Oklahoma: What did we learn?

37 minutes ago, Enhance said:

The bigger question or concern is why Frost has previously claimed what he sees in practice doesn't consistently translate to gameday. 

Agree.  I'm guessing that maybe for far too long the coaches have let much of the undisciplined stuff like penalties go on in practice without consequences.  Maybe along the lines of the "no fear of failure" mantra.  When those get called out on Saturdays, the gameplan falls apart.

2 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

Slowing down the replay, yes he did get pushed back, but its not as much of a blow up as it appeared live.  Ethan's right leg immediately trips over #70's left leg.  That caused him to go flying backwards as much as anything.  Call it bad technique by one or both of them or bad coaching, but they shouldn't be over-lapping their ankles like that.

It's not bad technique. Literally every field goal unit is coached to do this. You can't line up like that or the tackle will be off the line. At the snap everyone takes a step in, behind the guy next to them. The point is to close any gaps and make the defenders have to squeeze through (like you see them doing on the left side). Doesn't matter if you can't sustain the block long because the kick should be away pretty quick.

23 hours ago, PaulCrewe said:

Once in a blue moon Frost calls a good game with wrinkles and plays we have not seen.  These rarities are the closest thing to a UCF offense most had hoped for.  Unfortunately, he goes right back into his bland redundant dumb calls the next game and stays there the rest of the year

If there’s one consistent thing about Frost is that he’s inconsistent. 

9 minutes ago, ZRod said:

It's not bad technique. Literally every field goal unit is coached to do this. You can't line up like that or the tackle will be off the line. At the snap everyone takes a step in, behind the guy next to them. The point is to close any gaps and make the defenders have to squeeze through (like you see them doing on the left side). Doesn't matter if you can't sustain the block long because the kick should be away pretty quick.

Fair enough.  

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I have no problem with how Frost has handled this. When he came in, he had to totally rebuild the culture. A huge part of that was what players were doing in the off season and at practice. That culture change had to come from the coaches. If a player wasn’t working hard, he should be benched. 

Now, you hope that ultimately that starts being policed by the captains and upper class men. But, still, if a player doesn’t give a shot in practice, there needs to be consequences. 

At what cost? How many times have Liewer been in when a higher ceiling athlete needed to be? What culture are you building at 12-20 over 3+ years?

I get accountability. But if you’re not changing your schemes, iterate your player philosophy. Manning doesn’t know 80% of the playbook? Awesome! I can think of a guy who is bigger, stronger, more athletic in 20% plays I’m going to run more often. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

At what cost? How many times have Liewer been in when a higher ceiling athlete needed to be? What culture are you building at 12-20 over 3+ years?

I get accountability. But if you’re not changing your schemes, iterate your player philosophy. Manning doesn’t know 80% of the playbook? Awesome! I can think of a guy who is bigger, stronger, more athletic in 20% plays I’m going to run more often. 

Then the higher ceiling player needs to work harder. 

If the higher ceiling player doesn’t know where he’s supposed to be, how good is he?

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Then the higher ceiling player needs to work harder. 

If the higher ceiling player doesn’t know where he’s supposed to be, how good is he?

Manning seemed to know where he needed to be when catching his touchdown. What has Wyatt’s practice hustle yielded for the team? 

In a non binary world, you hope the best talent is also the hardest working, most coachable. NU seems to have too many where it’s one or the other. And playing the low ceiling Good Will Hunting erudite is not yielding returns. You know the routes, great. It takes you a day to run one. 

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Undone said:

Maybe this is a bad call out. No doubt the kid is trying his hardest. But Piper gets pushed pretty bad on the blocked field goal:

I say this not because it necessarily caused the block (kick should have been higher), but dang...maybe another example of how you have to have your best players out there for every play possible in a big game.

And because he plays guard on the OL I'll also say: Frost has really struggled to recruit and train up good guards. He's got a good center and then several blue chip tackles (with Corcoran being one of the highest rated players we've probably ever snagged in the modern era), but man...we need better guard play so bad right now.

Corcoran isn't doing anything to live up to the hype, though; kid has got his own row on the Struggle Bus at the moment. 

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:
14 hours ago, DefenderAO said:

I have no problem with how Frost has handled this. When he came in, he had to totally rebuild the culture. A huge part of that was what players were doing in the off season and at practice.

Frost routinely said Manning and Betts would have good practice weeks so far only to see them on the bench in games.  He isn’t helping the situation and he needs to allow his talent to play unless their are egregious things going on. 

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

You are right. I was wrong.

I thought I had waited long enough after the game to be rational instead of emotional but I hadn’t. The last handful of plays were just a series of unfortunate events precipitated by circumstance and our OL. Frost didn’t choke.

That's big of you to admit you were wrong, but completely unnecessary. I know I have made comments in here that are off-base or under too quick of a reaction. It's all good!!

• Plus1 1

42 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

Manning seemed to know where he needed to be when catching his touchdown. What has Wyatt’s practice hustle yielded for the team? 

In a non binary world, you hope the best talent is also the hardest working, most coachable. NU seems to have too many where it’s one or the other. And playing the low ceiling Good Will Hunting erudite is not yielding returns. You know the routes, great. It takes you a day to run one. 

Yep….and he was on the field playing.  Was that true last year?

I learned Martinez really improved his pocket presence. He stayed in it and made some real tough throws. I like that he didn’t panic too much but when he did, the pocket was already collapsing and it was too late to escape. He’s gotta improve a little on his awareness of the pocket. I think he’ll continue to do that throughout the season.

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

That's big of you to admit you were wrong, but completely unnecessary. I know I have made comments in here that are off-base or under too quick of a reaction. It's all good!!

Ive found I should wait several hours after a game to offer any analysis. Its usually tainted by emotion (and sometimes alcohol) if done sooner.

Not as an excuse but I did head for the liquor cabinet after the first two false start penalties on our opening drive. I was feeling no pain before halftime :lol:

Obviously Frost did not want the team to take two sacks and not stop the clock on the other plays.

• Haha 1

What I learned from this OU game is to look real close before betting against, or recommend betting against this team. 

I'm an outsider and have no dog in this hunt. I've watched the NU games this year out of morbid curiosity, the train wreck thing. Viewing from the outside, i think this coaching staff may be turing the corner, or at least coaching these players up. This team looked and acted different yesterday, more controlled, steady, goal oriented. Some stupid mistakes sure, but not like before. 

• Plus1 1