Oklahoma: What did we learn?

15 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Disagree that there was a HC choke job at the end. How is it a HC choke job when all 5 linemen whiff on the first down of the possession. 

You are right. I was wrong.

I thought I had waited long enough after the game to be rational instead of emotional but I hadn’t. The last handful of plays were just a series of unfortunate events precipitated by circumstance and our OL. Frost didn’t choke.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 2
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Until NU plays more disciplined itself we will never get the benefit of calls like these. The referee saw it all, it was right in front of him and it would have negated a touchdown. When you have 4 penalties on your first drive and 2 penalties before you even run your first play- nonsense like this happens. It's like a great pitcher establishing a low and inside strike- umpires give him the benefit of the doubt. Anything questonable, is going against NU now because we have the deserved reputation of playing sloppy undisciplined football

• Fire 1

7 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Until NU plays more disciplined itself we will never get the benefit of calls like these. The referee saw it all, it was right in front of him and it would have negated a touchdown. When you have 4 penalties on your first drive and 2 penalties before you even run your first play- nonsense like this happens. It's like a great pitcher establishing a low and inside strike- umpires give him the benefit of the doubt. Anything questonable, is going against NU now because we have the deserved reputation of playing sloppy undisciplined football

You very well might be right. But, both situations (Huskers and pitchers) is BS. 

From the position both Cam was and this play was on the field, it very well could have been in front of the same ref. 

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

You very well might be right. But, both situations (Huskers and pitchers) is BS. 

From the position both Cam was and this play was on the field, it very well could have been in front of the same ref. 

It very well was the same ref and I thought it was a BS call. The earlier unnecessary roughness on Jurgens was legitimate and stupid on Cam, but that one, that's just good blocking. 

Speaking of refereeing decisions, I know the block Stoops had on OU's screen on their first drive wasn't OPI because the pass was behind the LOS, but could it be considered a blindside block?

Maybe this is a bad call out. No doubt the kid is trying his hardest. But Piper gets pushed pretty bad on the blocked field goal:

I say this not because it necessarily caused the block (kick should have been higher), but dang...maybe another example of how you have to have your best players out there for every play possible in a big game.

And because he plays guard on the OL I'll also say: Frost has really struggled to recruit and train up good guards. He's got a good center and then several blue chip tackles (with Corcoran being one of the highest rated players we've probably ever snagged in the modern era), but man...we need better guard play so bad right now.

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Unfortunately this is an inconvenient truth. But the truth nonetheless.  It happens at every level of football. At the college level the referees watch film of previous games to prep for that weekend. At the High School and youth levels you end up with the same crew for games during the season and many of the crews stick together- so you get them year after year. They also often times communicate with each other, they attend meetings, clinics etc. Yes, the OU kid should have been flagged, but the #3 team in the country with the high scoring offense and continuous success over the last 15 years is going to get the benefit of the doubt over the team that had 4 penalties in their first drive. Turning the tables on this is all on us. 

7 minutes ago, Undone said:

Maybe this is a bad call out. No doubt the kid is trying his hardest. But Piper gets pushed pretty bad on the blocked field goal:

I say this not because it necessarily caused the block (kick should have been higher), but dang...maybe another example of how you have to have your best players out there for every play possible in a big game.

And because he plays guard on the OL I'll also say: Frost has really struggled to recruit and train up good guards. He's got a good center and then several blue chip tackles (with Corcoran being one of the highest rated players we've probably ever snagged in the modern era), but man...we need better guard play so bad right now.

Slowing down the replay, yes he did get pushed back, but its not as much of a blow up as it appeared live.  Ethan's right leg immediately trips over #70's left leg.  That caused him to go flying backwards as much as anything.  Call it bad technique by one or both of them or bad coaching, but they shouldn't be over-lapping their ankles like that.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Slowing down the replay, yes he did get pushed back, but its not as much of a blow up as it appeared live.  Ethan's right leg immediately trips over #70's left leg.  That caused him to go flying backwards as much as anything.  Call it bad technique by one or both of them or bad coaching, but they shouldn't be over-lapping their ankles like that.

I think all FG teams do that..overlap ankles, that is...it's bad technique that contributed to the block

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
37 minutes ago, It'sNotAFakeID said:

I think it's nice to have the weapons to attack deep. Big WRs like Betts and Manning, TEs like Allen and Vokolek, and a QB that can place them. Give Adrian some more protection and this offense could be humming. 

That same line is responsible for opening holes for backs. Imagine if we had a good O Line. I believe we approach top 10-15 if that unit was actually strong. Our D is improving more and more. That damn O Line is just poor.  Greg Austin had to go. He’s terrible. 

and ST are, again, the worst I have ever seen I college.