*** Official Oklahoma Game Thread ***

Mavric

23 minutes ago, knapplc said:

That second PF call against Jurgens was a load of crap. I hope Cam keeps playing tough like that all year.

The first one was too.  IIR he pancaked his man and continued to the whistle.  If he let's the guy up and something happens where his man gets back in the play, like a turnover, he's not doing his job.  

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

Frost should have pulled jurgens out of game after second costly penalty so players see that there are consequences for their mistakes. 

The day a head coach pulls a starting O lineman who is 30 yards downfield still controlling his opponent and ends up pancaking him is the day we need to quit playing football. That was a flag that should have never been thrown.

• Plus1 8
Just now, TonyStalloni said:

We can always count on fat a$$ Sam to inject his self serving opinions.

Though I think some reporters (Dirk) get their own feelings in their reporting and stories, his point is legitimate. A lot of self-inflicted problems caused by an inconsistent line. Some great sequences where they gave Adrian all day, unfortunately a lot of plays where they didn't look good collectively. 

2 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Though I think some reporters (Dirk) get their own feelings in their reporting and stories, his point is legitimate. A lot of self-inflicted problems caused by an inconsistent line. Some great sequences where they gave Adrian all day, unfortunately a lot of plays where they didn't look good collectively. 

Dirk is a columnist, not a reporter. There is a difference.  Dirk is supposed to put his own opinions and feelings into his columns. Sam is a reporter, and reports on facts and his observations. 

30 minutes ago, TonyStalloni said:

The day a head coach pulls a starting O lineman who is 30 yards downfield still controlling his opponent and ends up pancaking him is the day we need to quit playing football. That was a flag that should have never been thrown.

The flag was thrown because he pushed the opponent down after the play was dead. You have to play smart when you are up against superior competition and making mental mistakes like this kills drives. On first drive, he got a 15 yard penalty that set us back. He also had several false start penalties in this season and personal fouls. If we do not have a good replacement in our depth chart then I understand. Otherwise, Jurgens should have been pulled out for a series to settle down and be talked to. Penalties are killing us in every game. If we keep blaming the refs and not taking responsibility for our lack of discipline, we will not turn that corner. Today’s game showed us we can compete with top 10 teams but also showed us that our weaknesses keep holding us back. I loved JURGENS effort on that play but he is seasoned enough to know that throwing the opponent down after the play will draw a flag. We should not ruin a good effort by committing a silly foul. That is what is holding us back.

34 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Dirk is a columnist, not a reporter. There is a difference.  Dirk is supposed to put his own opinions and feelings into his columns. Sam is a reporter, and reports on facts and his observations. 

That may be the official titles, but Dirk was a key figure in getting facts misconstrued and have media/fans swayed on Husker coaches. There is a reason that Pelini and the players during that era were/are very skeptical of him. Journalists, reporters and columnists are all generally viewed as equal terms from the average fan or reader’s perspective. 

Just now, Wistrom Disciple said:

That may be the official titles, but Dirk was a key figure in getting media/fans swayed on Husker coaches. There is a reason that Pelini and the players during that era were/are very skeptical of him. Journalists, reporters and columnists are all generally viewed as equal terms from the average fan or reader’s perspective. 

Yeah, I understand that all of the journalists are treated the same by the average reader, but people need to understand the difference between columnists and reporters. 

3 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I agree that Martinez played a really strong game and has put together a couple really great games.  Kudos to him,

With that said, anyone complaining about the special teams coach or the O-line coach needs to realize these are the guys Frost has selected to be a part of HIS staff in his 4 year as head coach.  His chances to right-size this staff should have happened at the end of Year 2 and 3.  Fans should not continue to see a complete lack of player discipline and coaching competence in the 4th year, and ultimately the fate of this program all ties back to the head coach who is currently Scott Frost.

You said the same thing earlier in the thread, and I'm going to respond with the same: the reason there were no staff changes to this point is because Moos didn't force his hand, plus everyone got a pass due to the Covid situation. After this season, I assure you that Trev will force Frost to make some staff changes, whether he wants to or not.

• Plus1 2
13 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

You said the same thing earlier in the thread, and I'm going to respond with the same: the reason there were no staff changes to this point is because Moos didn't force his hand, plus everyone got a pass due to the Covid situation. After this season, I assure you that Trev will force Frost to make some staff changes, whether he wants to or not.

I’m not so sure that is a wise practice unless the coach is causing legal issues, breaking rules, etc. I believe the AD and administrator need to trust their coaches to staff to the best of their abilities. 

That said, I’m sure Trev and Scott will evaluate everything as the year goes on and at season’s end.