PFF grades the offense against OU

lo country

Looking at the QB/RB/WR and TE we graded well.  The OL.  Not so much. Good break down this time showing the missed blocks, sacks allowed etc....

Didn't realize we had Teddy Pro lined up as a TE for 5 snaps....Scored the highest of any OL in run blocking.  Only 5 snaps, but was almost an 82.....

https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/pff-snap-counts-and-grades-for-nebraska-s-offense-vs-oklahoma

• Plus1 4

On throws that traveled over 20 yards, Martinez was 3-of-6 for 114 yards. He was a perfect 16-of-16 on throws that traveled under 20 yards. When kept clean in the pocked Martinez was 15-of-17 and scored a passing grade of 92.9 on those plays. Martinez was pressured 18 times on 36 dropbacks and was just 4-of-8 on those 18 dropbacks where OU pressured him.

This is pretty solid.

Martinez was 9-of-11 for 172 yards on play-action throws and scored 91.9 on those plays.

bUT wE nEVeR rUn PlaY-aCTiON!!!

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

One thing for sure this season.  AM is not the problem......

Here is a good (painful) article about our offensive woes. 

https://hailvarsity.com/football/amid-signs-of-progress-elsewhere-questions-remain-on-nebraskas-o-line/

One part of the game I didn't know was that under Riley when scoring 24 or less the Sooners are 0-8.......We just can't catch or create a break

• Plus1 4

21 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

Wow...we have run it 1 out of 4 games.  Nice try on the sarcasm. 

We have run play action all year.  Not sure where this started or came from?  Maybe some 55 followers?  I already proved him painfully wrong on that point and it died for a while.  Bottom line- Nebraska regularly uses play action... In every game... Just like almost every other football team on the planet.  In fact, we have done it pretty well this year.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, lo country said:

Looking at the QB/RB/WR and TE we graded well.  The OL.  Not so much. Good break down this time showing the missed blocks, sacks allowed etc....

Didn't realize we had Teddy Pro lined up as a TE for 5 snaps....Scored the highest of any OL in run blocking.  Only 5 snaps, but was almost an 82.....

https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/pff-snap-counts-and-grades-for-nebraska-s-offense-vs-oklahoma

Prochazka has looked solid practically every snap out there.  If I'm Frost/Austin with the way Corcoran has struggled I think it's time to give him his shot at LT.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, suh_fan93 said:

Prochazka has looked solid practically every snap out there.  If I'm Frost/Austin with the way Corcoran has struggled I think it's time to give him his shot out there at LT.

Yeah, I don't know if Corcoran is still not 100% or just isn't ready but he's really struggling. 

I'd rather not have to throw a true freshman in there but it sure seems like we need to try something different.

On a positive note, after Benhart got beaten to the inside a few times last game, he did a much better job of forcing his defender outside and running him past Martinez (at least in the first half that I've watched).

I can't read the article, but I'm posting this ti highlight the first bullet point.  Last year, we had a major problem with scoring in the red zone.  However, I remember a stat before this game that Nebraska had scored almost every time in the red zone this year.  

This game, we had an issue, mainly because of the kicking game.  Am I remembering the stat right?

If so, I'm struggling to see a troubling trend in the red zone.

Before everyone writes off Corcoran- I'm guessing he is still struggling with that Hamstring injury. Those are not fast healing and it definitely affects both speed and power. His ceiling is too high to write him off. 

Remember Banks was given a chance at LT and did poorly, he graded worst on the line when he got a bunch of snaps. It's probably Banks poor play that is forcing NU to stick with Corcoran.  I'm hoping they put Teddy at LT and move Corcoran inside. They alternate positions in practice now and zone blocking rules are zone rules. We haven't pulled the guard a ton this year. 

If Hutmacher isnt going to get any snaps on defense- would like to see NU give him a shot at guard or center. 

21 minutes ago, Undone said:

I feel like we don't have many outside zone plays to our RBs. But I kind of wonder what Johnson could be capable of, stretching plays out to the sidelines.

Our interior zone blocking is kind of struggling. Maybe we'll see more option on Saturday night to hit the edge of the field more?

One thing I did see is Rahmir's willingness and effectiveness at blocking.  He looked very good in that phase, not to mention his receiving threat.

17 minutes ago, Undone said:

I feel like we don't have many outside zone plays to our RBs. But I kind of wonder what Johnson could be capable of, stretching plays out to the sidelines.

Our interior zone blocking is kind of struggling. Maybe we'll see more option on Saturday night to hit the edge of the field more?

The orbit motion triple has almost disappeared from the quiver. Our base inside zone Im guessing is averaging 2 or 3 yards at best. 

While the passing game numbers are encouraging- when it comes to the BIG West in order to be consistently successful, you need to be able to run the ball. Especially when it cools down. With the issues we have with the Oline, that aspect of our game will need to improve by quite a bit to get us to 6 wins. The blocking issues are structural- they arent going to change much until you have a different coach. So that means it will have to be a scheme thing. 

4 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

The orbit motion triple has almost disappeared from the quiver. Our base inside zone Im guessing is averaging 2 or 3 yards at best. 

While the passing game numbers are encouraging- when it comes to the BIG West in order to be consistently successful, you need to be able to run the ball. Especially when it cools down. With the issues we have with the Oline, that aspect of our game will need to improve by quite a bit to get us to 6 wins. The blocking issues are structural- they arent going to change much until you have a different coach. So that means it will have to be a scheme thing. 

How many times did we run that motion vs Buffalo? We tried against Oklahoma, but their D is faster, the blocking was poor, and its a true triple option with the RB running a dive. Oklahoma schemed it so that the 1st read guy would go for Martinez and Martinez gave it to the RB each time. One game where the D makes a decision not to let your QB get to the edge on that play doesn't mean its gone from the quiver. Stop overreacting.

• Plus1 2
14 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Don't take this as me disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing, it's good discussion.

I agree with the "when it cools down part" to a large degree. But I actually think we will start dominating this division when we have the back-breaking deep pass plays like we've seen the last two games. I think that's Frost's offense, but he hasn't had the horses until this season to do it.

Frost is strong on X's & O's. And for as popular as it is to crap on his coordinators & assistants I think Lubick is helping to get execution up to a higher degree. What we're doing with our tight ends and our mesh routes - when you combine it with a QB who can scramble - is pretty strong. I think we can actually dominate the West with the playbook that we have.

But...it's a heck of a lot harder when that 1st & 10 inside zone handoff only gets 2 yards, isn't it? That's the thing right now. You want to be setup for that 2nd & 1 where you can throw that post route to Manning or Betts, but we're not getting into those situations all that much.

• Plus1 2