O-Line

Husker03

The idea of getting into a 3 point stance and just asserting some will on teams would go a long long way to getting these boys some confidence and learn how to strong arm opponents. 

I like our scheme, but man…sometimes you have to be able to get low in a stance and crack some skulls. Show some Power and knock some heads around. 

10 hours ago, I am I said:

The idea of getting into a 3 point stance and just asserting some will on teams would go a long long way to getting these boys some confidence and learn how to strong arm opponents. 

I like our scheme, but man…sometimes you have to be able to get low in a stance and crack some skulls. Show some Power and knock some heads around. 

Coaching, coaching, coaching.

I think S&C can be a difficult factor to evaluate. To a man, most of the o-line looks the part. And to my inexpert eye, it seems like the 1:1 battles they lose has more to do with bad technique and leverage than it does sheer strength.

I do think Austin is probably on his way out after this season. I'm just not sure how you justify retaining him unless the o-line shows some kind of significant improvement the rest of the season. It's year four and we could easily argue that the offensive line has been the most inconsistent and underperforming position group in the Frost era. And that's just unacceptable as a B1G program with aspirations of competing for conference titles. If you have average to below average lines in the B1G then you're a bad program - full stop.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I think S&C can be a difficult factor to evaluate. To a man, most of the o-line looks the part. And to my inexpert eye, it seems like the 1:1 battles they lose has more to do with bad technique and leverage than it does sheer strength.

I do think Austin is probably on his way out after this season. I'm just not sure how you justify retaining him unless the o-line shows some kind of significant improvement the rest of the season. It's year four and we could easily argue that the offensive line has been the most inconsistent and underperforming position group in the Frost era. And that's just unacceptable as a B1G program with aspirations of competing for conference titles. If you have average to below average lines in the B1G then you're a bad program - full stop.

Question is, will Trev be able to level with Frost to have this happen?

5 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Question is, will Trev be able to level with Frost to have this happen?

Fair question. I'm not really sure how Trev operates to be honest.

I would hope most head coaches understand and realize the scope of their expectations. I know it can be incredibly difficult to fire a friend, but at some point, you can't stay hooked to the hip of a position coach whose unit consistently underperforms.

• Plus1 1

hate giving Frost the benefit of the doubt on saying that some of this offensive line is still young as an excuse for the poor blocking so far in four games...but I feel like if you're really being objective, you have to point it out.

Corcoran has to be given some slack - he's a redshirt freshman.

The highly rated recruits are at tackle, but the frustrating part in the games is more at guard. We've got some guys that have been in the program for several years now to work with but they just look like they're getting pushed around. I'm not sure anyone can say they're undersized, that's not the problem.

So, who is more at fault there? Duvall or Austin?

I'm going with Austin, personally.

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, Undone said:

hate giving Frost the benefit of the doubt on saying that some of this offensive line is still young as an excuse for the poor blocking so far in four games...but I feel like if you're really being objective, you have to point it out.

The highly rated recruits are at tackle, but the frustrating part in the games is more at guard. We've got some guys that have been in the program for several years now to work with but they just look like they're getting pushed around. I'm not sure anyone can say they're undersized, that's not the problem.

Yeah, I'm with you. The lack of experience argument doesn't hold for the line as a whole, but it does for Corcoran. And I've seen some decent improvement from Benhart. But at Guard - I don't want to keep dragging the kid, but Piper is not good enough right now. Sichterman hasn't had a lot of terrible moments, but not a lot of good ones either. We've got nobody else we can try there? Are Banks/Nouili/Miller/Hixson that much worse?

The Guards have been around long enough to be better than this. And while Corcoran will get better as he gets healthier/more experience, we needed to have a serviceable backup option. And it turned out to be immediately obvious Banks wasn't it. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Yeah, I'm with you. The lack of experience argument doesn't hold for the line as a whole, but it does for Corcoran. And I've seen some decent improvement from Benhart. But at Guard - I don't want to keep dragging the kid, but Piper is not good enough right now. Sichterman hasn't had a lot of terrible moments, but not a lot of good ones either. We've got nobody else we can try there? Are Banks/Nouili/Miller/Hixson that much worse?

