PFF grades the defense against OU

lo country

21 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

What's a missed tackle worth in points? If it's not an exact metric, then how do analysts A and B use the same grading scale for missed tackles? The answer is it's a subjective analysis aka an opinion on performance, so it's not an objective standard.

If Herbstreit or one of the other analysts had given AM a mediocre grade for his performance last week, I'd have criticized them too and not had as much confidence in their analysis going forward, the same as I'm doing with PFF.

So basically, your subjective opinion doesn't match the result of this grading system, so clearly something must be wrong with the grading system.

17 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

wtf is going on with CTB this year?  guy has all the physical tools and given his track record was poised to play himself into a 2nd/3rd round lock of a draft pick and feel like he's playing his way out of being drafted all together

I honestly think he is playing to the preseason expectations.  In laymen's terms, simply trying to hard.  

10 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

wtf is going on with CTB this year?  guy has all the physical tools and given his track record was poised to play himself into a 2nd/3rd round lock of a draft pick and feel like he's playing his way out of being drafted all together

he needs to be reminded that he's not good or talented enough to abandon his technique. that's meant for people like ed reed, mike brown, troy polamalu, and deion sanders. even darrel reevis and champ bailey are hall of famers only because their technique was so sound and consistent.

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

What's a missed tackle worth in points? If it's not an exact metric, then how do analysts A and B use the same grading scale for missed tackles? The answer is it's a subjective analysis aka an opinion on performance, so it's not an objective standard.

If Herbstreit or one of the other analysts had given AM a mediocre grade for his performance last week, I'd have criticized them too and not had as much confidence in their analysis going forward, the same as I'm doing with PFF.

who says it's not an exact metric? again, if the same metrics are being used whether a team plays in tallahassee or in pullman, washington, what difference does it make? it's a grading method. you don't have to like the method, but there is a message being passed across: the defense could have been better. 

2 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

He may be trying to figure out what leading this team means. He is not by any means an eloquent communicator. Maybe he thinks he has to make all these big plays and set the tone. Missed tackles, missed picks that go for first downs and the muffed punts. Then at Buffalo hes jawing at their sidelines. Love the effort- don't like the results. He needs to play within himself and let that be the way he leads the team. 

2 hours ago, thatguy said:

who says it's not an exact metric? again, if the same metrics are being used whether a team plays in tallahassee or in pullman, washington, what difference does it make? it's a grading method. you don't have to like the method, but there is a message being passed across: the defense could have been better. 

PFF's own website says it's not a metric and specifically contrasts their analysis to stats, which is an objective measure. If other people value their analysis, that's fine. I'm just giving my opinion that it's not worth all that much.

3 hours ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Yes, so other than pointing out that PFF might not be flawless (kudos), anything specific you'd like to offer to refute their analysis?

No analysis is flawless and I'm not suggesting they should be. I'm saying their analysis is poor. I've been on the fence with them for a while, but here's where they really lost me: