Oklahoma: What did we learn?

9 hours ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Tough to be critical of the D in the grand scheme of things. However, if our DBs make a handful of tackles in space, Oklahoma might not sniff 10 points today. That’s a big ask with their athletes, but CTB had some chances to drop dudes on the outside for minimal gains, and instead gave up 7-10 yards. 

That right there is the difference between good and great. Not a bad postition to be in given where we've been in recent years

Not a lot to add after 13 pages. Much of this has probably been said by other people more eloquently.

- Nebraska has talent. Some skill position talent. Some secondary talent. Some D-line talent. This team should be good enough to make a bowl game with this personnel.

- Clearly the offensive line is a gaping, hemhorraging wound that requires immediate medical emergency attention. The question is, what can we do about it? Burn a redshirt or two and hope? The current situation here is untenable.

- We have a FG kicker with the yips and I don't know what to do about that either.

- I am disappointed to see the vitriol I have seen for Martinez. I think he is growing immensely as a game manager and is learning to make much better decisions, and his improvising is as good as ever. I'm not going to fault him too much for an absolutely horrid drive at the end of the game or an interception that really ended up being beneficial from a field position standpoint (and set up our next TD drive anyway).

- Apart from that freaky INT which really didn't matter much, we DID NOT TURN IT OVER.

- The team showed mental strength today, which was the most important thing I get out of this game. It shrugged off all those stupid penalties on the first drive to come away with points. Obviously we would all prefer that these mistakes don't happen, especially since they seem to be some kind of black plague we can't get rid of, but I didn't see the team drop their heads and quit like they've been prone to do.

- On that..... the team needs to CHANNEL this. They need to realize that they were capable of beating a top-five team on the road if just a small number of things went better. That needs to be carried through a very tough conference schedule. That effort needs to be the rule, not the exception. That's the hardest I think I've seen a Frost-coached team play. But....

- ...Oklahoma is probably a little bit overrated. I hope they aren't, but there wasn't a whole lot that impressed me. I'd love to think our defense is THAT good but I don't know yet. But I don't want that to diminish the good things that were accomplished. I think OU would have trouble in the B1G.

• Plus1 5
3 hours ago, CheeseHusker said:

Not a lot to add after 13 pages. Much of this has probably been said by other people more eloquently.

- Nebraska has talent. Some skill position talent. Some secondary talent. Some D-line talent. This team should be good enough to make a bowl game with this personnel.

- Clearly the offensive line is a gaping, hemhorraging wound that requires immediate medical emergency attention. The question is, what can we do about it? Burn a redshirt or two and hope? The current situation here is untenable.

- We have a FG kicker with the yips and I don't know what to do about that either.

- I am disappointed to see the vitriol I have seen for Martinez. I think he is growing immensely as a game manager and is learning to make much better decisions, and his improvising is as good as ever. I'm not going to fault him too much for an absolutely horrid drive at the end of the game or an interception that really ended up being beneficial from a field position standpoint (and set up our next TD drive anyway).

- Apart from that freaky INT which really didn't matter much, we DID NOT TURN IT OVER.

- The team showed mental strength today, which was the most important thing I get out of this game. It shrugged off all those stupid penalties on the first drive to come away with points. Obviously we would all prefer that these mistakes don't happen, especially since they seem to be some kind of black plague we can't get rid of, but I didn't see the team drop their heads and quit like they've been prone to do.

- On that..... the team needs to CHANNEL this. They need to realize that they were capable of beating a top-five team on the road if just a small number of things went better. That needs to be carried through a very tough conference schedule. That effort needs to be the rule, not the exception. That's the hardest I think I've seen a Frost-coached team play. But....

- ...Oklahoma is probably a little bit overrated. I hope they aren't, but there wasn't a whole lot that impressed me. I'd love to think our defense is THAT good but I don't know yet. But I don't want that to diminish the good things that were accomplished. I think OU would have trouble in the B1G.

“Not a lot to add…”

*Adds 7 paragraphs…

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 7

By my count I think the defense missed 3 INTs.  Jojo missed one, Braxton Clark dropped one and Reimer should have had one. If  Any of those were caught it would have been a completely different game.  The 1st missed field goal was also a game changer.  For how big Cocoran is, he isn't very tough.  Sichterman looked like he was playing with his eyes closed a few times.  The o line seems to help on guys that are easy and not pick up the guy they should.  On the play Cam got his second 15 yarder the ref should have shook his hand not thrown a flag.  Dude was 60 yards down field blocking 

• Plus1 1

Martinez played very well. His throws were accurate- he only missed 2 throws and the INT was fine. Situationally aware football, not a problem gambling deep near the endzone on 4th and 18. So I'm not counting that. 

Defense was as good as weve been saying and then some- 218 yards passing> that's outstanding. Would like to see a better pass rush. 

At receiver We have more than just Toure. Allen, Betts and even Manning played well. We have receivers. Unfortunately our offensive line, filled with 4 star players just isn't getting the job done.  Coaching change needed there. 

Special teams continues to be atrocious. The PAT block- one of our inside guys got steamrolled. On a kick return I think JOhnson- the ball was headed out of bounds- we would have got the ball on the 35- instead he fields it at the 4 and we start deep in our own end. Missed Field goals- yes you can coach kickers, there are things kickers do improperly that can be corrected with coaching and practice. Also there are methods to help them focus and better prepare mentally. We don't have a special teams coach- so no surprise that none of them have gone to the Kohls kicking camps or coaching sessions or understand how to coach the nuances of kicking. 

Coaching- all the stupid ill timed penalties continue to cripple this team. Four penalties on the first drive alone? That and special teams that look like some youtuber put together a complete season of keystone cops like bloopers on a compilation tape that instead just covered  a single Husker game. Our special teams is like some alternate universe Twilight Zone episode with a Groundhog Day type plot.  Poor special teams plays and lots of ill timed penalties are the symptoms of a poorly coached- poorly disciplined team. 

We still don't have a running game. Not much room for our backs- who do look pretty pedestrian. 85% of this is on our Oline.

OU isn't as good as advertised. Tulane took OU to the wire and got blasted by Ole Miss. This game is encouraging- but we need to finally close out one of these games and get a win. Must win at MSU this week. 

11 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I just want to know why we brought in Stepp at this point. 

And S Morrison set records in Tulsa High School. Now he has a hard time getting a yard.   Got to believe it is more on the OL. 
there is also a coaching issue if we can’t settle on one horse 

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

And S Morrison set records in Tulsa High School. Now he has a hard time getting a yard.   Got to believe it is more on the OL. 

Thats why you get a new OL and RB coach and let Frost Coach QBs so you can have a FT Special Teams Coordinator. I'd go with Bill Busch if he wants to move out of the analyst role. You also have a proven P5 RB coach as an analyst currently in Ron Brown. Just go spend big boy money on an OL coach. 

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Thats why you get a new OL and RB coach and let Frost Coach QBs so you can have a FT Special Teams Coordinator. I'd go with Bill Busch if he wants to move out of the analyst role. You also have a proven P5 RB coach as an analyst currently in Ron Brown. Just go spend big boy money on an OL coach. 

Add a true OC to the list 

30 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Right now, Johnson and Ervin are better runners for the style of zone blocking scheme that is being taught, whereas Stepp and Morrison would fit better in a man blocking scheme. 

• Haha 1