5).  

We appreciate all that Coach Frost has done for this program as a player, coach and ambassador.  While I believe his tenure will indeed end in November, 2022, I recognize that there are many in this fanbase prepared to grant him even more time.  For those that feel that way, I would only point to his career record as evidence that the 13-0 UCF team was indeed an aberration, and not evidence of any future success.  He has predictably been a 0.500 coach throughout the remainder of his career and we should not expect any more at this stage.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

As I have maintained for the past year, this staff will get a full 5 years for a variety of reasons.  Missing a bowl for the 5th consecutive season this year will merely trigger a countdown to an end of tenure in November, 2022 (barring an unforeseen, and frankly miraculous, turnaround in Year 5).  

We appreciate all that Coach Frost has done for this program as a player, coach and ambassador.  While I believe his tenure will indeed end in November, 2022, I recognize that there are many in this fanbase prepared to grant him even more time.  For those that feel that way, I would only point to his career record as evidence that the 13-0 UCF team was indeed an aberration, and not evidence of any future success.  He has predictably been a 0.500 coach throughout the remainder of his career and we should not expect any more at this stage.

What a depressing post, take a sip of that Kool-Aid over there.

41 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

Mike Riley earned the nickname "ol' 500" after nearly three decades of head coaching.

Maybe we can wait more than 5 seasons to determine what Frost "predictably" is 

An undefeated season at any collegiate level is damn good.

2 hours ago, Undone said:

Yes.

And if we don't - if we go 5-7 because we lost to Illinois - I don't think Frost and his staff get to hide behind the tough schedule. 5-7 shows no improvement in year 4.

So I think he'll really deserve the pitchforks if we wind up 5-7 again. INB4 the "there's still a lot of measurable improvement over the Riley years" comments. That pretty much shouldn't and doesn't matter in year 4; we're either a dumpster fire of a program or we're not. And 5-7 is dumpster fire-level by pretty much everybody's standards.

But again, there's so much football left to be played.

If we get to 6-6 than my pitchfork is still stowed away, I am eye balling it but not grabbing it.

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, soup said:

Aren't we being investigated for holding practice while covid was going on?  

• Plus1 1

I probably sound like a broken record, but a 5th year for the sake of a 5th year is dumb. He has to show progress this year (6-6 or better). Prove you can beat MSU with a 2nd year coach and their entire roster turned over. Prove you can beat a Minnesota team down their bell cow RB. Prove you've built a better program than Brohm at Purdue. Prove you can beat Northwestern in what looks like a down year. Prove you can beat Iowa and (or) Wisconsin, something you've never done. Chances say we're gonna need 3 of those. If we can't get 3 of those with a 4th year starter at QB and a veteran defense, the f#&% are we waiting around for?

• Thanks 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1
3 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

Aren't we being investigated for holding practice while covid was going on?  

Correct so technically we should have benefited as much as any team in the country from the covid year. haha 

1 minute ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I probably sound like a broken record, but a 5th year for the sake of a 5th year is dumb. He has to show progress this year (6-6 or better). Prove you can beat MSU with a 2nd year coach and their entire roster turned over. Prove you can beat a Minnesota team down their bell cow RB. Prove you've built a better program than Brohm at Purdue. Prove you can beat Northwestern in what looks like a down year. Prove you can beat Iowa and (or) Wisconsin, something you've never done. Chances say we're gonna need 3 of those. If we can't get 3 of those with a 4th year starter at QB and a veteran defense, the f#&% are we waiting around for?

for the rebuild Frantz, didnt you know? 

• Plus1 2

I'm in a holding pattern until later in the season on HCSF. We haven't really learned much these first three games IMHO. Sure, we beat up a lower end FCS school and a Mid American Conference team with a new first time head coach that had 16 players bale out when previous HC Lance Leipold left for Kansas. We lost to the only P5 school we've played that then went on to lose to UTSA and was demolished by UVA.

He can still turn it around but if this season ends like the last 3 I'm really scared what it will do to recruiting. We are already rated last in the B1G and 10th in ave. star rating. And now we are routinely loosing a lot of the top talent in the state. I fear with another lackluster season things will only get worse next year and do damage to the program for years in the future. You can probably recover from one lower rated class but two or more is going to make life very difficult for HCSF or whoever is coaching the team.

• Plus1 3
46 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

What blood blood program (with a 4th year coach who hasn't even gone .500) - goes 2-5 against Illinois, NW, Purdue, MSU, Minny, Iowa, Wisconsin - and says, "Yeah, let's run that s#!t back with a green QB and a young defense"

Exactly, if Frost is going to turn it around it is this year. You literally have zero excuses. Win more than you lose or burn it to the ground and bring in a new staff. It is really all up to the results on the field the rest of the season. No more excuses no more we were so closes etc. Put up or shut up. 

• Plus1 3