Oklahoma: What did we learn?

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

This is what I'm getting at.  It's pretty much just the place kicking that has been terrible.  Everything else has been pretty solid.  Kickoff and Punt has been drastically improved from last year.

Of course I presume this statement is simply missing an asterisk, for penalties.  The self-inflicted wounds continue to be the issue.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hskrfan4life said:

Yes, Toure should be back there. In regards to kick returns. Any time we do it, it's because we want to make a big play. But each time it's backfired so just take it at the 25.

I have to think that we must be looking great in practice. Why else would we ask the returner to make a play when he's never actually had a big return in a game before? (Or did i miss one)

• Plus1 1
48 minutes ago, TheSker said:

It really is awesome how much improvement there has been from week 0 to now 

Having most of the roster healthy is proving big 

Even the top ranked teams don't play mistake free football.

I'm very excited to see how competitive we are each week the rest of the season.

Saturday appears to have been a mixed bag, but what else does this fanbase have but the intangibility of optimism.  On the tangible side, the game looked familiar; penalties, special teams errors, etc. and a loss as a result.  With the great defensive effort, this should have been an upset.  

More than anything, I was happy for our fans who got to travel to Norman this weekend to renew a rivalry with a familiar opponent.  Really nice to see those two schools together on the playing field once more.  I sure do dislike what re-alignment has done to the game.

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

The talent level between Nebraska and Oklahoma seemed more or less equal, so one thing I don't ever want to hear again is we just don't have the horses.  We absolutely do.  It's just a matter of coach having the team prepared.

I would say this is true but I think they had a lot more speed on defense in the front 7.  Offense I think was pretty close except the O-line. 

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, The Dude said:

The talent level between Nebraska and Oklahoma seemed more or less equal, so one thing I don't ever want to hear again is we just don't have the horses.  We absolutely do.  It's just a matter of coach having the team prepared.

I have to disagree. I thought OU looked better at almost every position as far as talent. NU looked better at QB and TE though. Definitely a lot more team speed for OU, especially on defense.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
25 minutes ago, The Dude said:

We were "prepared" enough if our kicker didn't miss the 18 1/2 foot space between the uprights. 

• Plus1 2
49 minutes ago, The Dude said:

And experience...  We have athletes who can hang with about anyone, no doubt.  We do not have the same level of experience as most in the top 25.  The job of coaching becomes exponentially easier the more experience your team has.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 5
5 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

That's an interesting stat. But, just to make sure I'm understanding this.  If a team drives 70 yards and scores a TD and extra point, this stat would be 10 yards per point, correct?

Yep. Don't forget that not all drives end in points - those yards still count toward the figure.

3 hours ago, Undone said:

I think you might actually want Oliver Martin in there just to protect Samori from unnecessary injury, honestly.

Can't end up with more players injured if you use a player that's already injured!

6863b4d9eb73951cf1900e9a0a51e023.gif

4 hours ago, RedDenver said:

I have to disagree. I thought OU looked better at almost every position as far as talent. NU looked better at QB and TE though. Definitely a lot more team speed for OU, especially on defense.

Yeah I thought that OU seemed to have a talent advantage in most spots, but Nebraska didn't look physically outmatched or outgunned, and that was pretty important. In fact, I thought Nebraska looked like the more physical and aggressive team for good chunks of that game. I doubt OU runs into any other team like that on the Big 12 slate.

At the end of the day, I think the key difference was that there were a lot of plays where OU's dude was just better than Nebraska's dude. The only way Nebraska was going to win that game was if their execution was at an all time high and hope that OU made mistakes, and unfortunately, neither of those things happened enough.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Enhance said:

Yeah I thought that OU seemed to have a talent advantage in most spots, but Nebraska didn't look physically outmatched or outgunned, and that was pretty important. In fact, I thought Nebraska looked like the more physical and aggressive team for good chunks of that game. I doubt OU runs into any other team like that on the Big 12 slate.

At the end of the day, I think the key difference was that there were a lot of plays where OU's dude was just better than Nebraska's dude. The only way Nebraska was going to win that game was if their execution was at an all time high and hope that OU made mistakes, and unfortunately, neither of those things happened enough.

Agreed, although OU made enough mistakes to help keep NU within striking distance even with all of NU's mistakes. Like that INT the announcers went on and on about - great athletic play but poor decision that hurt their team.