Oklahoma: What did we learn?

I just think we saw the limitations of the team and coaches as they come into a game as fired up and confident as they could ever be.  It might as well have been a bowl game they were prepared and ready for.  And they lost a game full of their mistakes that they well could have won with fewer of those mistakes.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

Impressed with how tough our guys played, especially Adrian but I'm not sure we're ever going to move on from this 'comedy of errors' we see every game.

God dammit coach, ya can’t be giving up

hope like this, at least not publicly. Ya fought hard today. Unfortunately, you, and the rest of us have been duped by a former all conf kicker and a homeless bum masquerading as our offensive line coach. 

• Plus1 1

Notable mistakes:  Both teams with 70 yards in penalties, but Oklahoma can garner all the penalties they want I guess.. but ours lose us games.  And our our kicker, my gawd.. what?  Two of those kickers... we lost points that would have taken us in a whole different direction in that game.  Our D did amazing for what they were up against.

• Plus1 1

I am hoping the stretching of the field with our WR continue.

I liked the chip that the OL played with today, obviously they are not at the point where they can play fired up and not commit mistakes.

Desperately need an edge rusher, 44 is not bad but he gets locked up a lot.

Liked 14, ran with some steam at points.

All in all, it's far more than I expected but they NEED to follow it up against MSU...otherwise it's just an abnormality 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

We learned that NU is capable of playing well - at times, and in certain aspects of the game.  The offense moved the ball better than I thought they would.  The defense slowed OU down more than I thought they would.

We also learned that NU Special Teams continue to be an abomination.  It is mind-boggling how this aspect of the team can lose so many games.  Why can’t they fix it?  

We also learned that the Illinois loss is going to be a dark cloud that hovers over the entire season.  NU will struggle to get 4 more wins and bowl eligibility.  I’m afraid they will win 3 more…

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, DefenderAO said:

-  Rahmir was a bright spot. 

I was surprised to see him at the start. Toward the end of fall camp, Frost said it was a 4-way competition, but everything I'd heard made it sound like Johnson was a distant 4th.

It's awesome how effective Johnson was today. He only averaged 3.8 YPC but we was really well-utilized by the staff. His number got called because of his speed and it worked.

If you didn't get chills on the bomb to Betts or the 21 yard TD pass to Manning, you gotta check your pulse, cuz you dead. Those plays were so awesome.

We were three kicks away from beating a Top 5 team on the road. I have been screaming "SPECIAL TEAMS!" since the middle of 2019. There are improvements in some areas but we have to be there in all phases.

• Plus1 4
1 minute ago, Toe said:

I was surprised to see him at the start. Toward the end of fall camp, Frost said it was a 4-way competition, but everything I'd heard made it sound like Johnson was a distant 4th.

I am not sure what's going on with the RB room, other than the guy who practices the best each week gets the majority of the touches. Rahmir did play well. It will be interesting to see what happens down the road. It sucked to see what happened with Ervin. 

Oh...and that route that Vokolek ran in the 3rd quarter and the way Adrian sets up that play. That is what you build on.

I don't give a s*** how good Michigan State is playing right now; if we bring this set of plays and energy we brought today against them we'll win by two scores.

It is almost hilarious how good our offense can actually be when you have receivers ready to go for games like Toure, Manning, Betts, Martin, etc. We were missing this so much in 2019 & 2020 that it boggles the mind.

Nobody would have thought that Martinez throws for 76%, 289 yards and a passing TD in this game preseason. Including me. Huge props to him.

• Plus1 8
2 minutes ago, Undone said:

Oh...and that route that Vokolek ran in the 3rd quarter and the way Adrian sets up that play. That is what you build on.

I don't give a s*** how good Michigan State is playing right now; if we bring this set of plays and energy we brought today against them we'll win by two scores.

It is almost hilarious how good our offense can actually be when you have receivers ready to go for games like Toure, Manning, Betts, Martin, etc. We were missing this so much in 2019 & 2020 that it boggles the mind.

Frost did a good job staying patient with those play calls and then sprung them at the right moment.

Michigan State will be a test next week, and it's important for NU to take good things out of this week and build on it. 

So would you say that this could have been called for offensive pass interference by Oklahoma on this one?

Blindside block where the contact arguably comes just a split second before the receiver touches the ball. Really pisses me off. Probably could have been called for just a blindside block.

*Edit: @ColoradoHusk points out the reception was behind the LoS. In my rage I guess I didn't realize that, LOL. 

Totall bull**** what we got called for against Buffalo. Yes, I'm still bitter about it.

• Haha 1