Oklahoma: What did we learn?

The game was much closer than I expected but it is lack of discipline and execution that cost us. The defense had a good game plan and played well. We need a better pass rush to close out the QB. 

The OL and ST are obviously weak links. I like how we have recruited on the OL but we have coached poorly and a position group that MUST be a strength is a liability. Someone mentioned Snyder’s kid as ST coach, do it now. ST needs a major spark and it is absolutely killing us. Not only the missed kicks but nothing on kick and punt returns to give us momentum. We often start in a hole due to this.

Our offense is what it is. With poor OL play AM does what he can. Losing Wandale and McCaffrey set us backwards no doubt. No back has emerged as a stud workhorse to make explosive plays out of run or short pass game. 

Defense has improved. I think OU thought they could make explosive plays and we did not let that happen. That was a win as I certainly expected OU to rip off some highlights on offense. The defense looks way more disciplined and cohesive than the offense. CTB is freelancing and can cost us at times. Send him on a blitz if we need to get his energy on the field. I would like to see some more blitzing.

We have some talent but continue to play sloppy at critical times. With our schedule that type of play will not get us to .500 and makes it hard to watch. It’s a crapshoot because there are games where it will fall apart, other games it can come together, and plenty of games where we lose/had chance to win but lack of discipline in the small things cost us. OU can recover from a sloppy game and still win, we cannot at this point.

• Plus1 2

22 minutes ago, mwj98 said:

Not gonna bash frost. A minute left. Zero protection. What do you expect with a minute left, zero timeouts and a porous OL. I say we stick with him but change coaches at OL and get a kicker. What scares me is this, a lot of guys on defense are super seniors. 

Stille, JoJo, Williams, Dismuke (if I'm not missing any starters).

I've watched all the games but it doesn't seem JoJo and the safeties are near the plays as much as they have been. Which of course can mean they're being schemed away from. 

Can anyone give insight on how those three are actually doing this year?

Only disappointed in the defense inability to get off the field in OUs final drive, had so much momentum at that point. But oh well, that unit played its a$$ off! As mentioned, a few plays here and there - if Braxton Clark could have picked the deep ball and prevented their last score. 

The youth of the offensive line is one thing, but the lack of discipline is greatly holding this offense back. That was a BS penalty on Jurgens in the second half, the first half penalty I don’t quite fully understand. Not arguing the call either. 

Hoping these last 3 weeks sign’s of improvement will continue. Hard to really be a downer after a performance like that but the only way this is a moral victory is if they get better, go to Lansing and bring back the W next week. It’ll most likely be against a ranked opponent. 

Please please please fix the placekicker issue. This is just terrible. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, SECHusker said:

-If Austin didn't have two guys drafted last year, I'd say 'leave his fat a$$ in Norman.'

-Piper cost us yet again. Him getting bulldozed on that extra point turned the tide is the game, and reflects his play all year.

-Culp mentally may never recover from this.

-THE DEFENSE HAS NOTHING TO BE ASHAMED OF!!!??

-Also, if Rahmir is your guy, why hasn't he started all year?

Don't let those 2 being drafted stop you. I'm convinced they got drafted in spite of their inept coaching.

• Plus1 2

Greg Austin has been given many chances to improve the OL and he has failed miserably. Looking back at our performances, the OL has been one of our weakest links. Austin needs to be replaced. Also Dawson knows as much about coaching special teams as I know ancient Samarian. It is time for Frost to finally start making some much needed coaching changes if he is to remain at the helm.

• Plus1 1

II know I have said this before, but I don't know what the coaches can do about missed FG's. Either the kicker makes it or he doesn't.

Now, on the blocked PAT, there was very poor blocking. But Frost went to the backup kicker, like many have asked him to.

Maybe Frost is getting bad karma for making fun of kickers or something, but the FG kicking is an ultimate scratch my head moment this year.

EDIT: The one thing about the poor FG kicking is that it somewhat points to an overall lack of emphasis on special teams. It is frustrating that there is a lack of ST coordinator.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, NebraskaHarry said:

Who's this turd? Discipline is fine. Nebraska came out agressive right away and Jurgens led the charge. It set the tone of not letting Oklahoma push Nebraska around. We didnt see those issues as the game went on. The problem is special teams and the O line. Need better coaching there if that's what this Jake means. If it's about discipline and Frost, he's talking out his @$$. 

