Remember when games like this would cause sleepless nights?

Husker4Real

I’m old enough to remember how loooonnnnnggg the week leading up to a game against a top 10 opponent would seem. I remember the anxious days leading up to those critical games against OU.  I literally couldn’t sleep the night before.

Tonight - I will sleep well.  I know Nebraska has almost no chance to win.  I know Nebraska has very little chance to compete and have a respectable showing.  I’ll watch the  game, hoping that maybe we’ll see something that provides some optimism for the rest of the season, but expecting an embarrassing blowout.  

Sigh…

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

I was reading an article today about some past games, including '86 which might have been the biggest gut punch in the whole series. I still remember how I felt that evening, like I could have melted down a truck by just staring at it.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm not crazy for actually wishing it was like that again.

I guess that is the silver lining. The fans don’t get quite so hyped up and nervous. I still anticipate the games and, for unknown reasons, get my hopes up but I did sleep well last night. Here’s hoping for a miracle or at least looking like we belong on a football field instead of a ring at the circus.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
5 hours ago, CheeseHusker said:

I was reading an article today about some past games, including '86 which might have been the biggest gut punch in the whole series. I still remember how I felt that evening, like I could have melted down a truck by just staring at it.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm not crazy for actually wishing it was like that again.

I sometimes like to believe I've matured since those day. But, man, I miss having that level of passion for the games.

• Fire 1

10 minutes ago, Tom Brokejaw said:

I remember a whole decade where I couldn't even pick up the Sunday paper from the porch if we lost on Saturday.  It ruined my week until Wednesday or so when the next game took focus.  

Glad I am over that, but I'd still like to have reason for a little bit of that attitude.

LOL...I was exactly the same way.  I couldn't read the sports page or watch ESPN or other highlight shows until they turned attention to the next week.