Oklahoma: What did we learn?

1 minute ago, Undone said:

So would you say that this could have been called for offensive pass interference by Oklahoma on this one?

Blindside block where the contact arguably comes just a split second before the receiver touches the ball. Really pisses me off. Probably could have been called for just a blindside block.

Totall bull**** what we got called for against Buffalo. Yes, I'm still bitter about it.

IMO, it's not a OPI because the pass was caught behind the LOS, but it should have been a penalty for a peel back, blind side block which should have been a personal foul. 

3 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Frost has succeeded at brining in talent but failed miserably at bringing in competent coaching. Frost now has an uphill battle to finish above .500 this season which is what I believe he needs to do to get a 5th year. The remaining schedule is brutal and I am not sure there is a single remaining game on the schedule where Nebraska would be considered a clear favorite.  I am seeing a 4-8 finish on the season which should make it easier for Trev to move in a new direction.

So after playing the #3 team in country and beside Ohio St away more talented team then anybody else on our schedule to a 7 point game  you see 4-8 . I think if we play this hard and clean up a couple penalty we can play and beat anybody left on the schedule .

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2

I waited awhile to comment as the negatives always seem to overshadow the positives for me.

The team overall played better than I expected and really about as good as any of us could hope for. Defense was solid and kept us in it the whole way. I thought 2AM played very well. One INT that was a helluva athletic play by the OU player. Played to within 7 points of the number 3 team. Nobody here would’ve turned down this result before the game. That is a sign of progress.

Now for the bad.

Pull Culp’s scholly and get him a bus ticket pronto. In fact, the ST “coach” can get on the same bus. This team should not attempt a FG or PAT the rest of this season. I am not kidding. Go for a 2 point conversion every time and on 4th downs either go for it or punt. Our placekicking is an absolute disaster that is causing way more harm than good.

While we’re buying tickets, goodbye coach Austin. OL play is not anywhere near where it should be at this point and the unforced penalties are a senseless nightmare. A few aggression penalties, fine but starting a game with two procedure calls…I….I….there aren’t words and definitely no excuses. Ridamndiculous.  

Frost needs a shrink. He is the biggest limiting factor in this team’s progress. He plays tight and afraid, the opposite if what he is apparently preaching to the team. The last series was just sad. A couple sacks, a completion in the middle of the field? Makes ya wonder if Frost has any clue how to do this. Every other team throws to the sidelines, gets out of bounds and knows not to take sacks. The team had a chance (be it slim) but that last series of play calling and QB decisions assured NU didn’t shock the CFB world.

Pleased with the end result (and that’s saying a bunch) but I really feel this team could've got the W today if it weren’t for penalties, special teams, kicking and a bit of a HC choke job at the end.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, JJ Husker said:

I waited awhile to comment as the negatives always seem to overshadow the positives for me.

The team overall played better than I expected and really about as good as any of us could hope for. Defense was solid and kept us in it the whole way. I thought 2AM played very well. One INT that was a helluva athletic play by the OU player. Played to within 7 points of the number 3 team. Nobody here would’ve turned down this result before the game. That is a sign of progress.

Now for the bad.

Pull Culp’s scholly and get him a bus ticket pronto. In fact, the ST “coach” can get on the same bus. This team should not attempt a FG or PAT the rest of this season. I am not kidding. Go for a 2 point conversion every time and on 4th downs either go for it or punt. Our placekicking is an absolute disaster that is causing way more harm than good.

While we’re buying tickets, goodbye coach Austin. OL play is not anywhere near where it should be at this point and the unforced penalties are a senseless nightmare. A few aggression penalties, fine but starting a game with two procedure calls…I….I….there aren’t words and definitely no excuses. Ridamndiculous.  

Frost needs a shrink. He is the biggest limiting factor in this team’s progress. He plays tight and afraid, the opposite if what he is apparently preaching to the team. The last series was just sad. A couple sacks, a completion in the middle of the field? Makes ya wonder if Frost has any clue how to do this. Every other team throws to the sidelines, gets out of bounds and knows not to take sacks. The team had a chance (be it slim) but that last series of play calling and QB decisions assured NU didn’t shock the CFB world.

Pleased with the end result (and that’s saying a bunch) but I really feel this team could've got the W today if it weren’t for penalties, special teams, kicking and a bit of a HC choke job at the end.

Disagree that there was a HC choke job at the end. How is it a HC choke job when all 5 linemen whiff on the first down of the possession. 

• Plus1 4

If Culp hits his kicks we win this game.

The more I see out of this season the more I love Frost's playbook, use of tight ends, and using play action at the right moments. I'm not sure if this "a thing" but another thing I saw today was almost like a pass play counter, where it looks like Martinez is intentionally bringing his body and pump fake to one direction, pivoting and coming back the other way, and then throwing to the other side of the field.

Bring out the whole damn playbook against the Spartans and we win that one.

• Plus1 5

IMO:

OU is a great team but not a legit #3 right now.  
OU’s offensive game plan was not good.  They tried to run too much.  They were very good in. The pass game.

Expected the Huskers to get blown out today.  The defense kept us in the game.
Huskers special teams are very bad.  Culp was good last year but bad this year.  Coaches should be working with mind and look at getting a different holder.

Our offense is still weak.  They cannot play a ball control game with much consistency and help the team (defense).  I think the coaches need to study  our game videos-  OU defense seemed to always be in the right place every play.  The plays or the play calling must be showing a “tell” or predictable tendencies.  I felt our play calling on 1st down was usually run up the center for little gain.  We wind up trying to make 1st downs with only 2nd, 3rd and 4th downs too often.  There are too many sideline passes- probably because it’s expected that OL won’t hold up the rush.  They need to play downfield ball sending some receivers deep to clear out under.  If they put a spy on Martinez, someone should be open.

Martinez runs for many yards but I don’t like his decisions on the end of the runs- juking the wrong way, running to the sideline to avoid the hit instead of getting more yards straight ahead, and sliding down a yard short of a 1st down.
Our offensive line is not consistent- don’t seem to handle blitzes or stunts well.  The OL stills makes too many self inflicted problems.  

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Disagree that there was a HC choke job at the end. How is it a HC choke job when all 5 linemen whiff on the first down of the possession. 

Who has been coaching those linemen and QB for the last 4 years?
I agree the OL has been very deficient and was exceptionally so in that situation but the buck has to stop somewhere. We can’t keep making excuses and throwing players under the bus. IMO Frost is responsible for what they do and don’t do.

Maybe nothing offensively will work when the OL is a sieve but it looked to me like a couple called pocket pass plays. I think if we have any strength it is to get 2AM out of the pocket and give him a chance to make a throw or a play with his feet, to a sideline and stop the clock. But yeah I also agree, with no contribution from the OL probably nothing works. Who is Austin’s boss?

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, irafreak said:

What kills me is how our coach can be so bad at understanding situations. Down 7 with a minute and the ball...ou is going to either come at you or drop and hope the clock burns out. At this point, you have to know what your team's strengths and weaknesses are and how the rest of the game has gone. The oline is just a mess. Roll out the qb. This helps against an all out blitz and gives him the option to scramble for 10 or 15 and get out of bounds if they play prevent. Either way ot ensures you don't take a sack in bounds and ruin the whole thing right away. Sigh...

If you know your NU vs OU history, this is THE place to pull out the Hook & Ladder (Omar to a trailing Betts). I remember OU tearing out our heart in a similar game ending situation & it would have been sweet to have that as payback.