The Guards have been around long enough to be better than this. And while Corcoran will get better as he gets healthier/more experience, we needed to have a serviceable backup option. And it turned out to be immediately obvious Banks wasn't it. 

+1, good assessment.

Hixson is a good example. Ok, yeah he was a walk-on who was given a scholarship. So obviously not your blue chip kid...but he's been in the program for several years.

You would expect him to at least be playing as a serviceable level as a back-up if this staff can develop the kids.

I wish Farniok had stayed on with the COVID rule and played at right guard.

1 minute ago, Undone said:

I think the fault lies more with personnel decision making and recruiting. Hard to expect RS Freshman or Sophomores to compete like a “pipeline.” While it shouldn’t look this bad and I see the gripe with Austin, I’d like to see what he could do with top-down depth. Alberts was also quoted for calling Austin a “really good coach” about 3 years ago.

I believe Frost figured they had time to manage through years 2-4 and get to year 5 and 6 before his youth movement pays off. The Covid year and eligibility is going to prove very beneficial for him to establish depth. It’s helped the defense this year and with AM likely returning, it’ll finally catch up with the offense next year. Wait and see is not a popular opinion though, I get it. 

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Savage Husker said:

Wait and see is not a popular opinion though, I get it. 

If we continue to play like we did in games 2, 3, & 4 then I am buying a ticket and hopping on the "wait and see" train for sure.

To summarize what I was trying to convey in that post, I can't sit here and hammer Austin for what Corocan is/isn't doing right now...but some of the guards are year 3 guys.

If Jurgens & Benhart are the only guys that are playing well right now, does that then mean that Austin can't get it done with anything less than 4 star athletes? Both Cam & Bryce rated out as 4 stars according to 24/7.

• Plus1 1
31 minutes ago, Undone said:

If we continue to play like we did in games 2, 3, & 4 then I am buying a ticket and hopping on the "wait and see" train for sure.

To summarize what I was trying to convey in that post, I can't sit here and hammer Austin for what Corocan is/isn't doing right now...but some of the guards are year 3 guys.

If Jurgens & Benhart are the only guys that are playing well right now, does that then mean that Austin can't get it done with anything less than 4 star athletes? Both Cam & Bryce rated out as 4 stars according to 24/7.

Yeah, I hear where you’re coming from and wasn’t intending to disagree with you either.  IMO, I don’t think I can say Austin isn’t getting it done based on how Frost is building this team. Sure, there are definite issues and corrections to be made though. He has laid off a former “assistant of the year,” and a coach who overcame cancer, I don’t think he has an issue parting ways with his staff when he needs to. Just my 2¢. 

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

Sure, there are definite issues and corrections to be made though. He has laid off a former “assistant of the year,” and a coach who overcame cancer, I don’t think he has an issue parting ways with his staff when he needs to. Just my 2¢. 

Agreed.

Another thing that the coaches also can't necessarily control is just how hungry some of these guys are to succeed. Jurgens, Martinez, Toure, Manning, Martin, the RBs & TEs...these guys look hungry, and they believe.

Maybe some of these other linemen just don't. I'm not saying that's for sure the case but it's another angle to consider.

2 hours ago, Enhance said:

Fair question. I'm not really sure how Trev operates to be honest.

I would hope most head coaches understand and realize the scope of their expectations. I know it can be incredibly difficult to fire a friend, but at some point, you can't stay hooked to the hip of a position coach whose unit consistently underperforms.

Maybe Trev can call Bill Callahan up, put him on speakerphone, and ask him in front of Frost how being tethered to your friend went for him?

Again--still maintain that if Bill Callahan would have had the gumption to get someone else in as DC, there's a strong chance he would still be our coach (in a good way). 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1