Lets Not Forget

One of the few times in recent memory we didn’t take the big stage only to tarnish our rep further. We played toe to toe, to the end, with the #3 team in the country.  Definitely a positive.

I think the “trying to dodge OU” angle was blown way out of proportion. Any responsible business considers all options. Some of the ideas can look pretty bad. The fact is, the game was not canceled, it did occur and Nebraska showed up and played. I think we can forget about it.

• Plus1 5

I believe the course of events didn't even progress past feelers/hypotheticals of what it would take to get out of the game because we wanted a gimmee game early in the season to set us up for the meat of the B1G season and a bye later in the year. I don't think it progressed past that as it was leaked, but who knows what would have happened without the leak. When did we drop SE Louisiana as an opponent and sign Fordham?

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
8 minutes ago, whateveritis1224 said:

I believe the course of events didn't even progress past feelers/hypotheticals of what it would take to get out of the game because we wanted a gimmee game early in the season to set us up for the meat of the B1G season and a bye later in the year. I don't think it progressed past that as it was leaked, but who knows what would have happened without the leak. When did we drop SE Louisiana as an opponent and sign Fordham?

Yeah, what the media says happened and what really happened are probably two different things. I doubt anyone was dumb enough to pursue dropping OU more than a brain storming idea.

• Plus1 6

Most of the narrative was ultimately framed by whoever leaked it to Oklahoma. We don't really know what was actually being considered, or if they would've actually went through with it. For all we know, they might've just been thinking about moving it to later in the season, like closer to the original '71 game. Or maybe it's true that they really just wanted the $$$ from an extra home game after the loss of funds to covid last year.

Then you factor in whatever Moos's involvement was. Or maybe lack of involvement - a lack of oversight & being able to keep things quiet. Or even making/letting it be a possibility in the first place might've been one thing that irritated the higher ups.

• Plus1 4

On 9/19/2021 at 9:25 AM, TheSker said:

Nobody cares 

I agree with you that Scott Frost has driven the program to rock bottom, but you really gotta see the progress Scott made in this game, and why the national story of Nebraska giving #3 Oklahoma a legitimate fight in Fox's featured game to honor one of the most storied rivalries in college football gives the program much more lift than another Fordham-like win.   

• Plus1 2

On 9/18/2021 at 7:39 PM, ZRod said:

Yeah, what the media says happened and what really happened are probably two different things. I doubt anyone was dumb enough to pursue dropping OU more than a brain storming idea.

Well....you don't entertain the idea, unless you're entertaining the idea. 

The official statement from the UNL Athletic Department confirmed some outreach had been made and it was definitely a thing. They certainly didn't pretend it was nothing. 

As far as I know it was still on the table until the leak, and the largely angry reaction from the fanbase. 

As for Big Red Buster asking "why not forget about this?"

I don't know. Maybe because you can learn something?  It's going to come up every year -- as it does with other programs. Do you load up on patsies wherever possible, or give your team a chance to make a statement game?

At which point you remember the Oklahoma game in 2021 as a better yardstick and recruiting tool than a pay-and-play with Nicholls State.

ipso facto......Let's Not Forget. 

If you think I'm also implying that Nebraska looked like f#&%ing pussies even for "brainstorming" a way out of this game, you're right. 

So let's stick with the good news: Oklahoma actually gave the Huskers a bit of our swagger back. 

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Read Bill Moos' official statement. 

Sometimes learning from a mistake is the best way of moving forward. This is one of those times.

It's the opposite of complaining.   

If you've got something that states Frost wanted to cancel the game, as you're claiming, then post it. Moos never said that in any official statement I've seen.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2