*** Official Oklahoma Game Thread ***

Mavric

1 minute ago, C-4 said:

I’m dumbfounded by how bad our OL is in all our games, whether it’s Oklahoma or Illinois. Most of these guys seemed like great prospects: Corcoran, Jurgens, and Benhart in particular; and Piper seemed super solid with a lot of strength and awareness.

I know all 5 besides Jurgens are young and most are inexperienced, but their issues go beyond inexperience. They play soft and without intelligence. Being tough and smart is the definition of a good OL. What the hell happened with their development in these two areas?

Also, he may have a Steinkhuler mentality to the idea, but I wonder if the Polar Bear would be open to moving to be a long term OG? We have no good long-term prospects there, and we need a nasty fighter at OG.

Piper should never play another down for the scarlet & cream

5 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

Frost should have pulled jurgens out of game after second costly penalty so players see that there are consequences for their mistakes. 

Not sure the love affair with Jurgens. My guess is that he is the center and has lots of responsibility and AM is used to him. Whoever is the center with Smothers I hope it is much better. Sense he’s reluctant to pull a position of such importance because Jurgens should have been pulled plenty of times and is a liability costing us penalties, loss of yards, drive killers, and turnovers.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

Based on this game, our biggest weaknesses are the unspecial teams and our OL. When Martinez is given time, he makes great throws but he is rushed 90% of the time. This game ends 23-21 Nebraska win if we score our two field kicks and point after that turned into two points for OU. We were our worst enemy in this game. Obviously not a talent issue but a coaching issue. Frost needs to hire a dedicated special teams coach and I mean a top notch coach and fire our OL coach. 

2 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

Not sure the love affair with Jurgens. My guess is that he is the center and has lots of responsibility and AM is used to him. Whoever is the center with Smothers I hope it is much better. The just sense he’s reluctant to pull a position of such importance because Jurgens should have been pulled plenty of times and is a liability costing us penalties, loss of yards, drive killers, and turnovers.

I'm fine with his penalties the last shouldn't have even been called, and the first was questionable too. I want mean mast offensive linemen. He a decent center, better than we've had in awhile. He's not the problem on the line.

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Good effort Boys.  Special teams cost the team the win unfortunately.  9 point difference if ST’s actually make the basic plays.  
3 on the missed field goal.

3 on the Extra point 

mans 3 when we had to go for it on 4 and 18 instead of being able to kick.  

Add 3 on the 50+ harder that hit the goalpost too.  Can't make them all but damn

10 minutes ago, C-4 said:

I’m dumbfounded by how bad our OL is in all our games, whether it’s Oklahoma or Illinois. Most of these guys seemed like great prospects: Corcoran, Jurgens, and Benhart in particular; and Piper seemed super solid with a lot of strength and awareness.

I know all 5 besides Jurgens are young and most are inexperienced, but their issues go beyond inexperience. They play soft and without intelligence. Being tough and smart is the definition of a good OL. What the hell happened with their development in these two areas?

Also, he may have a Steinkhuler mentality to the idea, but I wonder if the Polar Bear would be open to moving to be a long term OG? We have no good long-term prospects there, and we need a nasty fighter at OG.

It’s a direct by product of having a MAC level coach in the big 10 who’s in over his head