Huskers open as 3 point underdogs at Michigan State 9/25

seaofred92

6 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I agree but I think our run game (blocking/line play) is going to have to improve greatly (like they have not shown yet) and MSU run D is going to have to be a little off. This looks to be one of those games where our passing is going to have to open up the run game instead of the other way around.

The cool thing is that we have the passing game that can do this, and throw in Adrian's ability to scramble, we may pull this off.  FYI- I would rather have a strong running game.  :)

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, irafreak said:

I'm looking for mental improvement from the offense. Let's come out on the opening drive and have no penalties. For once let's see them show the moment isn't too big for them. 

I like this. MSU has been down once this year. It was by 4 points, in the first half, and it was short lived. I'd love to make them uncomfortable. Walker isn't as scary if they are playing from behind. 

50 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

MSU has a freak at OLB Quavaris Crouch. Was a RB in HS, rushed for 3300 yards in a single season, #3 overall Athlete in his class. Transfer from Tennessee (goodness did MSU crush the transfer portal). He was used to spy King last week, King has 12 carries for 7 yards. Expect him to spy AM this week. 

Yes MSU has figured out how to really benefit from the transfer portal. 

NU needs to do the same- when in a situation of significant change, those who can adapt and come up with ways- processes that others have not yet figured out can gain significant advantages over their opponents. We used to have that in strength and nutrition and a bit on evaluating players. 

No shame in copying others that are successful, everyone copied NUs strength and nutrition stuff and we lost our advantage. MSU has flipped its roster quite a bit in just 2 years and Tucker has his team in the top 20. Something to be learned from that. 

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state/spartans/2021/07/21/michigan-state-football-transfers-portal-drew-jordan-kendell-brooks/8031839002/

If the pocket holds as well as it did against OU, Adrian is going to throw some dots. He made great reads against them but I expect heavier pass rushes moving into B1G conference play. A spy is fine I think some design rollout plays helps Adrian as well. Seems to look for his TE’s and Omar a lot more when he’s on the move.

1 hour ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Yes MSU has figured out how to really benefit from the transfer portal. 

NU needs to do the same- when in a situation of significant change, those who can adapt and come up with ways- processes that others have not yet figured out can gain significant advantages over their opponents. We used to have that in strength and nutrition and a bit on evaluating players. 

No shame in copying others that are successful, everyone copied NUs strength and nutrition stuff and we lost our advantage. MSU has flipped its roster quite a bit in just 2 years and Tucker has his team in the top 20. Something to be learned from that. 

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state/spartans/2021/07/21/michigan-state-football-transfers-portal-drew-jordan-kendell-brooks/8031839002/

I don't disagree, it's just that we are already doing that.. We got one of our top RBs (Stepp), 2 of our top WRs (Toure and Martin) our Kicker who until this season started was an absolute home run, and a bunch of guys who have started or are poised to contribute (Kolarevic, Brewington, Tyreke Johnson). We've utilized the portal a lot, and probably would have utilized it more if it had happened a little earlier in Frost's tenure. It started partway through his first year, but the type of guys you can get has evolved a bit IMO. 

I would love for one of the transfers to be having as much success as Walker leading the country in rushing. But honestly Toure was close in receiving before being mostly shut down by OU, and Martin was excellent in the one game he was healthy for. Stepp has had his moments - and if you look at the timing, I'd bet we tried to get Walker before landing on Stepp. 

• Plus1 3

Speaking of transfer portal, seems many teams go to the transfer portal for the skill player positions. How about we go to the transfer portal for the offensive linemen? Look for 5th year seniors, graduate seniors from across the country who are huge linemen. Look at the backup linemen, or even third string linemen around the SEC and see if they want to come start at Nebraska. 

I agree- Toure was an amazing find. He's been consistent, love his athleticism and heady play. Our numbers aren't close to MSUs though and their top defender is a transfer as well. Tuckers only been at MSU 2 years- they are definitely ahead of us on this one. 

I like Martin too, better than expected but he has had injuries in the past. Stepp- I see flashes, but hard to tell and he usually has injuries too. 

Would be nice to see more like Toure- Walker with some legit numbers come in. 

• Plus1 1

I'll go ahead and say I think this game boils down to our pass protection.

The final score of the MSU/Miami game doesn't at all reflect how close the game really was up through the start of the 4th quarter.

Miami had a 1st & 10 on their own 32 at the very start of the 4th quarter with the score sitting at 17-14 and they had really played pretty good defense, they were totally in the game - and then their left tackle gets beat hard and the Spartans' rush end forces a fumble against the QB.

Ball takes a great MSU bounce & they return it for a few yards deep inside Miami territory and then eventually scored a TD off of that turnover.

Then the 'canes just completely fell apart. 

• Plus1 1

7 hours ago, irafreak said:

I'm looking for mental improvement from the offense. Let's come out on the opening drive and have no penalties. For once let's see them show the moment isn't too big for them. 

I am assuming that I wasn't the only person watching the Oklahoma game cringing after each big play, waiting to see if a flag was thrown on NU.  

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, BoNeyard said:

Speaking of transfer portal, seems many teams go to the transfer portal for the skill player positions. How about we go to the transfer portal for the offensive linemen? Look for 5th year seniors, graduate seniors from across the country who are huge linemen. Look at the backup linemen, or even third string linemen around the SEC and see if they want to come start at Nebraska. 

Frost sniffed one JUCO OL who didn’t qualify and hasn’t thought about another since his first recruiting cycle. After reading a story, it sounds like a former OL great discouraged him from bringing in outsiders “because OL need to develop together and gel” or along those lines. 

7 minutes ago, CAHusker said:

I am assuming that I wasn't the only person watching the Oklahoma game cringing after each big play, waiting to see if a flag was thrown on NU.  

Every positive play and every flag thrown I thought it was against Nebraska. I barely enjoyed Betts’ catch because I was afraid of a holding penalty, not a sideline infraction by OU. 

• Plus1 1
34 minutes ago, CAHusker said:

Husker fans might as well be Pavlov’s dog at this point. If we have a big play, chances are it’s getting nullified for something. And any flag hits the field, we just know it’s going to be on NU.

• Plus1 1