Oklahoma: What did we learn?

54 minutes ago, Mavric said:

The interior of the line got blown up on both the first two FG attempts as well.  As in, knocked over backwards.

So not just on the blocked extra point.  That's pretty bad.

This could very well explain why Culp is struggling so bad. I’m sure it’s hard to be consistent when you’re more worried then last year about every one of your kicks getting blocked

That second field goal shouldn’t have been attempted anyway. Kicking a 50+ yarder with a struggling kicker when it’s 4th and 4. In a game where you’re trying to upset the #3 team in the country, you go for it there in my opinion. Overall I thought Frost called a great game bought that was a poor decision I bet Frost would like to have that one back.

• Plus1 1

21.98: The average number of yards Nebraska’s opponents have to gain to score a point. This is an elite number; anything above 20 over the course of a season would be. Last season, NU opponents scored points every 13.15 yards. The difference in those numbers is profound. Right now, a team has to gain 154 yards on the Huskers to score a touchdown. Last season, that number was 92 yards.

OWH

For reference, Alabama is at 16.8 right now.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
9 hours ago, Farms said:

That second field goal shouldn’t have been attempted anyway. Kicking a 50+ yarder with a struggling kicker when it’s 4th and 4. In a game where you’re trying to upset the #3 team in the country, you go for it there in my opinion. Overall I thought Frost called a great game bought that was a poor decision I bet Frost would like to have that one back.

Coach Frost is built that way. It probably stems from his days as a QB here at NU where the fans got on him a bit. He faced criticism and felt pressed for his job. Coach Osborne stuck with him and it ended up coming up roses for him. 

Look at CTB- a terrible punt returner by any metric, a true liability. Great kid, hard worker, loyal, excellent attitude. So Frost sticks with him even after making those mistakes. 

Coach Frost is hard headed and is going to stick with what he knows or thinks he knows. No amount of criticism anywhere will sway him- in fact it probably makes him dig in deeper.  That includes players. We need to go to another kicker and like you said factor in our crappy special teams when considering if we should go for a 4th and 4. We should be thinking 4 down territory and call the plays accordingly. 

Seventh: Nebraska’s Big Ten rank in scoring defense. NU ranks 26th nationally. And it’s seventh in its own league!

Four league teams — Iowa, Rutgers, Michigan and Wisconsin — rank in the top 11, though the best defense might be Penn State at 17th. The Nittany Lions slowed both Wisconsin and Auburn.

OWH

Good for #20 in the Power 5.

• Plus1 2