Signature Win

huskerfan74

I'll go ahead and say this is a "signature win" if we do get lucky enough to win this one. Top 20 game on the road in primetime? How can it not be a signature win?

But "signature win" is more of a thing for the fans and the media. What would be so important about winning this game is just the confidence it would give our guys to then flatten the kitty cats the following week and take seriously the idea that we then control our own destiny from that point on. 

• Plus1 1

Why do we do this? We always set standards and bars to meet. Just focus one game at a time. The beauty of CFB is anything can happen. Teams either fold or rally. We’ll never know unless we let things play out each week. And each week presents a different challenge. This is neither a signature win or signature loss that defines the season.

One. Game. At. A. Time.

• Plus1 2

I think you have to go back to Mike Riley's 2016 team beating #6 Michigan State for a win against a ranked team. The problem extended to Bo Pelini, who had one of the worst records against ranked teams in P5, irc.  

To me, Scott Frost's signature win is still his first win at Nebraska, against Minnesota in 2018. You saw the light go off and could envision Adrian running a precision Frost offense. Minnesota was fairly mediocre, but it felt like the beginning of something. The rest of the best games were good efforts in losses, so you can't call them signature wins. 

Researching this made me look back at the 2019 season, and I hate to say it but we'd probably take that 5-7 year right now.

There's no reason Nebraska can't beat Michigan State this week. With two more wins against this schedule, and the rest well-contested losses, a 5-7 season might feel like progress. If that's the case, I can't see any reason for giving up on Frost. Unless he does something stupid, like refuse to make changing in special teams coaching.  

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

If that's the case, I can't see any reason for giving up on Frost. Unless he does something stupid, like refuse to make changing in special teams coaching.  

I agree.

And I think the biggest reason I personally feel this way is because the schedule is so difficult this year. If people aren't factoring that in, they're doing it wrong.

It just comes at such bad timing. It's the toughest schedule Frost has had yet, when his seat is the warmest.

When Michigan State was trending down a bit over the last couple years we probably thought that having them this year was more or less a "gimme win." Now that Tucker has them playing better it is anything but.

1 hour ago, Undone said:

When Michigan State was trending down a bit over the last couple years we probably thought that having them this year was more or less a "gimme win." Now that Tucker has them playing better it is anything but.

From under-rated to over-rated in three games makes me think MSU is perfectly situated for a fall. 

Having them ranked #20 can only help us. 

• Plus1 3

A win last week would have been a signature win as would a win against OSU, Wis or Iowa if they were solidly in the top 10 and playing good ball. A win against an MSU team that just moved into the top 25, has only beaten 2 weak teams and a very questionable Miami team doesn't qualify for a signature win in my book. It would still be a great and much needed win for DONU but falls short of a true signature win.

• Plus1 1