Probably not the best argument for discipline by saying the guy who had 2 15 yard penalties was "leading the charge".

• Plus1 3

Best four quarters of football in the Frost era. 

I know there's a lot of s#!tting on the coaches and team for mistakes, but the playcalling, schemes, and confidence were on display against the #3 team on the road -- on national tv -- every quarter, with Nebraska having the ball trailing by 7 with :57 to go. I can't possibly fault Frost or Martinez for not pulling off that miracle, because it's pretty easy for a good team to defend. (fwiw....the 1971 Game of the Century ended much the same way).

Bad calls went both ways, and Nebraska hung with Oklahoma without getting a single turnover.

Stupid OL mistakes, but ultimately not bad OL play, given Adrian's numbers and an effective if not dazzling running game. 

A rare game where both offense and defense played well enough to win . That leaves only special teams and I think that's covered in this thread. 

If I came in cold and watched this game looking for my new quarterback, I'd take Adrian Martinez over Spencer Rattler.  

I see some b!^@hing about individual plays and old patterns, but there's a helluva lot to build off this game.

It's not hard to imagine a letdown against some of the lesser teams on our schedule, but we'll see when we play those games.

In the meantime let's just run with the fact that Nebraska exceeded virtually everyone's expectations. 

• Plus1 6
  • Fire 2
1 hour ago, DefenderAO said:

GOOD

- Martinez balled out.  Maybe the best game of his career given the circumstance

- The Defense played well; we really needed an earlier stop on OU's last drive.

- Linebackers played particularly well today.  Good pass coverage from the secondary

-  Rahmir was a bright spot.  Absolutely GREAT to see Betts and Manning.  Screw practice...these guys are gamers.

BAD

- Our Special Teams is the worst collective group I have ever seen in college.  Not just NU's worst...the worst of any program I have ever watched.

- Greg Austin is a complete bum.  He cannot coach and our O Line was pretty poor at picking up any type of stunt or blitz

- Our one minute offense is bad.  Like we were shocked to have a chance to tie it...and threw up on ourselves.

- Losing Ervin...I hope the kid gets well soon.

Overall I'm proud of the team.  We HAVE TO beat MSU to legitimize this performance today.

Can't agree more on the Austin front. Every game seems, more and more, to show how bad he is at getting his guys prepped.

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Best four quarters of football in the Frost era. 

I know there's a lot of s#!tting on the coaches and team for mistakes, but the playcalling, schemes, and confidence were on display against the #3 team on the road -- on national tv -- every quarter, with Nebraska having the ball trailing by 7 with :57 to go. I can't possibly fault Frost or Martinez for not pulling off that miracle, because it's pretty easy for a good team to defend. (fwiw....the 1971 Game of the Century ended much the same way).

Bad calls went both ways, and Nebraska hung with Oklahoma without getting a single turnover.

Stupid OL mistakes, but ultimately not bad OL play, given Adrian's numbers and an effective if not dazzling running game. 

A rare game where both offense and defense played well enough to win . That leaves only special teams and I think that's covered in this thread. 

If I came in cold and watched this game looking for my new quarterback, I'd take Adrian Martinez over Spencer Rattler.  

I see some b!^@hing about individual plays and old patterns, but there's a helluva lot to build off this game.

It's not hard to imagine a letdown against some of the lesser teams on our schedule, but we'll see when we play those games.

In the meantime let's just run with the fact that Nebraska exceeded virtually everyone's expectations. 

Man I hope you are right.  A maddening game in some ways but as a whole you can't argue with the results as far as I'm concerned.  I didn't think it would be a game in the 2nd half before hand. 

Martinez had the best game from a decision making standpoint in his career I thought today.  Wow.  He looked like a pro today and was hitting/finding guys .  Making smart decisions.  Putting the ball in really good places.  I don't count the 4th down ok we're going for it int.  Can we look forward to this Adrian Martinez the rest of the season?

The o line.  Penalties and sacks aside...they were able to give Martinez some time at times also and were opening up some run lanes against a pretty stoud OU defense.  But the mistakes...  Can this line build off the good things they did at times but also clean up the mistakes???

Nebraska special teams is in full on crisis mode.  Will this ever truly be addressed by Frost?  

D played great today.  Just hoping they can keep it up as we get into the thick of the B1G schedule.