Oklahoma: What did we learn?

1 hour ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

After watching MSU take care of Miami pretty easily today I have a feeling next week in East Lansing may actually be a tougher game to win than what we saw today. MSU is playing good ball.

I agree with you.  MSU has looked sharp thus far this season and I would expect them to be ranked in the next poll.  With that said, I am not sure how good Miami or Northwestern really are this year so we will find out.  Nebraska certainly has the talent to beat any team in the BIG this season but they have struggled to find ways to win the close games.  

• Plus1 1

12 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I just want to know why we brought in Stepp at this point. 

No clue. The weakest part of his game right now is probably pass pro, and that's a big deal, but IMO not a big enough deal to completely sideline him after he had a 100 yard game this season. I don't think he had a single snap today. So maybe something else is happening there.

This staff seems to really ride or die the 'who practiced the best this week' mentality with the RB group. I don't have a huge problem with that in theory, but I do have a problem with it when it's year four and they can't seem to find a dude. Either they can't find the right players or they can't coach them up when they get here, and at this point, I'm leaning towards the latter. We seem to have some really talented dudes in that group and I just refuse to believe it's a player problem after four years.

Just now, Decked said:

Rahmir looked pretty good today tbh. 

Very much agree. He ran with a purpose today and it seems like we saw what the coaches have said they've seen in him for some time.

But, I wouldn't be surprised if he disappears off the stat sheet next week, and that's what has me concerned about that position group. It feels like we could make an argument for someone new to start each week. Ervin's injury didn't look good, so now they'll be forced to whittle carries down further.

Side note to that - really bummed about Ervin. I haven't heard an update yet but that looked like it had all the makings of an ACL injury, and I thought Ervin was positioning himself to be one of the top two backs.

• Plus1 3
3 hours ago, Undone said:

I basically see where we're at like this: If we had beaten Illinois and then the next three games (meaning including this one) happened just the way they have, I'm pretty sure there'd be a sizable chunk of this board saying that we're good enough to actually challenge for the West title.

We still might be. If we get a decisive win in East Lansing next week we might just be on that course.

But the special teams problems have to evaporate. Like, completely evaporate starting next week if there's any chance.

I agree, but that's a pretty monumental caveat.  I'm honestly past the point of hoping they will challenge for the West.  Not that they are incapable, but this staff has to prove they can be retained as a first step.  I've seen positive signs the past 2 weeks, can they build off that, or will they regress to another Illinois type performance?  

2-0 the next two I'll start being optimistic again.  1-1 still leaves more questions than answers & 0-2 is big trouble.

34 minutes ago, Enhance said:

No clue. The weakest part of his game right now is probably pass pro, and that's a big deal, but IMO not a big enough deal to completely sideline him after he had a 100 yard game this season. I don't think he had a single snap today. So maybe something else is happening there.

This staff seems to really ride or die the 'who practiced the best this week' mentality with the RB group. I don't have a huge problem with that in theory, but I do have a problem with it when it's year four and they can't seem to find a dude. Either they can't find the right players or they can't coach them up when they get here, and at this point, I'm leaning towards the latter. We seem to have some really talented dudes in that group and I just refuse to believe it's a player problem after four years.

Our RB room is kinda of like the New England Patriot's room, without the production. :hmmph

2 hours ago, Undone said:

I almost have to do a double-take when the camera pans to Betts & Manning jogging back after a play is over with how much taller they are than the guys we've been used to like JD & Wan'Dale.

The other big thing I've noticed about Omar even going back to the spring game is his potential for yards after catch, too.

I also think that Toure was being locked down after OU had scoured the film of the first three games and this let other guys get open. Frost is pretty awesome with X's & O's; he just needs to get the special teams stuff cleaned up and he's got a football team.

I'm not use to anyone being that tall and wearing #15 for Nebraska.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I agree with you.  MSU has looked sharp thus far this season and I would expect them to be ranked in the next poll.  With that said, I am not sure how good Miami or Northwestern really are this year so we will find out.  Nebraska certainly has the talent to beat any team in the BIG this season but they have struggled to find ways to win the close games.  

MSU better than we thought, no doubt. They also just beat a Miami team that was questionable top 25 heading into today given they got embarrassed by Bama and barely beat app st… if we come out and play like we did today we’ll beat MSU, if we regress, which has been par for the course the past 4 years, we don’t 

1 hour ago, C-4 said:

Manning, Betts, Toure, Allen

That’s as good of a top 4 receiving group as I’ve ever seen at NU.

Ya this is probably the best crew we've ever had. Manning and Betts should have been more fully involved in the opener, could have made the difference. 

If we could give AM a clean pocket we'd be dangerous as hell. 

Frost’s post game presser gave me a lens to this game, and season.  What did I learn?

His comment on Culp - he has seen him succeed over and over (paraphrased). Culp only kicked  about a dozen FGs last year. Frost is referencing practice

Manning and Betts have routinely been on 2nd team or in DNP situations. Both made plays against NUs toughest opponent to date, maybe of the season. 

Frost needs to bag the practice schtick. I don’t care what he’s seen Culp do in practice. I don’t care what Manning and Betts don’t do in practice. We’re overdue to play the best talent available. Frost’s job  rides on it. Some talent are just gamers.  Some talent shine in practice. We need the former playing in the meaningful moments. I’ve seen too many “other” scenarios where the kid fails because he simply doesn’t have it. 

Stop the insanity. Play the best kids. And, as a coach, put them in the situations to maximize their talent and yield results. 

Today showed me some kids have it. And some love practice.  We’re 289-0 in practice. With zero bowl trips. 

Over. Due. 

• Oh Yeah! 1