Oklahoma: What did we learn?

10 hours ago, DefenderAO said:

Frost needs to bag the practice schtick. I don’t care what he’s seen Culp do in practice. I don’t care what Manning and Betts don’t do in practice. We’re overdue to play the best talent available.

This times a 1000.  Frost needs to go a little more by the Jimmy Johnson model to an extent. 
He needs to have his talent on the field.  If he’s unhappy with practice habits, that’s up to the captains to sort out and fix.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

Maybe not deserving of its own post, and not sure if many caught it, but I LOVED seeing the old school option one way (yesterday it was right) where 2AM then steps back to throw as the D shifted. I remember Tom calling those plays in the mid 90’s at perfect times. Maybe once or twice a game. And Frazier was the master at executing it. That play brought back sweet memories of great days. 

i learned that what is now old can still work very well. 

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

If he’s unhappy with practice habits, that’s up to the captains to sort out and fix.  

That can be chancy.. complicated.  It would be interesting to know if the Husker team captains are taking care of that end of it.  It was the source of anxiety when Real Nice Guy Mike Riley left and things seemed to dwindled as to accountability on the practice fields and even in the gym.  That was a little while back, or course.  But.. just wondering.

11 hours ago, DefenderAO said:

Frost needs to bag the practice schtick.

I have no problem with how Frost has handled this. When he came in, he had to totally rebuild the culture. A huge part of that was what players were doing in the off season and at practice. That culture change had to come from the coaches. If a player wasn’t working hard, he should be benched. 

Now, you hope that ultimately that starts being policed by the captains and upper class men. But, still, if a player doesn’t give a shot in practice, there needs to be consequences. 

• Plus1 3

Oklahoma may be a bit overrated, but that's still okay, they are still very talented and still a very good Top 10 Team.  The Defense did a hell of a job yesterday, and you could tell they were ready to play, playing physical and fast and flying to the ball.  That was Blackshirt Defense and Attitude!!  Never quit all game and they deserve kudos.  The rest of the team didn't quit either after things went bad, that game could've unraveled but didn't.  I think that's huge in the mental aspect of where we are at as a team is at right now. Now we just need to build on it.

I will watch on replay but it sounds like the Offensive Line was better as the game progressed?? Pass Protection seemed to be pretty solid during the live viewing but I was still puking at how bad we are at Run Blocking.  We still need something that works in the Running Game to hang our hat on instead of having Adrian bail us out with his athletic ability.  Need to be able to rely on Bread and Butter running plays to stay ahead of the sticks, we have to stay out of 2nd and 12 or 3rd and 9s.  Or maybe part of the problem is that teams are just daring us to throw and blitzing like crazy against us to stop the Running Game, I'd have to go back and look to see.

Obviously everything and then some has been said about Special Teams, it will continue to be a circus until it gets fixed.  If we don't have a Kicker and we are in manageable, maybe the odds tell us just go for it on 4th Downs.

Regardless, glad of the effort yesterday, very proud of the performance on the Road.  Almost shocked the world, just need to build on it.  It could have unraveled but didn't and there was fight throughout.  But now the "real" season starts, and I think Michigan State is a must-win game if we want to go bowling.  We just need more discipline, develop a solid Running Game that will help Play-Action pass, maybe find a Kicker and just let the Defense keep doing what it's doing and we should go bowling at least.  Damn that loss to Illinois still!!!

31 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I have no problem with how artist has handled this. When he came in, he had to totally rebuild the culture. A huge part of that was what players were doing in the off season and at practice. That culture change had to come from the coaches. If a player wasn’t working hard, he should be benched. 

Now, you hope that ultimately that starts being policed by the captains and upper class men. But, still, if a player doesn’t give a shot in practice, there needs to be consequences. 

Good post.

In the vast majority of cases, people don't magically perform better on gameday compared to what they show in practice. Practice is the measuring stick and the standard, and then you manage the outlier cases from there. But most of your starting 22 are going to be your best dudes in practice, so I don't really understand the 'he needs to bag the practice schtick.'

The bigger question or concern is why Frost has previously claimed what he sees in practice doesn't consistently translate to gameday. 

• Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Michigan State is playing better in Year 1 with Mel Tucker than we are playing in Year 4 w/ Frost. They play smart; they play disciplined. If we can go to East Lansing and pull off a victory I'll be impressed. 

Last year they were 2-5 in Year 1 of Mel Tucker.  Good try though.

• Plus1 3

Everyone keeps saying that special teams sucked, but wasn't it mostly just the FG/PAT kicking in this game? I don't recall any major mistakes on kickoffs or punts. (Well, there was the kickoff that was probably going out of bounds that OU picked up anyway.)

1 hour ago, druski_2k5 said:

I will watch on replay but it sounds like the Offensive Line was better as the game progressed??

Well, they didn't have another drive with four flags on them after the first one... :dunno

18 minutes ago, Toe said:

Everyone keeps saying that special teams sucked, but wasn't it mostly just the FG/PAT kicking in this game? I don't recall any major mistakes on kickoffs or punts. (Well, there was the kickoff that was probably going out of bounds that OU picked up anyway.)

Yeah, it sure seems like it mostly the place kicking.  But people like to exaggerate.

• Plus1 2