Oklahoma: What did we learn?

4 hours ago, mwj98 said:

Not gonna bash frost. A minute left. Zero protection. What do you expect with a minute left, zero timeouts and a porous OL. I say we stick with him but change coaches at OL and get a kicker. What scares me is this, a lot of guys on defense are super seniors. 

Exactly - and this year's recruiting class is NOT good. We can't afford to "skip" a year when it comes to recruiting, but it looks like we've done just that, which will set us back even more in the long run.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Exactly - and this year's recruiting class is NOT good. We can't afford to "skip" a year when it comes to recruiting, but it looks like we've done just that, which will set us back even more in the long run.

It will a bit but because of covid it won’t be as bad given the extra year. We still have “freshman” on the o line even tho it’s year 3

• Plus1 1

I learned:

1 OU is not the 3rd best team in the nation 

2 Nebraska isn't as bad as most of us have been complaining about (sound a bit like Tom Osborne talking to then MSU coach Nick Saban - look up the quote)

3 AM has big shoulders.  He needs more help.  He played one of his best games yet as a Husker. 

4 Manning and Betts can be great along wt Toure.  Combine that with the passes to the TEs and this offense has great potential

5 The potential is there IF the OL gives AM time to throw.  But it rarely does

6 The running game is still non-existent -  We have talent at RB but it is wasted talent if the OL can't block effectively.

7 Austin needs to be shown the door - see # 5&6

8 Having Dawson coach the ST isn't working.  I fail to see the connection of the preseason talk about the intense work they are putting on in ST practice and what I see on the field.  

9 Line backers are playing well.  Relieve Dawson of ST coaching and let him concentrate on the LB.   Get rid of Coach V and hire a dedicated ST coach who can recruit well - Sean Snider (I believe that is his first name) needs to be on a one way ticket ride to Lincoln Monday morning. 

10  Frost can complain all he wants about the circus of mistakes and if it is going to end, but ultimately it is on him. The team is undisciplined and that is the result of coaching. 

11 The D looks like the real deal. Proud of how they played.  They played well enough to win.  My concern is for next year when we have to replace all of those super seniors.  But that is a worry for another day (Matt 6:34)

12  I don't believe in moral victories- but hopefully the team can build on this and have some confidence going into MSU next week. 

• Plus1 2

11 minutes ago, Husker Richard said:

Yep. If Omar is an "NFL guy" you absolutely take your chances on a 50/50 ball. Give your playmakers a chance to make plays. 

Yup, I think offensively we have turned a bit of a corner were dudes are starting to show play potential from start to finish....just need a little more trust in that. But I also get the, "stay on course" approach. That's the thing here, our staff has yet to get to a "trust" phase with players...vicious cycle

7 minutes ago, Redux said:

Actually looking forward to playing Sparty now.  This wasn't the same team that lost to Illinois.

They have gotten better since that s#!t show. Actually…that’s just what happens when a one trick pony (aka Martinez as the offense) plays bad. And you have a terrible OL. 

1 hour ago, Undone said:

Oh...and that route that Vokolek ran in the 3rd quarter and the way Adrian sets up that play. That is what you build on.

I don't give a s*** how good Michigan State is playing right now; if we bring this set of plays and energy we brought today against them we'll win by two scores.

It is almost hilarious how good our offense can actually be when you have receivers ready to go for games like Toure, Manning, Betts, Martin, etc. We were missing this so much in 2019 & 2020 that it boggles the mind.

Nobody would have thought that Martinez throws for 76%, 289 yards and a passing TD in this game preseason. Including me. Huge props to him.

My head is telling me this, but my heart is telling me to prepare for a letdown. We don't need a close game or another moral victory; we need to WIN.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cornfed said:

Pregame: “we’re going to get smoked by 50” 

Postgame: “we lost by 7.. we suck” 

I know we have some serious O line and special teams issues but if that game doesn’t give you a bit of pride and hope then you’re tainted. 

It does give us hope. I still feel like this is year 3 for frost. He has a long way to go though. He needs a dedicated oc and st coach.

43 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I’m hoping this gives AM confidence that he can throw more 50/50 balls to Manning and Betts instead of holding the ball a bit too long by moving off of them as an option too quick.  

30 minutes ago, Husker Richard said:

Yep. If Omar is an "NFL guy" you absolutely take your chances on a 50/50 ball. Give your playmakers a chance to make plays. 

Worth remembering that in the last couple seasons, he hasn't exactly had receivers that you'd wanna be throwing 50/50 balls to...

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1